Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I always clean the lens on my phone before taking a photo. Seems like, well, like common sense but not necessarily. A dirty lens dramatically impacts image quality...IME.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

I know, common sense is important lol. I was referring more to the fact that it gets dirty much easier than other ones I've had in the past, that's all ;)

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The useful apps are very useful to me since I actually use my device as a phone. I am on Verizon so I didn't get the option of the N5. If I had, I would have been torn.

I personally only use Active Notifications, I use Assit too but it can easily be substituted with other app. Touchless control I dont use.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I personally only use Active Notifications, I use Assit too but it can easily be substituted with other app. Touchless control I dont use.
Assist + Touchless controls is an amazing combo when you have a bluetooth device to route the calls through. I bought the Motorola Roadster Pro. My cell phone use, including texting, is totally hands and eyes free when driving! It would be better if the touchless controls would read me back my text and let me correct it verbally, but I am sure that functionality will come eventually.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
well the radios aren't as good as the Moto X. I have tested the iPhone 5s side by side with the Moto X and the Moto X beats the iPhone in data speedtests and in holding onto a 4G LTE signal.

That's not surprising. Moto's claim-to-fame is its radios. However, I've never had any issue (yet) with the radios on iGadgets.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
That's not surprising. Moto's claim-to-fame is its radios. However, I've never had any issue (yet) with he radios on iGadgets.
But you can't really tell whether or not you have issues due to the device unless you can test it side by side with another device. Because it could be the network signal. I take mine to the places I know are crappy signal areas and do the testing. The Moto X outperforms in those areas. In areas where the signal is strong, all devices, even my GNex which has the world's worst 4G LTE radio, do well.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
But you can't really tell whether or not you have issues due to the device unless you can test it side by side with another device. Because it could be the network signal. I take mine to the places I know are crappy signal areas and do the testing. The Moto X outperforms in those areas. In areas where the signal is strong, all devices, even my GNex which has the world's worst 4G LTE radio, do well.

That's what I mean. There are very few places I've been where my phone's raadios didn't do well. I live in Maryland and I have AT&T so signal is always pretty strong.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the quality issue with the Moto X camera is a little overblown. It could be better or a lot worse either way I do not purchase cell phones based on camera quality. If you do go get the Lumia 1020.

Posted via Android Central App

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the quality issue with the Moto X camera is a little overblown. It could be better or a lot worse either way I do not purchase cell phones based on camera quality. If you do go get the Lumia 1020.

Posted via Android Central App

The 1020 is too big and slow to take pics. The new crop of Nokia's may be faster and slimmer, they are what may tear me away from my MX this coming summer. I hope the MX2 has an improved camera.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Too big and too slow? OK. But the trade off is GREAT quality photos. Either way personally the ability to take good pics fast is fine with me and the X

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Update 4.4.2 seems to have improved the camera but I will have to test it for a few days. I've noticed improvement with backlight and overexposure so far but will test low light this evening.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X was intended, I believe, to be android's iPhone. ...but the iPhone has a nice camera and certainly good radios.

I agree to part of this.
iPhone should really be called iCamera that makes phone calls. A lot of iPhone buyers I know are looking for a camera first and a phone second. I bought the Moto X because I am looking for a phone first, a touch device second and camera distant third.

I find the iPhone radios weak. This has been historic, as the first iPhone was widely joked about that the only thing you couldn't do was make calls.
To come forward to today, when my family goes to the in-laws (out in the middle of nowhere), I have full 4G and solid data. Neither iPhone has any data at all.
When I call my son on his Motorola phone, it's like he's right next to me. When I talk to either iPhone, there's no mistaking that it's a cell call.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Update 4.4.2 seems to have improved the camera but I will have to test it for a few days. I've noticed improvement with backlight and overexposure so far but will test low light this evening.

Post some pics!

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Post some pics!

OK here is a pic I would've never attempted on 4.4. Just on a whim I tried it. Cropped a little but untouched. I know it's not great but would've been totally blown out before.

Attachments

• 1392088981215.jpg
    1392088981215.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 31

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Been scrolling thru some older pics and they're not that bad but as I said earlier in the thread, I've really experimented a lot with this camera and am able to take respectable shots more often than not now. I will continue to compare over this week and repost back, you all do the same.

ecobranon

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The low light abilities are a joke. Daylight photos and videos are quite acceptable for a smartphone.

Agreed...I am on my third moto x...the photos are also very inconsistent indoors..the same "still" indoor scene looks entirely different from one snap to the next...its difficult (at least for me ) to carry a newly invested phone which has a camera that is inferior to my almost one and a half year old phone. While I am at it, the sound quality is also poorer than my iphone 5 (more than obvious if you use a high end headphone). I still prefer android..and other features of the moto x are lustworthy (I am staring at the walnut back with the metallic orange accents while I complete the RMA request) but this was not the replacement i was hoping for. I will wait now for the xperia z1 compact if it ever makes it to these shores...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2