Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I obtained a $100 coupon for the Moto X so figured I'd give it a shot (Walnut/Black/Silver) to see how it compared to my Nexus 5. I was intrigued by active notifications and Moto Assist and thought they would be really useful features for me. I've had the phone for 3 days now and it's a really great device. My one major complaint (as in deal breaker bad) is the fact that the camera on this phone is pathetic. It's pretty much on the same level as an iPhone 4 from 3.5 years ago which is totally unacceptable.

I use my phone camera a lot...especially being that I'm a new father and without significant improvement, I can't justify switching from the N5. Now being that this is a 10 MP shooter with seemingly decent specs, I'm surprised that the camera can be this poor. Does anyone know if there are any plans for this camera to be upgraded via software anytime soon? I know they released an upgrade via the Play Store soon after release but this assessment is post update. I also know what camera software is capable of b/c the update to the N5 camera was basically night & day. I'm REALLY hoping this can be fixed b/c aside from the camera performance, this is a really great phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

have you updated the camera app from play store?? The initial version was pathetic but they have improved it a lot since the initial release

Its not the best of the best but they are good enough for a smartphone camera, at least for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps posting some shots? Other users can look at them and see what may be going on. I agree the camera isn't great, but I don't think it's that bad. You may have a faulty camera.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

have you updated the camera app from play store?? The initial version was pathetic but they have improved it a lot since the initial release

Its not the best of the best but they are good enough for a smartphone camera, at least for me.

From my OP:
I know they released an upgrade via the Play Store soon after release but this assessment is post update.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps posting some shots? Other users can look at them and see what may be going on. I agree the camera isn't great, but I don't think it's that bad. You may have a faulty camera.

I'll try to post some shots when I get home tonight. But my issue is when the lighting isn't ideal the shots are completely grainy and the colors are muted.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I obtained a $100 coupon for the Moto X so figured I'd give it a shot (Walnut/Black/Silver) to see how it compared to my Nexus 5. I was intrigued by active notifications and Moto Assist and thought they would be really useful features for me. I've had the phone for 3 days now and it's a really great device. My one major complaint (as in deal breaker bad) is the fact that the camera on this phone is pathetic. It's pretty much on the same level as an iPhone 4 from 3.5 years ago which is totally unacceptable.

I use my phone camera a lot...especially being that I'm a new father and without significant improvement, I can't justify switching from the N5. Now being that this is a 10 MP shooter with seemingly decent specs, I'm surprised that the camera can be this poor. Does anyone know if there are any plans for this camera to be upgraded via software anytime soon? I know they released an upgrade via the Play Store soon after release but this assessment is post update. I also know what camera software is capable of b/c the update to the N5 camera was basically night & day. I'm REALLY hoping this can be fixed b/c aside from the camera performance, this is a really great phone.

It won't get much better i'm afraid.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

It won't get much better i'm afraid.

My only question is how was Google about to improve the Nexus 5 so dramatically with a software update and Motorola can't? The hardware seems to be quite capable so why can't the software be optimized?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

My only question is how was Google about to improve the Nexus 5 so dramatically with a software update and Motorola can't? The hardware seems to be quite capable so why can't the software be optimized?

In the end the difference is the hardware. Moto had software improvements and it went from really bad to ok.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I feel like it can still be fixed with software updates. I've seen plenty good pictures from the Moto X around the internet so it seems like the camera is capable. Could be wrong... I had a GNex before this so anything new was going to be better for me.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

If you use the camera a lot as you said and the photos matter for more than just posing to media, then I would agree that the Moto X is a gamble. While I like the interface better than the Nexus 5, The Nexus 5 is slightly better in terms of quality IMO. For me neither were really good enough so I got a Lumia 925. I swap the SIM on the weekend and just carry as a camera in my backpack during the week or when I travel. The lumia camera is so much better and although the apps on WP are not quite to the point I can stay on WP, I like having both devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Post up some shots.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

IMG_20140201_174620162.jpg

Here's a picture of a couple of pulks I had just finished building. This was (admittedly) in my garage, but it was well-lit and the door was open on a relatively bright day.

It's a good snapshot camera. I love being able to twist my hand twice, locked or no, and being ready to take a photo a second or two later. I can capture photos that I'd otherwise miss with that feature.

But... is an image like this worth capturing?

This is using the default HDR - I haven't changed a single setting.

I also haven't gone out of my way to find an update in the play store - I show that I have an app called "Motorola Camera" from December 17 2013 installed. Is that the latest?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Procapture app and seem to get better results than the stock camera especially using the 16 x 10 picture size. (not sure why). The exposure is usually better.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I had the same experience. The moto x camera can give great results in good lighting. But the Nexus 5 does much better in a dimly lit room (probably due to the Nexus 5 having OIS). I found the moto X interface simpler and quicker shot-to-shot, but results indoors with low/medium light were poor. Ironically I found the moto x gave better results with video recording, but that is due to the static noise bug on the Nexus 5 when recording with low ambient noise.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea the x camera is pretty bad. I didn't take many pictures when i had one but I still thought it was barely serviceable at best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try and post some shots later with the N5 vs. the X. It's definitely not just a slight difference...it seems the Nexus 5 is MUUUUUH better than my Moto X in almost all lighting conditions. It almost looks like there's a fuzzy white filter over the X camera on most shots that I also see in natehoy's sample image above. The pictures just looked washed out with no color to them.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Here are some quick comparison shots:

moto x (auto, no flash)
x_distant_no_flash.jpg
nexus 5 (auto, no flash)
n5_distant_no_flash.jpg
moto x (auto, no flash)
x_tree_no_flash.jpg
nexus 5 (auto, no flash)
n5_tree_no_flash.jpg
moto x (auto w flash)
x_tree_flash.jpg
nexus 5 (auto w flash)
n5_tree_flash.jpg

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I'll try to post some shots when I get home tonight. But my issue is when the lighting isn't ideal the shots are completely grainy and the colors are muted.

That is because the phone raise the ISO level in low light condition. If you don't want graininess, use a third party camera app and manually adjust the ISO value. Or sell the Moto X and buy the HTC One.

sent via tapatalk

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Here are some quick comparison shots:

moto x (auto, no flash)
View attachment 103228
nexus 5 (auto, no flash)
View attachment 103229
moto x (auto, no flash)
View attachment 103232
nexus 5 (auto, no flash)
View attachment 103233
moto x (auto w flash)
View attachment 103230
nexus 5 (auto w flash)
View attachment 103231

Thank you for these pics as it demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about. It looks like there is a white, grainy filter on top of all low light images. It kills picture quality in all but ideal lighting conditions and makes the camera virtually unusable.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Might try cleaning the lens, too. A couple of your pics the whites look smudged - that might be grease on your lens.