Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Moto X I got from Best Buy for Verizon. Can the same Moto X be used on T-Mobile? Its not activated or in use.
I believe it can. I don't think anything special needs to be done to it, meaning, I think all proper radios are in the device.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Some guys wants to buy it off me. TMO is GSM, correct? So basically he just goes to T-Mobile and get the Sim card and puts it in and he's good.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
it should but you will only get edge (2g) speeds unless you are in a reframed area which im not sure which areas are reframed its probably best to be used on straight talk at&t you will get hspa+ speeds

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
it should but you will only get edge (2g) speeds unless you are in a reframed area which im not sure which areas are reframed its probably best to be used on straight talk at&t you will get hspa+ speeds

What should I tell the guy? He's asking me if it'll work on GSM. The phone is on Swappa and I don't want to give him false info.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I was about to ask almost the opposite: If I get the "T-Mobile" unlocked version to use on AT&T (which I am), would I be able to use it on Verizon and get full coverage if I decided to change? If it has all the CDMA and GSM frequencies why couldn't it be used on any network and get the full 4G/3G coverage of that network?

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
i have an at&t sim from straight talk and a t-mobile sim from t-mobile

at&t = hspa+ (4g) not LTE

t-mobile = edge (2g) unless in a reframed area

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
from what ive been reading around the web verizon wont let phones on its network unless its a verizon phone but im not 100% sure

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry some places on the web say reframed.Some say refarmed.I didnt know 4 sure so I thought it would be out of the 2 reframed because it just sounds better but if it is refarmed then sorry not everyone gets everything perfect.But thanx 4 correcting :)

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I was about to ask almost the opposite: If I get the "T-Mobile" unlocked version to use on AT&T (which I am), would I be able to use it on Verizon and get full coverage if I decided to change? If it has all the CDMA and GSM frequencies why couldn't it be used on any network and get the full 4G/3G coverage of that network?

I asked this on Motorola Chat and got this reply: "No you cannot, because the "T-Mobile" Moto X's is for GSM's. Verizon has it's own version of Moto X which is for CDMA." And also, "Yes that is correct. T-Mobile phone does not come with CDMA frequencies. You have a point there."

I would have thought it would be easier to put all the CDMA and GSM frequencies on all the phones instead of having some on one but not another, but I guess not, or maybe it has to do with the contracts with the providers. With the way people switch carriers now especially with all the no contract plans, seems like it should be required that all phones work on CDMA and GSM.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought it would be easier to put all the CDMA and GSM frequencies on all the phones instead of having some on one but not another, but I guess not, or maybe it has to do with the contracts with the providers. With the way people switch carriers now especially with all the no contract plans, seems like it should be required that all phones work on CDMA and GSM.

CDMA is not as much of a standard as GSM. More to the point, Sprint and Verizon each have put their own special sauce into their implementations of CDMA, meaning that a universal radio is a little tougher. Verizon, in particular, tends to be extremely fussy about their radio drivers and accepting phones that were not specifically built for their network and sold by them.

The LTE part (data only) would probably work fine. I've read reports about people moving the T-Mo or AT&T versions of the MotoX to Verizon and actually being able to send/receive calls and SMS/MMS text, but I have a hard time believing that to be possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie