02-13-2014 10:26 AM
68 123
tools
    Just out of curiosity, what are you worried will happen if you don't do any of this?
    Not worried, just like to keep as much to myself as possible. Would you like your medical history open to a host of corporations?

You do know that it is more than likely ALL of your medical history including your Doctor's notes from EVERY visit is available via the Internet, don't you?

My local Doc can access all test results from the local hospital and so can I. I also use the Mayo clinic for serious stuff and I too have an account with them that is accessible via the Internet. All test results, Doc notes etc I can get in the comfort of my home.

You do know that insurance companies (trusted? employees) also have full access to that data. I would assume pretty much any company related the Obama care sign-up fiasco, at last count some 250 different cross reference checks can also get at it.

BUT, I am OK with that and why? My Google name is a lot different to my real name so that the data is useless to any corporation or individual trying to cross reference it against my Google name.

That is just to name a small portion of stuff that is freely available to some or many.

If you are happy with that and a ton of other stuff being freely available then by all means use your real name.

Oh, and as an aside, I got this X a week back and already I have had 11 junk calls to the new number that I have given to no one.
    02-11-2014 09:21 AM
    Google has revoked some g+ accounts because it didn't believe the user was listing his real name.
    That was because they were able to cross-link the accounts with another reference within their own system.

That's why I said make the Recovery email address with a different company like Bing or Yahoo.
    02-11-2014 09:22 AM
    That was because they were able to cross-link the accounts with another reference within their own system.

That's why I said make the Recovery email address with a different company like Bing or Yahoo.
    Plus, I think unless someone complains about you they probably never do anything. So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    02-11-2014 09:27 AM

In Google + early days [i was a beta adapter] I saw many accounts with false credentials taken down. I am not sure how that goes today, but if it was important to stay private, I would just avoid giving giving any information to google. I am also disappointed that Google is tying reviews to personal accounts and the whole you tube thing. Very apple-esque google has been as of late.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-11-2014 09:39 AM
    I saw many accounts with false credentials taken down.
    That can only happen if they have something tangible to cross reference with. If you never give them a phone number or something else that can identify you via public records they will assume (I guess) that it may be a legitimate account name. If you used something like "Big Badbear" as First and Last names, chances are it will never see the light of day.

@mrsmumbles:
    >> So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it.

While I think that is a valid statement, it is a little off the point for this discussion, plus, who is to decide what might be "abusive?". What is unkind to some societies is dark humor to others. Ever been to New Jersey? LOL
    02-11-2014 11:06 AM
    That can only happen if they have something tangible to cross reference with. If you never give them a phone number or something else that can identify you via public records they will assume (I guess) that it may be a legitimate account name. If you used something like "Big Badbear" as First and Last names, chances are it will never see the light of day.

@mrsmumbles:
    >> So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it.

While I think that is a valid statement, it is a little off the point for this discussion, plus, who is to decide what might be "abusive?". What is unkind to some societies is dark humor to others. Ever been to New Jersey? LOL
    Maybe, but I meant try not to make any enemies. It's the safest thing. :-)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    02-11-2014 11:12 AM
    While I do agree, I would just encourage people who do violate google's terms to not completely rely on their services incase they do shut the account down. But I agree, it is kinda ridiculous to not be able to freely use the name you prefer without breaking terms.

02-11-2014 11:17 AM
    Maybe, but I meant try not to make any enemies. It's the safest thing.
    Again an agreeable suggestion, but one will never be able to appease to the lowest common denominator. Just be yourself and speak your mind. That's what the First Amendment is all about. And probably why they (our brilliant Forefathers) made it the First Amendment.
    02-11-2014 11:18 AM
    to not completely rely on their services incase they do shut the account down.
    Very sage and good advice (is that Tautology?) but to rely on any one free service is akin to putting all of one's eggs in one basket. That's why I use POP-relay of all emails so they ultimately reside on my PC and also remain untouchable from the outside.
    Johnly likes this.
    02-11-2014 11:23 AM
    Google has revoked some g+ accounts because it didn't believe the user was listing his real name. I have a friend who ultimately won the right to use his nickname, and he has a friend who didn't.
    I don't believe that. That sort of sheet would make it into the paper if Google did something like that. In what court did your friend win the right to use his nickname?
    02-11-2014 11:45 AM
    Some of the worst advice I have seen.
    Because google is going to do what to you if you do?

Clearly you all don't understand the realities of the law.
    02-11-2014 11:47 AM
    Clearly you over generalize, "mostly" would sit better -- with me at least.
    Johnly likes this.
    02-11-2014 11:52 AM
    Very sage and good advice (is that Tautology?) but to rely on any one free service is akin to putting all of one's eggs in one basket. That's why I use POP-relay of all emails so they ultimately reside on my PC and also remain untouchable from the outside.
    Thank you. I think that sums it up for me. You clearly understand that loosing data is never fun.

02-11-2014 12:23 PM
    Clearly you over generalize, "mostly" would sit better -- with me at least.
    why did you think I was talking to you? I haven't responded to you in this thread at all.
    02-11-2014 12:23 PM
    why did you think I was talking to you? I haven't responded to you in this thread at all.
    Ummm, the "all" in "you all" is collective, so I assumed that you were referring to us all.

Had you written "clearly you don't.." I would never have commented as it would have been obvious that you were referring to the quoted section.

Having said that, I totally agree with your premise that many here have no idea how the Law works when it comes to online account management.

It's all light hearted and friendly here from my standpoint.
    02-11-2014 01:02 PM
    Ummm, the "all" in "you all" is collective, so I assumed that you were referring to us all.
    I was referring to Johnly and Puzzlegal, who are the two I was conversing with.

Having said that, I totally agree with your premise that many here have no idea how the Law works when it comes to online account management.

Ok. My point was that Google isn't going to do jack about people using fake names. For them to open themselves up to a class action lawsuit interpreting their TOS would be crazy from a legal cost standpoint not to mention the harm they would do to their brand from all of us who would be disgusted by that. I would flee google's ecosystem if they ever went after the little guy to enforce their TOS as would every other person I know. They have built a multi-billion dollar international business on advertising and data mining people's personal information. But that business could vaporize if they lost the trust of their victims, er, I mean customers.

I have 4 gmail accounts, btw. And only 1 uses my real name. Google couldn't care less about it and won't do jack about it.
    02-11-2014 01:50 PM
    Ha! Talk about timing. Look what I serendipitously bumped into.

NHS patient data to be made available for sale to drug and insurance firms | Society | The Guardian

The NHS is the British equivalent of the Obama thing.
    02-11-2014 03:49 PM
    No, not even close. The NHS is a single payer government run medical care delivery system. The doctors, nurses and other medical workers are employed by the NHS to work in NHS run hospitals and clinics and the care at these facilities is free at the point of service.

All the Obama thing does is expand medicaid, which is government health insurance for the poor, and provide exchanges for people to buy private health insurance through as well as subsidies to those who qualify for subsidized private health insurance. Doctors/nurses, etc. aren't government employees and hospitals and clinics aren't government owned by and large in the US.

There are of course military and VA hospitals, which are federal government entities. Some of the larger metro areas have city or county owned facilities, but those are few and far between and people still get billed for the services they receive there; it is just that they may waive the fees for indigent uninsured patients.

Many large state universities also have medical schools and their associated faculty and hospitals/clinics are university owned, and since the universities are state institutions, you could call those government run entities. But they don't give out free care - people are charged for it and either their insurance pays for the care or they are billed for the care. Some of these universities do have indigent care programs and If someone is poor, they will reduce the bill or even waive it entirely if the person is poor enough.

The care is not free here, either, just because you have insurance. You still have deductibles, copays and coinsurance here to pay as well as annual and lifetime caps on certain services. And you get sent to collections if you don't pay.
    02-11-2014 04:28 PM
    Woah back, by my statement I meant that the DATA was going to be freely splashed around not that the medical systems were identical.

I think I will pass on further comment to this thread it is getting waaaay off topic.
    02-11-2014 04:45 PM
    Woah back, by my statement I meant that the DATA was going to be freely splashed around not that the medical systems were identical.
    Well you sure couldn't tell that by what you wrote:

But yes, you are getting waaaaay off topic as were others on this thread.
    02-11-2014 04:49 PM
    Because google is going to do what to you if you do?

I never brought up law. That is your debate. Anyone can read terms and conditions. I won't tell people what Google will or will not do. That is stupid.

02-11-2014 06:19 PM

Had you written "clearly you don't.." I would never have commented as it would have been obvious that you were referring to the quoted section.

You have great English skills. Golf clap for miles.

02-11-2014 06:20 PM
    I never brought up law. That is your debate. Anyone can read terms and conditions.
    That is exactly the problem. You think the TOS controls and it doesn't. The law controls. And beyond that, plain old common sense controls.

You may not be able to figure out what Google - a company that makes its money off of advertising and data mining people's personal communications/browsing history to more precisely target ads to people and thus increase their ad revenues - would do if someone used a fake name, but anyone who knows anything about the business world and the costs of a class action lawsuit can tell you. They ain't gonna do jack.
    02-11-2014 06:57 PM
    All - Please stay on topic.
    02-11-2014 07:04 PM
    All - Please stay on topic.
    Had to log into the site. You sounded like a mod, was about to congratulate you good sir!

It has to be complicated for some people and that is fine, they can even take responsibility for what a cooperation like Google may or may not do, but Google provides a service as long as the terms are agreed with. If those are broke, they don't have to provide said service. If someone has a fake account on AC, they can be banned without question for breaking terms of the service. It is simple.

If someone wants to guarantee people what a cooperation may or may not do for violating those terms.....fine. But I will be the reasonable super hero protecting the innocent by insuring they are aware that they don't *rely* on a fraudulent account, especially for sensitive data. I think that is a respectable service and advice that would suit someone new to this site or Google for that matter.

I had an account under Johnly on Google +. I was contacted by Google about it when it was in beta. Changed my name to keep my account.

If someone wants to make fake accounts, that is fine. But for some one to speak on Google's behalf that they won't do anything and without providing any guarantee is ludacris.

All I have said all along is don't use a fake account for sensitive data. That is a great Johnly! ~spreads cape and flies to the next troubled and miss informed scape ha ha.....keep it light folks. We can agree to disagree, we can identify stupid ideas and advice, but we must always respect each other. We all reside on earth......stardate.....91719.72
    02-11-2014 09:10 PM
68 123