Fake Review counts?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or could some app makers be faking their positive review counts?

I was looking at an app in the Play Store that I thought might be good to have. It had 1500+ 5-star count reviews so I read through a few and it all looked good. Being the cynical old fart that I am, I loaded a bunch more "Reviews" and after about five pages of lengthy ones, I started getting one or two-word 5-star reviews. I counted to ten-pages and still they kept coming so at that point I quit looking further as it sure as hell was not getting installed on my X.

Now, to this cynical old fart, those one/two word-ers looked like paid-for pluses.

As always, before installing apps, Caveat Emptor.

Thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me, or could some app makers be faking their positive review counts?

I was looking at an app in the Play Store that I thought might be good to have. It had 1500+ 5-star count reviews so I read through a few and it all looked good. Being the cynical old fart that I am, I loaded a bunch more "Reviews" and after about five pages of lengthy ones, I started getting one or two-word 5-star reviews. I counted to ten-pages and still they kept coming so at that point I quit looking further as it sure as hell was not getting installed on my X.

Now, to this cynical old fart, those one/two word-ers looked like paid-for pluses.

As always, before installing apps, Caveat Emptor.

Thoughts?

I am inclined to agree. Most of my apps are either highly recommended by many other users here, have been showcased either by AC or some other outlet (like a TV talk show, news report, etc), or are Google apps.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's possible there's nothing stopping them from having multiple Gmail accounts.

Most people leave a one star for one minute thing that they don't like, so it could be for an older versions.

It's simple for me, just get apps from good devs only and avoid junk apps.

sent via my Le Motonovo X

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I am inclined to agree. Most of my apps are either highly recommended by many other users here, have been showcased either by AC or some other outlet (like a TV talk show, news report, etc), or are Google apps.

That's pretty much what I do as well. Especially if I'm considering paying for something.

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Especially for apps that pester, to get it over with I could see reviews with few words being the rule rather than the exception.

But whether apps, amazon, tripadvisor or yelp, reviews are now a huge part of marketing which translates to money.

I've heard a lot of folks say that they would always recognize a toupee. I had a friend who lost his hair young and got a toupee, excuse me - a hair replacement system, and I could see how strangers reacted to him, nobody knew.

So be it toupees or reviews I think the truth is that people know it when they see it and they don't know it when they don't see it.

The proportion of reviews that are fakes is mind blowing.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Does it bother anyone else that Google now requires reviews to use your G+ name? I have an unusual first name, and while I don't mind if my friends see that my reviews are from me, I don't like the idea that an random stranger could be tracking what apps I download. I don't even download very exciting apps (mostly incredibly popular ones, and a few mindless games), it's just creepy.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
@ Puzzlegal:

Could a person not have two G+ accounts - one with a fake name they use only for reviews and comments etc?

Personally, I have none of that social clap trap as it is ONLY of REAL benefit to the data miners/brokers of the world. I would strongly suggest you do some research and fully understand just what you are giving up when you sign up for G+, FB, Twitter et al using a real name.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ya i have been curious lately about that and also some of the permissions these apps have.

The scariest one I've seen yet was from the NFL Mobile app. It said "Add or modify calendar events and send emails to guests without owner's knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information". I know that's what it said because I saved a screenshot, reason being I knew Verizon would never own up to it without proof. When I asked about it, they said that was someone else who writes apps, Verizon doesn't write any of the apps themselves. THAT'S comforting!!!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Does it bother anyone else that Google now requires reviews to use your G+ name? I have an unusual first name, and while I don't mind if my friends see that my reviews are from me, I don't like the idea that an random stranger could be tracking what apps I download. I don't even download very exciting apps (mostly incredibly popular ones, and a few mindless games), it's just creepy.
change the name on your G+ account to be an initial or a nickname.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a violation of the customer agreement. G+ is real-names only. And I don't have any real nick names, I'd have to just make something up. But maybe I should try it anyway.

When I signed up for G+, Google hadn't linked all their services. And I like that my friends can recognize me. I already use a picture that isn't my face, I don't really want to have to use a name that isn't my name, too.

For now, I've just stopped writing reviews. Which is sad, because I sort of like writing reviews, and get a lot of "helpful" votes for my reviews in other venues. But it's just not worth it to me.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
@ Puzzlegal:

Could a person not have two G+ accounts - one with a fake name they use only for reviews and comments etc?

Personally, I have none of that social clap trap as it is ONLY of REAL benefit to the data miners/brokers of the world. I would strongly suggest you do some research and fully understand just what you are giving up when you sign up for G+, FB, Twitter et al using a real name.
Well, it uses the one that you have linked to your phone. Yeah, if I were entering the android world today, I would create a new gmail address that I didn't give anyone, and that I only used to interact with google. But I think it's too late to do that.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have more than one gmail account and I can write reviews with either one... One is my real name and the 2nd is a pseudonym I created specifically for being able to navigate the more public areas of the internet including writing play store and other reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I think that's a violation of the customer agreement. G+ is real-names only.

Ummm, it's Google! It is not NSA or FBI etc, it is not against any Law to use any name you choose -- yet! Well, not yet until these "people who care for us," make it so!

You do understand why G= et al, want your real name and phone numbers etc? It is nothing to do with second-level account security or harsh comment in forums, it is about data gathering. Of course they would like you you use your real name. And as I have mentioned, the exact reason I would never sign up for that stuff. There is already way too much personal information available as Public Record without leaning into the data miners' punch and giving them more -- for free.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have more than one gmail account and I can write reviews with either one... One is my real name and the 2nd is a pseudonym I created specifically for being able to navigate the more public areas of the internet including writing play store and other reviews.

I have a second gmail account. How can I do that with it? Tia.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm trying to remember, they don't make it simple. It has to be associated with your phone, so you add it into your phone after you create it on Google for a new gmail account. Log into it in the play store app and download your apps with it if you want to review them. Any app you paid for, if you redownload it with the alternate email, you'll have to pay for it again of course. But once you add it to your phone (in Accounts Settings) you can use it to write reviews, etc. I might be forgetting steps, or adding unnecessary steps. I did this in the fall so it's hard to remember. :-/ But it can definitely be done. :)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont use my correct legal name so to speak on G+/gmail account, but it is my name.
Also for my last name its just the "first letter" in my last name not my last name spelled out. I dont have multible accounts

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

It is too late for that account. You need to create another new one but first get a new Yahoo or Bing account as the "Recovery" account that G will ask for during the set up. Do NOT have anything on one group (Google, Yahoo, Bing) linking directly to another account within that same G/Y/B, service. Make sure you are logged out of all things connected to G, Play Store, Motorola etc and restart your browser. Clear browser cache and History. OK, that's a bit extreme, but it's what I would do.

Do not use your real cell phone number if asked during the sign up. I always leave that blank.

Once the account is set up, on the phone got to
Settings
Accounts
+Add Account

Add in the new G-account, then long-tap the existing account and drop down the menu (top-right) and tap "Remove" now the new account becomes the only one for the phone.

Finally, if you use wifi at home to connect to the Internet, then at night when you go to bed turn off the router. That means when you turn it on in the morning there is a very good chance your ISP will assign you a new IP address from their IP-pool. You will have a rolling range of IP addresses that will make it less obvious to an online store etc that it is you - again. :) That will/should work for your cell assigned IP address too by shutting the phone off at night, not just sleep it, but turn it off. They to should/will assign the IP from their pool.

Just think it all through, it is not hard. I have never given up my cell phone number to anyone online, nor should you. Gordon Gekko might also have said, "Devious is good!"

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I used an account that already existed. My goal wasn't to completely disguise myself but just to use an account that didn't have my name on it for the sake of writing reviews.

If you remove an account from your phone you'll lose all the contacts and data associated with it until you add it back in when hopefully that will all re-sync.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It is too late for that account. You need to create another new one but first get a new Yahoo or Bing account as the "Recovery" account that G will ask for during the set up. Do NOT have anything on one group (Google, Yahoo, Bing) linking directly to another account within that same G/Y/B, service. Make sure you are logged out of all things connected to G, Play Store, Motorola etc and restart your browser. Clear browser cache and History. OK, that's a bit extreme, but it's what I would do.

Do not use your real cell phone number if asked during the sign up. I always leave that blank.

Once the account is set up, on the phone got to
Settings
Accounts
+Add Account

Add in the new G-account, then long-tap the existing account and drop down the menu (top-right) and tap "Remove" now the new account becomes the only one for the phone.

Finally, if you use wifi at home to connect to the Internet, then at night when you go to bed turn off the router. That means when you turn it on in the morning there is a very good chance your ISP will assign you a new IP address from their IP-pool. You will have a rolling range of IP addresses that will make it less obvious to an online store etc that it is you - again. :) That will/should work for your cell assigned IP address too by shutting the phone off at night, not just sleep it, but turn it off. They to should/will assign the IP from their pool.

Just think it all through, it is not hard. I have never given up my cell phone number to anyone online, nor should you. Gordon Gekko might also have said, "Devious is good!"

Just out of curiosity, what are you worried will happen if you don't do any of this?