05-28-2015 02:51 AM
62 123
tools
    Tiny, delicate electronics with glass screens are going to break if you drop them. Even if you put screen protectors, and cases, and bubble-wrap all over the phone, if you drop at at the right angle, it will break. Of course, if you do all of that, you get a bit more protection, but you also don't get to enjoy the device you just spent a lot of money on.

The screen on the Moto X is the same Gorilla Glass that is used on all of the other smartphones out there. It is no more or less durable than any other device. The key is to not drop it.

Since I don't skydive or cliff jump, I "live dangerously" by not bothering to put a case on my phone, or get insurance from the manufacturer or the service provider. Just try to be careful and enjoy your device.
    asdrew and ScottMGS like this.
    02-11-2014 02:06 AM
    I can tell you that mine is constantly getting dropped every which way and banged up pretty mercilessly on concrete floors at jobsites and I don't have so much as a scratch on the screen. I do have a Seidio Surface case with kickstand on it but don't use any kind of screen protection. Most of the time it resides in my back pocket where it gets sat on and bumped into. My experience after 5 didn't Motorola devices is that they don't do fragile. The only phone I've owned that ever broke the screen was a Droid Incredible from HTC that regrettably replaced and OG Droid.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-11-2014 02:10 AM
    I am a bit worried and am thinking of just going with the HTC One, which I don't really want to do.
    You should consider the HTC One Google Play Edition, it's still a very good phone. I still think from all the consensus the Oppo Find 5 is most likely a little more durable than the One though, but it's over a year old so I would get something else.

sent via Le Motonovo X
    02-11-2014 03:02 AM
    I've had a few heart pausing drops (I have toddlers), but so far no damage.
    02-11-2014 04:25 AM
    Never damaged any of my cell- or smartphones over a fifteen year period, despite a spectacular fall onto the OG Droid in my back pocket and several drops. Never, that was, until dropping my X a lousy 18", shattering the screen.

The next one will have a bumper. Absolutely love the phone otherwise.
    02-11-2014 12:30 PM
    I am in the same boat as STC09; I have had a cell phone since around '97, mostly Moto's and, despite some major falls and bouncing on concrete floors. I never broke one. I have had them die but never broke one. I had my X for exactly 80 days when it took a tumble of about 2 1/2 feet, landed on the bottom right corner and shattered the screen. Usually I have it in a portfolio style case; just works better for me sitting in my pocket, the one time I take it out it gets destroyed. Also i n the 1st week, before I could get the screen protected, something did put a 3/32 long nick in the screen, which surprised me.

One of the great things about the hands free capability of this phone is that it saves me from running my fingers over the shattered surface when I need to make a call, send a text; or route a way to my next destination with google maps; the voice commands work pretty darn good.

Moto wanted around $200 to replace the screen, and a local shop quoted me even more than that. Fortunately I bought the phone using an American Express card and they include a 90 day buyer protection plan; since the phone broke within that period they refunded the entire cost of the phone and I bought a new one.

FWIW
    02-12-2014 07:51 PM
    I am in the same boat as STC09...Fortunately I bought the phone using an American Express card and they include a 90 day buyer protection plan; since the phone broke within that period they refunded the entire cost of the phone and I bought a new one.
    Wow, we really were in the same boat - AmEx came through for me too.
    02-12-2014 09:54 PM
    I've had smart phones since 2007 and I have never had a broken screen. I'm pretty careful with my electronic gadgets and when it comes time to sell them I always get top dollar. If you really like the X then go for it. Don't let the slight possibility of a screen breakage dissuade you from getting the phone you want. Any screen can break and I wouldn't lend much credence to that video showing the X as the winner. Each phone hit the concrete differently hence the differences in damage. I bought a nice case on Amazon for around $6 landed and it adds virtually no bulk to the phone. It actually has a nice feel to it. It is called bear motion. Great case and will give you an extra measure of protection without forfeiting the form factor of the Moto X.
    02-24-2014 01:27 AM
    I had mine a couple weeks with a good case that closes on the front , fell out of hand getting in car, pick it up and the screen has a crack from top left to bottom. Can't believe it, never have had a cracked screen and have had worse drops than that with my razormaxx. Still can't believe it cracked with a full case on it. It is like an eggshell, .really bucks because it seems like a cool phone otherwise.
    03-08-2014 02:13 AM
    I have dropped a phone a few times before on laminated wood flooring and it hasn't got a dent or a scratch on the screen. Personally I like this way better than apples turd.
    06-05-2014 01:13 PM
    A couple weeks ago I dropped my X as I was walking. The phone hit the ground right in front of my foot as I was taking a step and I ended up drop-kicking my phone face-down 5 feet across the cement and another 10 feet across brick. My TPU case got a little scuffed, the bezel around the glass was dented in two places (it hit hard enough to push the case up) and there was one scratch on the screen protector that I don't think went through to the glass (I haven't replaced it yet). Any glass will shatter if it hits wrong. I got lucky. Others... not so much.
    06-05-2014 03:52 PM
    My X has survived several drops that I know for sure would have cracked my old GS3.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    Snake Griffin likes this.
    06-05-2014 04:54 PM
    It's the edge to edge glass that's a problem. The glass is strong unless it gets a hit to the edge. That's just how it works. If you take a hammer to a glass shower panel and hit it as hard as you can it will likely not break. A light tap to the edge of the glass though and it will shatter to pieces. The strength of the edge bumper on the phone makes a huge difference. The Moto has more edge than some. Take a look at the Google Nexus. That one is super fragile. The metal ring around the edge of the iPhone gives it better than average protection.
    06-06-2014 12:21 PM
    It's the edge to edge glass that's a problem. The glass is strong unless it gets a hit to the edge. That's just how it works. If you take a hammer to a glass shower panel and hit it as hard as you can it will likely not break. A light tap to the edge of the glass though and it will shatter to pieces. The strength of the edge bumper on the phone makes a huge difference. The Moto has more edge than some. Take a look at the Google Nexus. That one is super fragile. The metal ring around the edge of the iPhone gives it better than average protection.
    This.

Any device will break if dropped at the right angle. My mother broke an iFone that landed on its face on a tile floor from about 3 feet up. I've never broken a screen. I also don't drop my devices.

06-12-2014 08:07 AM
    To the OP:

Holy over reaction Batman! Might as well buy a phone made for construction sites wrapped in one inch of rubber.

As far as smartphones go this phone is pretty tough. It's very well put together. For every person that complains about a broken screen because of X,Y or Z there are a hundred or more that have never had any of those problems and don't chime in on the internet to tell you that their phone is doing well after one or more drops. I've dropped mine several times around the house and not a scratch or even a rattle in it. I've also had it fall out of my hand from between waist and chest height onto hard pavement and land face down and the screen is in perfect condition; the corner of the phone hit first before landing screen down so there is a small scratch on the corner that doesn't bother me one bit. I do not use a case and I do not use a screen protector. If you really want this phone and then get it - don't let this be a deterrent.
    06-12-2014 11:18 AM
    I don't drop my phones for the same reason I don't drop babies.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1
    06-12-2014 11:36 AM
    I don't drop my phones for the same reason I don't drop babies.
    So with that logic I don't have car accidents so I don't need to put my baby in a car seat right?
    06-12-2014 02:14 PM
    So with that logic I don't have car accidents so I don't need to put my baby in a car seat right?
    Up until fairly recently (relatively) people didn't even USE car seats...and we still managed to survive as a species. Go figure. Also, I said I don't drop my phones...that doesn't mean noone else does.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1
    06-12-2014 06:26 PM
    Let's try to avoid trolling. If we have constructive comments to add, lets do that. If not, lets move along.
    06-12-2014 08:06 PM
    I rarely ever drop my phone but I still use a case on my phone. I use the Trident Kraken case. It does limit the ability to touch the side of the screen but this is one sturdy case.

Though, I do have a 7 month old that loves to grab my phone, chew on it, bang it around and throw it. Neither the case or phone has a bit of damage.

06-12-2014 08:30 PM
    Just posted a new thread but apparently Motorola is replacing cracked screens for free for the first accident. Only if you bought online through Motorola though. Very cool!
    06-13-2014 12:28 AM
    If there is such a problem that they will replace the phone at no charge, why won't they replace non-online purchased phones? I was talked into not buying with Motomaker by Verizon agent and got it in store. Never had a cracked screen on any phone before and now this one is cracked after a 'soft' drop low onto carpet. It's frustrating knowing there is a product-wide issue with such a great phone and I can't get the same support as an owner who has the same device.
    06-13-2014 07:29 AM
    I use a screen protector because I hate getting my screen scratched.
    Having said that, however, my moto x screen is one of the most durable screens of any phone I have ever used.

06-13-2014 08:02 AM
    I use a screen protector because I hate getting my screen scratched.
    Having said that, however, my moto x screen is one of the most durable screens of any phone I have ever used.

Yeah, i have to say, my phone has no scratches at all and i've been without a screen protector for months now. it goes in my purse with whatevers in there, and i don't take tender care of my phone in terms of it's surface. I'm kind of impressed.
    06-13-2014 06:56 PM
    I recently just shattered my Moto X screen, I was getting out of the car with my shorts on, and the phone "supposedly" in the shorts. But it looks like those shorts have some BIG slippery pockets and the phone slid out and fell flat, face down on the concrete(it was less than 2 feet for sure). I've only ever dropped a phone one other time, and what's funny is that it was the exact same way, and even funnier the exact same shorts!! (I'm totally burning them now). Now the whole screen replacement costs around $230, that's also funny because I got the phone for $240. I want to look into replacing just the glass, but then it can create bubbles and it loses sensitivity for sure, not to mention the difficulty and risk of the process. My level of frustration is just too high. Suggestions?
    07-17-2014 09:19 AM
62 123