11-27-2014 09:13 AM
66 123
tools
    You have no clue why any of the stuff is happening for all you know a cloud went over your house and the lack of reception increased Android OS because of scanning or a Solar Flare just reached your location causing increased magnetic interference. Your just guessing and not in a laboratory environment with the ability to exclude anything. Your just some bloke taking note of a few points and ignoring the huge range of other factors that could be effecting your results. For bloody sakes you don't even have a control to compare to in real time.
    Wow... Really?

Posted via my Moto X DE
    droidman2177 likes this.
    02-11-2014 06:35 PM
    Wow... Really?

Posted via my Moto X DE
    Really really.
    02-11-2014 07:11 PM
    Really really.
    Why so serious?

We're really going off of what we're experiencing on a day to day basis when comparing the run times and how we see them affect our usage. Is it an exact controlled experiment... No. But user experience is what people come to the board to look for.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 and droidman2177 like this.
    02-11-2014 08:44 PM
    You have no clue why any of the stuff is happening for all you know a cloud went over your house and the lack of reception increased Android OS because of scanning or a Solar Flare just reached your location causing increased magnetic interference. Your just guessing and not in a laboratory environment with the ability to exclude anything. Your just some bloke taking note of a few points and ignoring the huge range of other factors that could be effecting your results. For bloody sakes you don't even have a control to compare to in real time.
    Yeah you need to chill. Its not that serious at all. Its a dang phone we are talking about.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    GadgetGator and droidman2177 like this.
    02-11-2014 09:20 PM
    Damn solar flares killing my signal.
    A895, jlgraham and droidman2177 like this.
    02-11-2014 09:24 PM
    Damn solar flares killing my signal.
    Your signal. Damn solar flares messed with my Android OS causing battery drain.

droidman2177 and pdj like this.
    02-11-2014 09:38 PM
    I might be crazy, but my phone seems to get glitchy when installing a new app on ART. Perhaps it's because the app has to be optimized?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    02-11-2014 11:26 PM
    I might be crazy, but my phone seems to get glitchy when installing a new app on ART. Perhaps it's because the app has to be optimized?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Yup.

cq1125 likes this.
    02-12-2014 12:37 AM
    When I switched back I'm still getting Google services disconnect or whatever. Everything still works fine. I only get that message when I restart my phone tho.

Those damn solar flares and clouds are stealing my signal... And battery life... It's funny because I actually have learned the effects of solar flares on vhf uhf and gps signals. I'm a meteorologist by trade. And we've had very quiet solar activity for quite a while. And if a cloud is killing my battery... All these cell phone companies are great cuz they duped a lot of people.

But I digress... My Vzw signal is usually really good most of the places I go... Regardless of solar activity or cloud conditions.

Posted via my Moto X DE
    A895 likes this.
    02-12-2014 05:26 AM
    UPDATE 2: Performance on ART has been good and battery life has been just as good as before. One thing I am noticing since switching back to ART since yesterday is that the "Google Services has stopped running" message has not shown up like it did before on ART. If I do see it again I will post again.

02-12-2014 08:49 AM
    Why so serious?

We're really going off of what we're experiencing on a day to day basis when comparing the run times and how we see them affect our usage. Is it an exact controlled experiment... No. But user experience is what people come to the board to look for.

Posted via Android Central App
    There are loads of data from real scientific method testing of ART vs Dalvik that is publicly available. I am just blown away but the "ignorance is bliss" be celebrated here. If coming to this board is about guessing and speculation incorrectly of already well known applied knowledge than things have changed alot and I will let you get back to your thread of fiction and I hope I didn't over agitate things with reality.

I am deeply sorry.
    02-12-2014 10:15 AM
    UPDATE 2: Performance on ART has been good and battery life has been just as good as before. One thing I am noticing since switching back to ART since yesterday is that the "Google Services has stopped running" message has not shown up like it did before on ART. If I do see it again I will post again.

I'm still having Android OS eating my battery on art. It's weird. I dont remember that before.

Posted via my Moto X DE
    02-12-2014 10:16 AM
    I have had ART turned on since the OTA 4.4.2 yesterday morning and have noticed an improvement in battery drain, although after only 24-hours way too soon to call that a qualified statement.

Apps launch quite a bit faster as would be expected since they do not need compiling on call. There have always been apps compiled and running in the background and ART only adds a few more to that list, so battery life should not be affected too much, if at all. And, as I noted, my battery life appears to have improved a little.

If you are experiencing a large increase in battery drain then it will almost certainly be the fault of after-market apps you have installed that are now doing stuff because they are sitting idling in the background. Those app developers need to take into account that ART may be running and they should change their apps to only be doing stuff that is really needed until it is called to the foreground. ART is currently experimental and so it will take some time for the developers to catch up, if they care enough and my guess is they will not.

As a programmer, I am sure ART is the way of the future for Android apps. Until using Android prior to ART, the last interpreter/JIT language I used was BASIC back in about 1981.

It will take Google to set an edict for the Play Store and ART compatibility, much as they have recently done with the Dev-shame, "Designed for phones" but give ART compatibility some teeth to force the devs to get ff their butts.

It's early ART days yet, but I see many good things to come of it.
    02-12-2014 10:19 AM
    There are loads of data from real scientific method testing of ART vs Dalvik that is publicly available. I am just blown away but the "ignorance is bliss" be celebrated here. If coming to this board is about guessing and speculation incorrectly of already well known applied knowledge than things have changed alot and I will let you get back to your thread of fiction and I hope I didn't over agitate things with reality.

I am deeply sorry.
    If you would point to some links besides just talking so condescending to us then we would be happy to hear you. But all you are saying is "you're wrong and don't know what you are talking about".

jlgraham and droidman2177 like this.
    02-12-2014 11:39 AM
    If you would point to some links
    While I am kinda on the side of Zedorda, the continuing poorly informed technical levels exhibited in a lot of posts here, does get frustrating to read with so many incorrect assumptions portrayed as facts.

A google of...

android art v dalvik

...responds with 495,000 hits and lots of valid and factual information available to all who care to educate themselves.

Some forum discussions can be a little like the old saw, "don't let facts spoil a good story."
    02-12-2014 11:59 AM
    While I am kinda on the side of Zedorda, the continuing poorly informed technical levels exhibited in a lot of posts here, does get frustrating to read with so many incorrect assumptions portrayed as facts.

A google of...

android art v dalvik

...responds with 495,000 hits and lots of valid and factual information available to all who care to educate themselves.

Some forum discussions can be a little like the old saw, "don't let facts spoil a good story."
    So you and Zedrorda are telling me that whatever changes I'm noticing is wrong? This is coming form a pure non technical view. If I saw some changes between the two am I wrong to say what I saw and experienced? Its like saying aliens aren't real yet we have 1,000s of eyewitnesses who say otherwise though we can't say what they saw was real or fake because we as outsiders was not there when the occurrence happened to say they were wrong or right.

droidman2177 likes this.
    02-12-2014 12:29 PM
    @A895:
    No, not at all and I should have added to the last statement, that I kinda agree with Zedorda, I do not agree with the way he/she put their statement.

If you say it, I accept that is what you saw or experienced. I am frustrated with some posts here, as I assume is Zedorda, is that the reasons for whatever phenomena is being discussed are more often than not, technically very misplaced and cannot be justified.

While you are correct that Zedorda should have given you some links to uphold his/her opinion, you on the other hand, instead of being indignant and wounded, should have done a quick google if for no other reason than to try and prove Zedorda incorrect and validate your point with published facts.

If you read this post I made earlier, you can begin to understand why battery life is shorter with ART.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post3450424

I had 162 apps pre-compiled when I activated ART, only 11 of which I had downloaded and installed. All current apps NOT designed to run with ART will more than likely eat battery power as they will be in a running state even when in the background. So, they point we are trying to make is that ART may well be appearing to use more battery when it is actually the apps that ART now has running as opposed tt them sitting dead cold and dormant until requested by a finger tap under Dalvik.

It is NOT ART per se, as my battery levels have actually improved slightly. That may be because I use two apps a lot and now with them pre-compiled, ART just jumps them to the fore whereas Dalvik had to compile them and that used power every time I tapped one of those apps.

It's all about apportioning the blame correctly and it ain't ART.
    02-12-2014 01:21 PM
    @A895:
    No, not at all and I should have added to the last statement, that I kinda agree with Zedorda, I do not agree with the way he/she put their statement.

If you say it, I accept that is what you saw or experienced. I am frustrated with some posts here, as I assume is Zedorda, is that the reasons for whatever phenomena is being discussed are more often than not, technically very misplaced and cannot be justified.

While you are correct that Zedorda should have given you some links to uphold his/her opinion, you on the other hand, instead of being indignant and wounded, should have done a quick google if for no other reason than to try and prove Zedorda incorrect and validate your point with published facts.

If you read this post I made earlier, you can begin to understand why battery life is shorter with ART.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post3450424

I had 162 apps pre-compiled when I activated ART, only 11 of which I had downloaded and installed. All current apps NOT designed to run with ART will more than likely eat battery power as they will be in a running state even when in the background. So, they point we are trying to make is that ART may well be appearing to use more battery when it is actually the apps that ART now has running as opposed tt them sitting dead cold and dormant until requested by a finger tap under Dalvik.

It is NOT ART per se, as my battery levels have actually improved slightly. That may be because I use two apps a lot and now with them pre-compiled, ART just jumps them to the fore whereas Dalvik had to compile them and that used power every time I tapped one of those apps.

It's all about apportioning the blame correctly and it ain't ART.
    I am not wounded. I am not blaming anything on ART. I blamed Android OS which was causing my battery life to be shorter on Dalvik.

02-12-2014 01:38 PM
    I blamed Android OS which was causing my battery life to be shorter on Dalvik.
    Well, quite a few things wrong there.

1:
    First blaming Android OS for the issue is like blaming the back seat of your car for the car's poor fuel mileage. If there were no back seat the car would be lighter and thus use less fuel. Hmm, I see your point.
    2:
    In order to use ART and see the issues YOU had to enable it and that was not a simple task. Eight taps to developer status, select and accept the ART conditions, then sit there while it rebooted and compiled all the installed apps. AND THEN, you blame the OS?
    3:
    You are refusing to, or do not understand what I have explained several times now that it is the NOT DESIGNED FOR ART third party apps YOU installed that are now running in compiled form compared to sitting dormant under Dalvik.

Seems to me you are not happy with something you have done and are looking for someone else to blame. The solution is simple, return it to Dalvik.

Note to myself, must read Thomas Gray again as I have been overlooking the fundamentals of the human spirit.

'nuff from me. Woohoo Gray has stirred from the depths just when I thought all had been lost!
    02-12-2014 03:00 PM
    Well, quite a few things wrong there.

1:
    First blaming Android OS for the issue is like blaming the back seat of your car for the car's poor fuel mileage. If there were no back seat the car would be lighter and thus use less fuel. Hmm, I see your point.
    2:
    In order to use ART and see the issues YOU had to enable it and that was not a simple task. Eight taps to developer status, select and accept the ART conditions, then sit there while it rebooted and compiled all the installed apps. AND THEN, you blame the OS?
    3:
    You are refusing to, or do not understand what I have explained several times now that it is the NOT DESIGNED FOR ART third party apps YOU installed that are now running in compiled form compared to sitting dormant under Dalvik.

Seems to me you are not happy with something you have done and are looking for someone else to blame. The solution is simple, return it to Dalvik.

Note to myself, must read Thomas Gray again as I have been overlooking the fundamentals of the human spirit.

'nuff from me. Woohoo Gray has stirred from the depths just when I thought all had been lost!
    This would be all solved by looking at the screenshot I posted. Android OS under battery stats was using a lot of my battery life. I am not looking to blame anyone, its a PHONE it's not that serious I was just posting my findings (non scientific). The technicalities while important, not that serious because its not a scientific experiment. Its more amateur casual, stuff I saw.

02-12-2014 03:23 PM
    This would be all solved by looking at the screenshot I posted. Android OS under battery stats was using a lot of my battery life. I am not looking to blame anyone, its a PHONE it's not that serious I was just posting my findings (non scientific). The technicalities while important, not that serious because its not a scientific experiment. Its more amateur casual, stuff I saw.

895...So it got kind of buried by all the "you're not talking scientific enough" posts. But I'm still having Android OS use the largest part of battery usage. It wasn't like that the first time I switched to Art. Did yours go back down after switching back to Art? Maybe I need to go back and forth again or wait for the 4.4.2 update. I dunno. I got a new battery monitor to try to see what's causing Android OS to use so much. Curious what u have seen since u switched back... Unscientific results are fine with me... Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE
    02-12-2014 07:46 PM
    UPDATE 3: ART has definitely increased battery life. Big difference between what it was before. Android OS is still the biggest battery drain outside of the screen.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: ART vs Dalvik-1392271928202.jpg  
    02-13-2014 12:12 AM
    Mine hadn't flipped that much yet. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days. I still got like 16 hours before charge last night with nearly 3 hrs screen time and about 35% battery left

Posted via my Moto X DE
    02-13-2014 07:36 AM
    So I went back to dalvik and then back to Art again and my Android OS usage went back down. It was weird that I had to basically toggle it back and forth.

Posted via my Moto X DE
    02-14-2014 01:26 PM
    UPDATE 4: I have been running Dalvik for the past day and a half. Battery life has improved compared to before when I was on Dalvik but, Android OS is still the biggest battery sucker besides the Screen. Overall Dalvik is doing better than ART usually does. I'm at 38% at 10:26 P.M. with 3 hrs and 19 min of on screen time. 13 hours and 38 min on battery.

02-22-2014 09:26 PM
66 123