Moto X: ART vs Dalvik

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X ART vs Dalvik

While I am kinda on the side of Zedorda, the continuing poorly informed technical levels exhibited in a lot of posts here, does get frustrating to read with so many incorrect assumptions portrayed as facts.

A google of...

android art v dalvik

...responds with 495,000 hits and lots of valid and factual information available to all who care to educate themselves.

Some forum discussions can be a little like the old saw, "don't let facts spoil a good story."

So you and Zedrorda are telling me that whatever changes I'm noticing is wrong? This is coming form a pure non technical view. If I saw some changes between the two am I wrong to say what I saw and experienced? Its like saying aliens aren't real yet we have 1,000s of eyewitnesses who say otherwise though we can't say what they saw was real or fake because we as outsiders was not there when the occurrence happened to say they were wrong or right.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

@A895:
No, not at all and I should have added to the last statement, that I kinda agree with Zedorda, I do not agree with the way he/she put their statement.

If you say it, I accept that is what you saw or experienced. I am frustrated with some posts here, as I assume is Zedorda, is that the reasons for whatever phenomena is being discussed are more often than not, technically very misplaced and cannot be justified.

While you are correct that Zedorda should have given you some links to uphold his/her opinion, you on the other hand, instead of being indignant and wounded, should have done a quick google if for no other reason than to try and prove Zedorda incorrect and validate your point with published facts.

If you read this post I made earlier, you can begin to understand why battery life is shorter with ART.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/361097-moto-x-art-vs-dalvik-2.html#post3450424

I had 162 apps pre-compiled when I activated ART, only 11 of which I had downloaded and installed. All current apps NOT designed to run with ART will more than likely eat battery power as they will be in a running state even when in the background. So, they point we are trying to make is that ART may well be appearing to use more battery when it is actually the apps that ART now has running as opposed tt them sitting dead cold and dormant until requested by a finger tap under Dalvik.

It is NOT ART per se, as my battery levels have actually improved slightly. That may be because I use two apps a lot and now with them pre-compiled, ART just jumps them to the fore whereas Dalvik had to compile them and that used power every time I tapped one of those apps.

It's all about apportioning the blame correctly and it ain't ART. :)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

@A895:
No, not at all and I should have added to the last statement, that I kinda agree with Zedorda, I do not agree with the way he/she put their statement.

If you say it, I accept that is what you saw or experienced. I am frustrated with some posts here, as I assume is Zedorda, is that the reasons for whatever phenomena is being discussed are more often than not, technically very misplaced and cannot be justified.

While you are correct that Zedorda should have given you some links to uphold his/her opinion, you on the other hand, instead of being indignant and wounded, should have done a quick google if for no other reason than to try and prove Zedorda incorrect and validate your point with published facts.

If you read this post I made earlier, you can begin to understand why battery life is shorter with ART.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/361097-moto-x-art-vs-dalvik-2.html#post3450424

I had 162 apps pre-compiled when I activated ART, only 11 of which I had downloaded and installed. All current apps NOT designed to run with ART will more than likely eat battery power as they will be in a running state even when in the background. So, they point we are trying to make is that ART may well be appearing to use more battery when it is actually the apps that ART now has running as opposed tt them sitting dead cold and dormant until requested by a finger tap under Dalvik.

It is NOT ART per se, as my battery levels have actually improved slightly. That may be because I use two apps a lot and now with them pre-compiled, ART just jumps them to the fore whereas Dalvik had to compile them and that used power every time I tapped one of those apps.

It's all about apportioning the blame correctly and it ain't ART. :)

I am not wounded. I am not blaming anything on ART. I blamed Android OS which was causing my battery life to be shorter on Dalvik.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I blamed Android OS which was causing my battery life to be shorter on Dalvik.

Well, quite a few things wrong there.

1:
First blaming Android OS for the issue is like blaming the back seat of your car for the car's poor fuel mileage. If there were no back seat the car would be lighter and thus use less fuel. Hmm, I see your point.
2:
In order to use ART and see the issues YOU had to enable it and that was not a simple task. Eight taps to developer status, select and accept the ART conditions, then sit there while it rebooted and compiled all the installed apps. AND THEN, you blame the OS?
3:
You are refusing to, or do not understand what I have explained several times now that it is the NOT DESIGNED FOR ART third party apps YOU installed that are now running in compiled form compared to sitting dormant under Dalvik.

Seems to me you are not happy with something you have done and are looking for someone else to blame. The solution is simple, return it to Dalvik.

Note to myself, must read Thomas Gray again as I have been overlooking the fundamentals of the human spirit.

'nuff from me. Woohoo Gray has stirred from the depths just when I thought all had been lost!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Well, quite a few things wrong there.

1:
First blaming Android OS for the issue is like blaming the back seat of your car for the car's poor fuel mileage. If there were no back seat the car would be lighter and thus use less fuel. Hmm, I see your point.
2:
In order to use ART and see the issues YOU had to enable it and that was not a simple task. Eight taps to developer status, select and accept the ART conditions, then sit there while it rebooted and compiled all the installed apps. AND THEN, you blame the OS?
3:
You are refusing to, or do not understand what I have explained several times now that it is the NOT DESIGNED FOR ART third party apps YOU installed that are now running in compiled form compared to sitting dormant under Dalvik.

Seems to me you are not happy with something you have done and are looking for someone else to blame. The solution is simple, return it to Dalvik.

Note to myself, must read Thomas Gray again as I have been overlooking the fundamentals of the human spirit.

'nuff from me. Woohoo Gray has stirred from the depths just when I thought all had been lost!

This would be all solved by looking at the screenshot I posted. Android OS under battery stats was using a lot of my battery life. I am not looking to blame anyone, its a PHONE it's not that serious I was just posting my findings (non scientific). The technicalities while important, not that serious because its not a scientific experiment. Its more amateur casual, stuff I saw.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This would be all solved by looking at the screenshot I posted. Android OS under battery stats was using a lot of my battery life. I am not looking to blame anyone, its a PHONE it's not that serious I was just posting my findings (non scientific). The technicalities while important, not that serious because its not a scientific experiment. Its more amateur casual, stuff I saw.

895...So it got kind of buried by all the "you're not talking scientific enough" posts. But I'm still having Android OS use the largest part of battery usage. It wasn't like that the first time I switched to Art. Did yours go back down after switching back to Art? Maybe I need to go back and forth again or wait for the 4.4.2 update. I dunno. I got a new battery monitor to try to see what's causing Android OS to use so much. Curious what u have seen since u switched back... Unscientific results are fine with me... Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE 3: ART has definitely increased battery life. Big difference between what it was before. Android OS is still the biggest battery drain outside of the screen.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1392271928202.jpg
    1392271928202.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 66

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Mine hadn't flipped that much yet. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days. I still got like 16 hours before charge last night with nearly 3 hrs screen time and about 35% battery left

Posted via my Moto X DE

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

So I went back to dalvik and then back to Art again and my Android OS usage went back down. It was weird that I had to basically toggle it back and forth.

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 4: I have been running Dalvik for the past day and a half. Battery life has improved compared to before when I was on Dalvik but, Android OS is still the biggest battery sucker besides the Screen. Overall Dalvik is doing better than ART usually does. I'm at 38% at 10:26 P.M. with 3 hrs and 19 min of on screen time. 13 hours and 38 min on battery.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

If you would point to some links besides just talking so condescending to us then we would be happy to hear you. But all you are saying is "you're wrong and don't know what you are talking about".

@A895-I can't belive these posts. You guys are just having a conversation about your experiences and then the seemingly Know-it alls are all over you. It is totally ridiculous. I know it is hard, but I would try and ignore these posts. Who knows who these people are. I am enjoying reading about your experiences even though there are "no controls" in your methods. Good grief. Carry on, please.

Justin Bannon

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

After reading all these comments, I decided just to find out for myself and upgrade to ART. I made the right choice, at least for now. It's still early to tell, but it is SO much faster in every way. Even web browsing in stable Chrome is smooth. I'm running 4.4.2 on VZW with Go Launcher Ex on top, but not much else besides the 208 apps the Moto X had to upgrade from Dalvik to ART.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE 5: I have been running Dalvik with the 4.4.2. update and I have had very good battery life. As in truly all day battery life. Performance has been great and web browsing is super smooth.

via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I have been using ART ever since the OTA 4.4 roll out. This is a screen shot from 9 this morning.
Battery use 001.gif

I should mention that I have removed a lot of the surplus apps that I never use. Currently 37 in the "Disabled" list for apps. :)

Last edited:

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

There are loads of data from real scientific method testing of ART vs Dalvik that is publicly available. I am just blown away but the "ignorance is bliss" be celebrated here. If coming to this board is about guessing and speculation incorrectly of already well known applied knowledge than things have changed alot and I will let you get back to your thread of fiction and I hope I didn't over agitate things with reality.

I am deeply sorry.

Well to paraphrase Commander Tucker on Enterprise----Books and laboratories aren't the real world.

What may work perfectly on the experiment devices (subject and control) is not necessarily applicable to what will happen with your device or mine. There are too many factors besides solar or atmospheric interference to make actual, scientifically approved testing possible when the phones actually leave the testing facility. I don't think I'm stating anything that most of the posters on this forum already know....and neither are you.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have now been running ART on my Moto X for the past 2-3 weeks straight. I thought I would post my findings below:

Performance:
I think performance was very good, I could consistently juggle multiple apps all the time. But, there is a caveat; web browsing sucks. I tried multiple web browsers and finally I got consistently decent performance on Chrome Beta. Regular Chrome was atrocious. Other than that apps opened quickly and without delay, and in app performance (outside of web browsing) was fantastic. Web browsing was killing me though.

Battery Life:
Battery life as many Moto X owners know is always been a high point. Before ART my battery lasted all day consistently and I had a hard time killing it in one day, honestly. With ART well..... it`s hard to say exactly but, its all day battery life for sure. But, I`m not seeing anything awesome about it. If anything I say its a placebo affect. It may appear to be longer but, I cant tell for sure. I just switched to Dalvik today so if there is any difference I will update later on.

Odds and Ends:
  • I noticed that I get a Google Services has stopped at least twice a day. I`m thinking it has to do with not being compatible with ART. I will keep an eye out for it today.
  • I noticed instantly upon switching to Dalvik, that opening and closing apps are a little slower. Take that how you will.
  • Again with web browsing, upon switching to Dalvik web browsing was so much more smoother on Chrome Beta it was like a breath of fresh air how much smoother it was.

NOTE: Any other findings I have I will post tonight after running Dalvik for the day.

you know it's interesting! Yesterday, my battery lasted only just about 8 and a half hours in training class which I thought was pretty normal with a little use during the day... I mean was upsetting don't get me wrong my Android OS use the 40 percent and my display used up about 45 to 50 percent... Now today on the other hand, now today I use my phone a little less my display usage is down to 30 to 35 percent mi Android OS usage is then so about 20 percent and my phone hasn't wavered off about 75 to 80 percent of battery all day long! I'm trying to figure out the variable a missing but I don't get it! I mean don't get me wrong, I love it but I want to keep on replicating today's experience more so in the future of course any suggestions?? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE 5: I have been running Dalvik with the 4.4.2. update and I have had very good battery life. As in truly all day battery life. Performance has been great and web browsing is super smooth.

via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M

I've stuck on art since the last time I posted here. I think if my phone is in an area that doesn't get good service the android OS usage goes up. It's probably some conspiracy with Verizon. They prolly told moto that this phone better not show "cell standby" as the reason the battery is draining. Lol! When I'm at home on wifi or somewhere with good service... I easily get 20+ hrs out of this phone

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I've stuck on art since the last time I posted here. I think if my phone is in an area that doesn't get good service the android OS usage goes up. It's probably some conspiracy with Verizon. They prolly told moto that this phone better not show "cell standby" as the reason the battery is draining. Lol! When I'm at home on wifi or somewhere with good service... I easily get 20+ hrs out of this phone

Posted via my Moto X DE

Whats interest is that everyone that has 4.4.2. Nexus and Moto X have higher android OS usage in the battery. I think that is very odd.

Posted via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Whats interest is that everyone that has 4.4.2. Nexus and Moto X have higher android OS usage in the battery. I think that is very odd.

Posted via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

I actually haven't checked my Nexus 7 but I know to enable art on the N7 I have to do something weird. It's not as simple as on my Moto x

Posted via my Moto X DE

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Actually, it is nearly an identical process for both devices. I have switched to ART on both devices and in my opinion, my devices are working more smoothly and the touch screens seem more responsive. But I'm not much of a "techie" and an expert in ZERO technology fields.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38