Moto X: ART vs Dalvik

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have now been running ART on my Moto X for the past 2-3 weeks straight. I thought I would post my findings below:

Performance:
I think performance was very good, I could consistently juggle multiple apps all the time. But, there is a caveat; web browsing sucks. I tried multiple web browsers and finally I got consistently decent performance on Chrome Beta. Regular Chrome was atrocious. Other than that apps opened quickly and without delay, and in app performance (outside of web browsing) was fantastic. Web browsing was killing me though.

Battery Life:
Battery life as many Moto X owners know is always been a high point. Before ART my battery lasted all day consistently and I had a hard time killing it in one day, honestly. With ART well..... it`s hard to say exactly but, its all day battery life for sure. But, I`m not seeing anything awesome about it. If anything I say its a placebo affect. It may appear to be longer but, I cant tell for sure. I just switched to Dalvik today so if there is any difference I will update later on.

Odds and Ends:
  • I noticed that I get a Google Services has stopped at least twice a day. I`m thinking it has to do with not being compatible with ART. I will keep an eye out for it today.
  • I noticed instantly upon switching to Dalvik, that opening and closing apps are a little slower. Take that how you will.
  • Again with web browsing, upon switching to Dalvik web browsing was so much more smoother on Chrome Beta it was like a breath of fresh air how much smoother it was.

NOTE: Any other findings I have I will post tonight after running Dalvik for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
So funny that I started a thread on this the other day...

I did see the Google services disconnect as well when I restarted the phone while on art.

I think battery is better on Davlik honestly.

I switched back to Davlik this weekend. I dont really think the apps take that much longer to open and plus I'd rather have better battery life.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X ART vs Dalvik

So funny that I started a thread on this the other day...

I did see the Google services disconnect as well when I restarted the phone while on art.

I think battery is better on Davlik honestly.

I switched back to Davlik this weekend. I dont really think the apps take that much longer to open and plus I'd rather have better battery life.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Its not that much longer but, when you are multitasking a couple of milliseconds of a difference. Any average person wouldn't notice.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

There is nothing on my phone that I can't wait a few milliseconds for. Now if it was a difference of multiple seconds... That would be an issue. Just had to change over my wife's Droid 4 to her new moto x.... That was painful to me... Lol! That Droid 4 was SLLOOOOWW! Compared to the moto x.

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

There is nothing on my phone that I can't wait a few milliseconds for. Now if it was a difference of multiple seconds... That would be an issue. Just had to change over my wife's Droid 4 to her new moto x.... That was painful to me... Lol! That Droid 4 was SLLOOOOWW! Compared to the moto x.

Posted via my Moto X DE

It wasn't the fact that its slow. God no. My Moto X is super fast. Its just the fact there is slight decrease in speed between multitasking on Dalvik compared to ART.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE 1:
Switched back to ART. Dalvik ran fine except for the fact Android OS ate the hell out of my battery today. The moment I switched to ART battery power drain noticeably slowed down.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1392085130199.jpg
    1392085130199.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 106

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I thought the point of ART was that apps were no longer being compiled when launched but were compiled beforehand. Therefore, the idea was that they would launch faster and with lesser CPU processing power. I ran ART for a while and can't say I noticed any difference at all. The only reason I switched back to Dalvik was due to a problem with uploading pics on Facebook. Otherwise, I didn't have any issues with ART.

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I switched art to see what it was all about and I love it so far. All of my apps work and everything is just so much smoother on my unlocked Moto x.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I thought the point of ART was that apps were no longer being compiled when launched but were compiled beforehand. Therefore, the idea was that they would launch faster and with lesser CPU processing power. I ran ART for a while and can't say I noticed any difference at all. The only reason I switched back to Dalvik was due to a problem with uploading pics on Facebook. Otherwise, I didn't have any issues with ART.

The problem uploading pictures to Facebook using ART has been corrected. I switched back to Dalvik for the same reason but just gave ART another try today and was able to upload a picture to Facebook without any problem.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

With ART I definitely noticed apps open quicker and behave a little better.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Switched back to Dalvik for the second time last night. Although it now works for uploading pictures to FB, I found it didn't work for at least 2 other apps I have on my phone, eBay and Photobucket. It did seem to be much quicker on ART than the first time I tried it, but will wait some more until it's optimized and works with all apps that I use.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Android OS is killing my battery on dalvik too... 7 hours on... 60% battery life left... Android OS taken up 60% of usage. Screen on time only been 37 min. Back to Art...

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Android OS is killing my battery on dalvik too... 7 hours on... 60% battery life left... Android OS taken up 60% of usage. Screen on time only been 37 min. Back to Art...

Posted via my Moto X DE

Yeah that's very weird. Android OS has to eat up my battery and data.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I was in building today that has horrible reception too but I noticed it after u posted ur findings yesterday. I was going to give it a few more days but after seeing that I switched back to Art. I think when I lose battery life... It's my own doing with a game or whatever. If I don't play a game this thing lasts and lasts.

Posted via my Moto X DE

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

The performance differences between Dalvik and ART are not humanly detectable. Its nearly impossible to have other computers detect it. The reason ART was even created was because Dalvik is not a Google owned IP and they are very limited in modifying it to suit Android perfectly. So yeah it might not be better than Dalvik yet but it will be. It is usable at this point just for testing/development not to improve performance intentionally.