01-12-2015 12:29 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    First thing you must do with all Androids is to disable location Reporting, Location History and Hot word detection. And recheck to make sure they stay disabled, several Google apps default to them on or ask to turn them on, using different questions. If you are using Google now also disable the card for commute sharing and the card "Continue to get updates about travel time". Doing so will almost double your battery life and vastly improve standby battery usage.
    You will have people say, you might as well have a dumb phone if you disable these (useless to me) functions. But the truth is IF you don't know when to leave for work or how to get home, Your problems are deeper than battery life. As to the rest of them, They are just revenue streams for google. They serve no purpose, 99% of the phone will work as intended with out them on and sucking down your battery. Google needs to get off the Slim Fast phone Building approach, Admit Android is a battery hog and either get rid of their bloat or jam Bigger, Much bigger batteries in their phones
    Will google maps and travel apps like Car2Go, which I use regularly, and other apps that depend on your location, work if Location Reporting is off?

EDIT: tried it and yes they do, so I will keep it off. not sure what the purpose of it is now

But why "must" you turn off hotword detection. A lot of people find the voice commands useful.
    02-18-2014 04:48 PM
    Will google maps and travel apps like Car2Go, which I use regularly, and other apps that depend on your location, work if Location Reporting is off?

EDIT: tried it and yes they do, so I will keep it off. not sure what the purpose of it is now
    Location reporting is essentially the service that allows apps to tailor their experience to your current location, as opposed to requesting that you input a specific location. Examples might be a weather app giving you current local forecasts while you travel, vs only reporting programmed locales or searching for movie showtimes, where it will require your location to provide results closest to you, rather than you typing out, "movie show times in Dallas, TX", etc.
    02-18-2014 04:59 PM
    Download Battery Doctor. I average 23+ hours every charge. This phone is amazing. If I knew how to insert a screenshot I'd post battery stats image.

Posted via Android Central App
    Take the snapshot, and when you post a reply click the three dotted button at the too next to the reply button. Gives you an option to post a picture.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    02-18-2014 07:46 PM
    I get pretty decent battery with my x. Can easily go a day and sometimes more. Here are some screenshots of my battery usage.

I have location turned off for I really don't need it on am everyday basis. I usually only turn "High accuracy" on when using gps.

Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-uploadfromtaptalk1392770943240.jpgMoto X: terrible battery life on standby-uploadfromtaptalk1392770956467.jpgMoto X: terrible battery life on standby-uploadfromtaptalk1392770967271.jpg

02-18-2014 07:50 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I turned off location reporting and my idle time dropped to about 3.3% per hour as opposed to 5.7% (average over the day) now I am sitting at 11 hours used at 45% so I should get 20 hours or so....
    That I can live with....thanks again
    Aquila likes this.
    02-18-2014 08:55 PM
    Since 4.4.2 I get impressive standby drain. 8hrs over night and still on 97%. GPS is the only thing I've turned off.

02-19-2014 01:54 PM
    Since 4.4.2 I get impressive standby drain. 8hrs over night and still on 97%. GPS is the only thing I've turned off.

How was it on 4.4? I'm still getting about 3.3% an hour standby at best. I'm hoping the 4.4.2 update helps a lot.

02-20-2014 12:06 AM
    How was it on 4.4? I'm still getting about 3.3% an hour standby at best. I'm hoping the 4.4.2 update helps a lot.

I lost at least 8% or more over night on 4.4.

I woke up this morning after 8hrs of off charger and was still at 97%.

02-20-2014 12:14 AM
    I lost at least 8% or more over night on 4.4.

I woke up this morning after 8hrs of off charger and was still at 97%.

Exactly the same with me. Around 8% a night. I'm on sprint and I've heard they started the soak test so I'm anxiously waiting for the update.

02-20-2014 12:16 AM

But why "must" you turn off hotword detection. A lot of people find the voice commands useful.
    Because hot word is a battery drain. On every Android Phone it kills the battery. On the Moto X it's not nearly as bad. You just have to decide if you need it. I think it's a gimmick and not very useful. The Mic button is on every screen on Android now. Is it really so hard or cumbersome to press it? What Hot word does is, It leaves the mic hot aka always listening for "Ok Google". Try it with it on and off you will see a Huge drain of the battery on All Androids and a noticeable one on the X . Basically the Phone never fully sleeps with it on.
    02-20-2014 01:38 AM
    Location reporting is essentially the service that allows apps to tailor their experience to your current location, as opposed to requesting that you input a specific location. Examples might be a weather app giving you current local forecasts while you travel, vs only reporting programmed locales or searching for movie showtimes, where it will require your location to provide results closest to you, rather than you typing out, "movie show times in Dallas, TX", etc.
    All the location items you mentioned work perfectly fine with location history and reporting off. Both WiFi and 4G report your location to google. I Have had them both off since the option was available and all the google now stuff works all weather apps work for current location. SEarching movies works etc.
    02-20-2014 01:40 AM
    So you want Google to make all the Android phones just so they can "jam bigger, much bigger batteries" in them? That doesn't make sense.

How is location reporting a direct revenue stream for Google? And who cares if it is anyway? I set reminders based on location, so if I turn that off guess what happens? They won't work anymore.
    No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
    Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery . And the Maxx's screen is actually slightly bigger too. The same could be done with the Moto x and still keep it;s curved back it would just be 1 or 2 mm bigger all the way around.
    Every location based Reminder I have added to Google now worked with out them on, Not sure why yours doesn't

how does Google make it's money? Add revenue - Location based Adds is the Biggest, fastest growing revenue screen for them
    02-20-2014 01:58 AM
    Because hot word is a battery drain. On every Android Phone it kills the battery. On the Moto X it's not nearly as bad. You just have to decide if you need it. I think it's a gimmick and not very useful. The Mic button is on every screen on Android now. Is it really so hard or cumbersome to press it? What Hot word does is, It leaves the mic hot aka always listening for "Ok Google". Try it with it on and off you will see a Huge drain of the battery on All Androids and a noticeable one on the X . Basically the Phone never fully sleeps with it on.
    You realize this is why Motorola developed the co processors right?

The only phone always listening is the Moto X. The Nexus 5 listens when you're on a home screen with the screen turned on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ScottMGS likes this.
    02-20-2014 02:01 AM
    No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
    Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery .
    Every location based Reminder I have added to Google now worked with out them on, Not sure why yours doesn't
    Google did. The fix is called Kit Kat. Less resource intensive and runs better on lower spec'd phones.

02-20-2014 02:02 AM
    You realize this is why Motorola developed the co processors right?

The only phone always listening is the Moto X. The Nexus 5 listens when you're on a home screen with the screen turned on.

You realize that Madision Avenue does a thing called Marketing and in Marketing , you can claim whatever you want. The Moto X was marketed perfectly. You fell for it apparently. The Problem is None of their Marketing claims held water under real world testing

The Hot word detection which is not new and has been around for well over a year now is always on and running in the background. If you don't want to believe facts, thats fine - Go test it yourself.
    Test your battery life on a moto x with Touchless and Hot Word Disabled and force killed and on any other android phone vs having them on. You will see the proof before your eyes.
    02-20-2014 02:10 AM
    Google did. The fix is called Kit Kat. Less resource intensive and runs better on lower spec'd phones.

Again - Marketing!
    No lower spec'd phones besides the Moto G are running 4.4.2 yet and the battery life of that phone is nothing special considering it doesn't even have 4G to suck down it's battery
    If my Moto x Battery improves with 4.4.2 Great! But my 2013 nexus 7 saw exactly zero improvement in battery life over 4.4 or 4.1, so I am not holding my breath
    02-20-2014 02:14 AM
    You realize that Madision Avenue does a thing called Marketing and in Marketing , you can claim whatever you want. The Moto X was marketed perfectly. You fell for it apparently. The Problem is None of their Marketing claims held water under real world testing

The Hot word detection which is not new and has been around for well over a year now is always on and running in the background. If you don't want to believe facts, thats fine - Go test it yourself.
    Test your battery life on a moto x with Touchless and Hot Word Disabled and force killed and on any other android phone vs having them on. You will see the proof before your eyes.
    Marketing is not "claiming whatever you want" and whoever told you that's what it was is stupid. The Moto X was marketed perfectly, yes, because it does EXACTLY what they say it does. Want to know what two phones I carry with me most of the time? Nexus 5 and Moto X. Want to know what phone gets better battery life on a consistent basis? Moto X. And guess what? I don't disable any of the features that I wanted the X for to do it.

You know what else Motorola has besides a Marketing department? An engineering department. Those people are pretty smart and know what they're doing. They did some pretty innovative work on the co-processors in the X. The Marketing department (are you listening, because this is important) then took that great work and turned it in to a consumer facing message. Also, there's a difference between Marketing and PR, which I know you didn't bring up, but I thought I'd blow your mind a bit too while I was at it.

I'm not surprised that leaving a feature on, no matter how power efficient the processor, will drain the battery. I'm kind of surprised that you seem surprised this is the case. "Hey, guess what happens when you leave stuff on? It uses the battery." Well, that's obviously to everyone I think. I bet I know what happens when you turn them off. Oh wait, you already said it because it's apparently not that obvious. The battery drains faster.

You're hanging around the Moto X section an awful lot, and especially this thread, claiming it has terrible battery life. This is clearly not the case judging by the shear number of people that own the device and have used it for an extended period of time saying how awesome the battery life is. If you had a personal experience with the X that was less than exceptional as far as battery life is concerned then I'm sorry. Maybe you had a bad unit (that does happen ya know), or you had a rogue app, or any number of things. But to come in here and say that the X has poor battery life when the evidence is not in your favor is ill advised.

You should not assume that you know more than everyone or that you have any idea what everyone on these boards does for a living.
    02-20-2014 02:20 AM
    Again - Marketing!
    No lower spec'd phones besides the Moto G are running 4.4.2 yet and the battery life of that phone is nothing special considering it doesn't even have 4G to suck down it's battery
    If my Moto x Battery improves with 4.4.2 Great! But my 2013 nexus 7 saw exactly zero improvement in battery life over 4.4 or 4.1, so I am not holding my breath
    Where did anyone ever say that Kit Kat will make your battery life magically better? Is that something you assumed? You know what I've noticed with previous Android releases? Worse battery life (4.0 to 4.1 was noticeable). That it stayed the same (as you admitted, and I've seen it get both better and worse with Kit Kat) is good IMO.

Kit Kat runs exceptionally well on lower spec'd devices.

Also, LTE stopped being a battery hog with the second generation radios. Qualcomm integrated them on die and also shrunk the process node they were being manufactured on.
    02-20-2014 02:24 AM
    Root and use cpu master.
    Underclock while ypur screen is off and your in call to half processors max clock speed.

Root and use greenify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    02-20-2014 02:27 AM
    Marketing is not "claiming whatever you want" and whoever told you that's what it was is stupid. The Moto X was marketed perfectly, yes, because it does EXACTLY what they say it does. Want to know what two phones I carry with me most of the time? Nexus 5 and Moto X. Want to know what phone gets better battery life on a consistent basis? Moto X. And guess what? I don't disable any of the features that I wanted the X for to do it.

You know what else Motorola has besides a Marketing department? An engineering department. Those people are pretty smart and know what they're doing. They did some pretty innovative work on the co-processors in the X. The Marketing department (are you listening, because this is important) then took that great work and turned it in to a consumer facing message. Also, there's a difference between Marketing and PR, which I know you didn't bring up, but I thought I'd blow your mind a bit too while I was at it.

I'm not surprised that leaving a feature on, no matter how power efficient the processor, will drain the battery. I'm kind of surprised that you seem surprised this is the case. "Hey, guess what happens when you leave stuff on? It uses the battery." Well, that's obviously to everyone I think. I bet I know what happens when you turn them off. Oh wait, you already said it because it's apparently not that obvious. The battery drains faster.

You're hanging around the Moto X section an awful lot, and especially this thread, claiming it has terrible battery life. This is clearly not the case judging by the shear number of people that own the device and have used it for an extended period of time saying how awesome the battery life is. If you had a personal experience with the X that was less than exceptional as far as battery life is concerned then I'm sorry. Maybe you had a bad unit (that does happen ya know), or you had a rogue app, or any number of things. But to come in here and say that the X has poor battery life when the evidence is not in your favor is ill advised.

You should not assume that you know more than everyone or that you have any idea what everyone on these boards does for a living.
    LMFAO - Your final sentence says it all
    Go drink some more Kool-aide
    Every Reviewer with any credibilty have all said the same thing the "The Battery life is nowhere near the claims and over all is not so great. Period, end of discussion.
    As to your pathetically stupid claim of the "Sheer Number of People" if by sheer you mean almost nobody, then Yes if by sheer you mean a lot - Dream on. The Moto X has been a total sales flop.
    On to your Brilliant claims about what marketing does and doesn't do, Seriously, go back to school.
    Marketing: Has, Does and Always Will say whatever they want to to get people to buy their product. That is it's sole function. Facts and Truthfulness don't matter and Marketing departments are almost never held to account on false claims.
    A perfect example is Googlerolas Perfectly Legalize worded "24 Hours of Mixed use" Which did exactly what it was intended to - That is, make people think they could get 24 hours of use out of the phone. Of course that figure of 24 hours includes nearly 20 hours of standby when the phone is sitting idle, but hey - That's marketing!
    Now run along text warrior, you bore me
    02-20-2014 02:42 AM
    Where did anyone ever say that Kit Kat will make your battery life magically better? Is that something you assumed? You know what I've noticed with previous Android releases? Worse battery life (4.0 to 4.1 was noticeable). That it stayed the same (as you admitted, and I've seen it get both better and worse with Kit Kat) is good IMO.

Kit Kat runs exceptionally well on lower spec'd devices.

Also, LTE stopped being a battery hog with the second generation radios. Qualcomm integrated them on die and also shrunk the process node they were being manufactured on.
    LMFAO yet again - Are you drunk or something? or just Forumbating!

I said this
    "No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
    Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery "
    Which is speaking specifically about Battery life on android devices
    And them some genius Text warrior, You may know him or one of his personalities said the following in a direct answer to the above quote - "Google did. The fix is called Kit Kat. Less resource intensive and runs better on lower spec'd phones."
    So to answer you question, "Where did anyone ever say that Kit Kat will make your battery life magically better?" Beats the Hell out of me!
    Dude, maybe it's time to cut back on the late night Bong hits !
    02-20-2014 02:57 AM
    As to your pathetically stupid claim of the "Sheer Number of People" if by sheer you mean almost nobody, then Yes if by sheer you mean a lot - Dream on. TheMoto X has been a total sales flop.
    On to your Brilliant claims about what marketing does and doesn't do, Seriously, go back to school.
    Marketing: Has, Does and Always Will say whatever they want to to get people to buy their product. That is it's sole function. Facts and Truthfulness don't matter and Marketing departments are almost never held to account on false claims.
    A perfect example is Googlerolas Perfectly Legalize worded "24 Hours of Mixed use" Which did exactly what it was intended to - That is, make people think they could get 24 hours of use out of the phone. Of course that figure of 24 hours includes nearly 20 hours of standby when the phone is sitting idle, but hey - That's marketing!
    Now run along text warrior, you bore me
    Here, I fixed your quote for you.

Please, enlighten me as to how sales figures (which have not been released) have any correlation with whether or not people are seeing great battery life. I, for example, have seen two days of battery life. Standby time is great on the X. On average it's draining 1.4-1.5% per hour for me (I have GSAM installed, that's where the number comes from). When I'm actively using the phone (for whatever, let's assume the screen is on) it's roughly 5% per hour. Something more intense, like a game, will obviously use more battery. This shouldn't be a surprise.

But since this thread was originally about standby time, I will leave it at that I can easily (very easily) get two days on standby. With normal use (two gmail accounts, ~200 hangout messages a day average, 20-30 minutes of phone calls, some Candy Crush and other casual games) a day (as defined by 24 hours) is attained regularly. On days where my use is abnormally heavy (say, 2-3 hours of streaming Google Music and/or some Netflix) I might not get the full 24 hours (but still around 16-18, and still better than my N5).

I'm also wondering how you would like them to word the 24 hour claim. Of course it's going to be mixed use, right? They didn't say "24 hours of standby battery life" did they?

Let's also look at your "24 hours includes nearly 20 hours of standby" claim that you threw out there. I'm not sure what your expectations are, but 4+ (as evidenced by your "nearly 20 hours of standby time") hours of screen on time within a 24 hour period and the phone not being dead is impressive. As always, though, YMMV, right? Some people are heavier users, some are lighter users. I use both of my phones equally on any given day, and with MY use the X is consistently better when it comes to battery life, especially on standby.

Insults aren't required, either, but they do give me a laugh (text warrior, that's a new one).
    02-20-2014 03:01 AM
    LMFAO yet again - Are you drunk or something? or just Forumbating!

I said this
    "No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
    Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery "
    Which is speaking specifically about Battery life on android devices
    And them some genius Text warrior, You may know him or one of his personalities said the following in a direct answer to the above quote - "Google did. The fix is called Kit Kat. Less resource intensive and runs better on lower spec'd phones."
    So to answer you question, "Where did anyone ever say that Kit Kat will make your battery life magically better?" Beats the Hell out of me!
    Dude, maybe it's time to cut back on the late night Bong hits !
    Having problems following what I said? Let me explain it in a more basic way. By not making battery life worse like previous releases of Android have, they did manage to improve battery performance while also reducing the number of resources required to run on lower spec devices. They made Android more efficient, but also added features (new API's, etc), which results is zero extra battery drain being caused by Android.

So, to recap, less resource intensive, more new things, at least the same battery life (adding things, but not requiring more power, is a gain in efficiency, which is a gain in battery life). Goal achieved.
    02-20-2014 03:05 AM
    Please keep discussion civil and on topic. If you do not care for a post, please ignore it and move on, or if you feel that it violates forum rules, hit the report button and tell us why. Personal attacks, insults and other inappropriate behaviors are not recommended.

If anyone has any questions regarding the rules, please see this link: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums or reach out to any member of the moderator team.

Thanks!
    Kevin OQuinn and scrounger like this.
    02-20-2014 03:13 AM
    Here, I fixed your quote for you.

Please, enlighten me as to how sales figures (which have not been released) have any correlation with whether or not people are seeing great battery life. I, for example, have seen two days of battery life. Standby time is great on the X. On average it's draining 1.4-1.5% per hour for me (I have GSAM installed, that's where the number comes from). When I'm actively using the phone (for whatever, let's assume the screen is on) it's roughly 5% per hour. Something more intense, like a game, will obviously use more battery. This shouldn't be a surprise.

But since this thread was originally about standby time, I will leave it at that I can easily (very easily) get two days on standby. With normal use (two gmail accounts, ~200 hangout messages a day average, 20-30 minutes of phone calls, some Candy Crush and other casual games) a day (as defined by 24 hours) is attained regularly. On days where my use is abnormally heavy (say, 2-3 hours of streaming Google Music and/or some Netflix) I might not get the full 24 hours (but still around 16-18, and still better than my N5).

I'm also wondering how you would like them to word the 24 hour claim. Of course it's going to be mixed use, right? They didn't say "24 hours of standby battery life" did they?

Let's also look at your "24 hours includes nearly 20 hours of standby" claim that you threw out there. I'm not sure what your expectations are, but 4+ (as evidenced by your "nearly 20 hours of standby time") hours of screen on time within a 24 hour period and the phone not being dead is impressive. As always, though, YMMV, right? Some people are heavier users, some are lighter users. I use both of my phones equally on any given day, and with MY use the X is consistently better when it comes to battery life, especially on standby.

Insults aren't required, either, but they do give me a laugh (text warrior, that's a new one).

This is almost comical, You say something then act like you never said it.

This is my final post to you, I can't laugh anymore tonight.
    Google Claimed "24 hours of Mixed use" The key word being USE. Use means the screen on being used or streaming music or GPS etc but Use means Use not standby
    All they had to say was 24 hours off charger / between charges etc With average use or anything similar. By using the Marketing gem of "24 hours of Mixed use" Yes, that is Marketing at it's best - that is their job, they specifically and 100% intentionally mislead people.
    Did I expect to get 24 hours of screen on time from an Android phone? Hardly, It would be great but unlike you, I don't drink the Google Kool-aide.
    What I was expecting by that intentionally, snake oil salesman worded "24 hours of Mixed use" was screen on time substantially better than my Galaxy nexus.
    What I got was a phone that although better than the Gnex was nothing to write home about my Gnex avg, 3 hours of Screen on time on 4G that can be 3 hours straight from taking it off the charger or three hours over a typical work day. The Moto x is averaging 4 on 4G and a little more on WiFi.
    Not so great
    End of Chat
    Good Luck
    02-20-2014 03:23 AM
145 1234 ...