01-12-2015 12:29 PM
145 12345 ...
tools
    This is almost comical, You say something then act like you never said it.

This is my final post to you, I can't laugh anymore tonight.
    Google Claimed "24 hours of Mixed use" The key word being USE. Use means the screen on being used or streaming music or GPS etc but Use means Use not standby
    All they had to say was 24 hours off charger / between charges etc With average use or anything similar. By using the Marketing gem of "24 hours of Mixed use" Yes, that is Marketing at it's best - that is their job, they specifically and 100% intentionally mislead people.
    Did I expect to get 24 hours of screen on time from an Android phone? Hardly, It would be great but unlike you, I don't drink the Google Kool-aide.
    What I was expecting by that intentionally, snake oil salesman worded "24 hours of Mixed use" was screen on time substantially better than my Galaxy nexus.
    What I got was a phone that although better than the Gnex was nothing to write home about my Gnex avg, 3 hours of Screen on time on 4G that can be 3 hours straight from taking it off the charger or three hours over a typical work day. The Moto x is averaging 4 on 4G and a little more on WiFi.
    Not so great
    End of Chat
    Good Luck
    We'll have to agree to disagree about what marketing was and wasn't accurate (you're really arguing semantics). If a device is powered on and in service it's being used (all those things going on in the background, receiving phone calls, etc), but any way, "mixed use" does cover everything you could "use" the phone for while off the charger. "Use" is not defined as "the phone is in your hand and you're actively doing stuff with it".

Now, on to your specific battery life numbers. GNex is a dual-core A9 SoC with a separate LTE radio (first gen, highly inefficient, as you already know). The TI OMAP in that phone was good for its time, but is obviously sorely outdated now. You said 3 hours of screen on time was what you get on average (with no claim of total time off charger, which is what this discussion is about). The Moto X, with it's current-gen LTE solution, and much MUCH faster SoC would give you 4 hours of screen on time (with no claim of total time off charger, which again is what this discussion is about). Even just considering the screen-on time, though, how is a entire hour MORE not a substantial improvement? You have a modern device with a much faster SoC that is efficient enough to get an extra hour of screen on time, but that's "not so great"? Tell me, honestly, what were your expectations for screen on time with the X?

On a side note, the X isn't designed to maximize screen on time, either. It's designed specifically to maximize standby time, so that when you pick your phone up to use it you actually have enough battery left to do what you wanted to do. There's nothing worse than leaving your phone alone for a few hours, only to pick it up and find out half your battery is gone, and you've done nothing with your phone. I feel like this point is missed by quite a few people. There's an obsession with screen on time even though the majority of the time the phone is in standby. If you can have your screen on continuously for that long then more power to you, but you should also be able to charge it in some way too. There are always going to be specific use cases, but in general if you can have the screen on for hours at a time you can also probably have your phone plugged in.
    02-20-2014 03:37 AM
    You realize that Madision Avenue does a thing called Marketing and in Marketing , you can claim whatever you want. The Moto X was marketed perfectly. You fell for it apparently. The Problem is None of their Marketing claims held water under real world testing

The Hot word detection which is not new and has been around for well over a year now is always on and running in the background. If you don't want to believe facts, thats fine - Go test it yourself.
    Test your battery life on a moto x with Touchless and Hot Word Disabled and force killed and on any other android phone vs having them on. You will see the proof before your eyes.
    How do I turn off hot word detection, and what will stop working if I do that?
    02-20-2014 12:25 PM
    How do I turn off hot word detection, and what will stop working if I do that?
    Go to the seach app, choose settings, then choose voice, uncheck hot word detection. If you are on a Moto x also disable and force kill touchless controls which is under settings > Apps > All
    The only thing that Wont work is the parlor trick, Touchless controls. This is the part of Voice search Where you say OK Google Now then ask it something or give it a command with out touching the Mic button located on Every screen. As if doing so is difficult.
    If you have used Touchless Controls you already know that it is slow and often doesn't even work. Disabling it Does NOT effect Voice search in any other way. Press the mic button on any screen and issue the same commands or questions and they work flawlessly, No middle man app on hot mic slowly draining the battery.
    When and if Motorola re-enables the real Hot word detection that is built into android, which although still a gimmick, (works 100% faster and better then the childish Touchless controls), just re-check hot word .
    02-20-2014 07:38 PM
    Here are my battery stats from today.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-1392963117556.jpg   Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-1392963134171.jpg  
    Kevin OQuinn and Ry like this.
    02-21-2014 01:13 AM
    The only thing that Wont work is the parlor trick, Touchless controls. This is the part of Voice search Where you say OK Google Now then ask it something or give it a command with out touching the Mic button located on Every screen. As if doing so is difficult.
    Thanks. I do use touchless control sometimes when I am driving, and it seems to work moderately well.

I must use different apps than you. I rarely see a microphone on the screen. There's not one now, for instance. And of course, there isn't one when I am driving and the phone is "resting". So I don't think I will do this as my default, but i probably will turn it off when I am camping and need to optimize battery life.
    02-21-2014 11:55 AM
    I get a full day with my Moto X with Bluetooth on (Pebble) and Touchless Controls on.
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    02-21-2014 01:52 PM
    I get a full day with my Moto X with Bluetooth on (Pebble) and Touchless Controls on.
    Same, as long as I'm not doing anything else with it. I'm in an area where I don't get great reception (10 story office), so doing anything on it like Youtube watching will wreck the battery while its pulling data over 4G. Still haven't gotten a good feel of the battery life due to that.
    02-21-2014 02:39 PM

Go to the seach app, choose settings, then choose voice, uncheck hot word detection. If you are on a Moto x also disable and force kill touchless controls which is under settings > Apps > All
    If you have used Touchless Controls you already know that it is slow and often doesn't even work. Disabling it Does NOT effect Voice search in any other way. Press the mic button on any screen and issue the same commands or questions and they work flawlessly, No middle man app on hot mic slowly draining the battery.
    When and if Motorola re-enables the real Hot word detection that is built into android, which although still a gimmick, (works 100% faster and better then the childish Touchless controls), just re-check hot word .
    So I did some testing today with regards to what affects what with different settings.

With Touchless controls AND hotword detection turned off you MUST click on the microphone to do a voice search, even within the search app.

With Touchless controls turned on and hotword detection turned off you can do a voice search anytime you want.

With Touchless controls turned off and hotword detection turned on you MUST be in the search app to do a voice search. Voice search will not function while sitting on a home screen.

Basically Touchless controls would be what you would want to turn off to disable the always listening feature, while Hotword detection seems far less important in this regard. Hotword detection is only relevant while in the actual search app.

I don't have the ability to measure the effect on battery life right now, though, because I have too many other things going on. But, as I stated before, obviously turning features off will give you better battery life. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at all.
    02-21-2014 03:49 PM
    Thanks. I do use touchless control sometimes when I am driving, and it seems to work moderately well.

I must use different apps than you. I rarely see a microphone on the screen. There's not one now, for instance. And of course, there isn't one when I am driving and the phone is "resting". So I don't think I will do this as my default, but i probably will turn it off when I am camping and need to optimize battery life.

Every screen on Every Android Running JB or above has the google search bar on it. On the Right hand side of each search bar is the Microphone Icon. You can also get to the Mic button on the keyboard anytime you are typing on virtually, every app. Or if Google now is enabled by swiping up from the bottom and clicking the mic.
    The Only reason you wouldnt see a Mic is if you are on some custom rom, at which point I doubt the Moto x touchless controls would function anyway, As they are a custom app native to the moto x. There was a Hack replacement available a few months ago , but I tried it and it was worse then the slow and buggy touchless controls.
    02-21-2014 04:20 PM
    A third party launcher can get rid of the search bar as well.

02-21-2014 05:10 PM
    Every screen on Every Android Running JB or above has the google search bar on it. On the Right hand side of each search bar is the Microphone Icon. You can also get to the Mic button on the keyboard anytime you are typing on virtually, every app. Or if Google now is enabled by swiping up from the bottom and clicking the mic.
    The Only reason you wouldnt see a Mic is if you are on some custom rom, at which point I doubt the Moto x touchless controls would function anyway, As they are a custom app native to the moto x. There was a Hack replacement available a few months ago , but I tried it and it was worse then the slow and buggy touchless controls.
    Right now I am using tapatalk, and there is no mike button. Most of my games cover the search bar, too. No search bar/mike in k9 mail, nor in dolphin browser. I use Swype, and by default it doesn't show the mike. Or maybe I turned that off? When I used the stock keyboard i set it to show a comma, rather than the mike, because I use commas all the time.

I could get to a mike by pressing a couple of virtual buttons, of course, but that's not very convenient when I am driving, which is the only time I talk to my phone.
    02-21-2014 08:59 PM
    OK, i'll play along in this game.
    You seem to be the person Touchless was designed for. Those texts while driving cant wait huh?
    Oh that's right, they are super urgent work related, I forgot, Silly me
    And you also need to be able to ask Google Search or tell it to do something while playing a game? You you Need Touchless Controls

By the way, Skype Keyboard has the Mic.
    I Have no idea what Tapatalk , But if you type in it, The Keyboard you are using has the mic
    Anyway, rather than trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do. It is easier to just say good luck
    Don't crash your car while texting!
    So, just so everyone understands. You are championing the case for turning off touchless controls and hot word detection to save on battery life. That's fine. It will save battery life, even though more than enough of us have no issues with battery life to begin with.

Someone comes in and says "well I use it sometimes" which you obviously aren't ok with. Instead of saying "cool, then just leave it on and have fun" you go on and ridicule them for actually using a feature they might have purchased the phone for. Do you see how that doesn't make sense and is rude?

@Puzzlegal - Sounds like a perfect use case for Touchless controls to me. Moto definitely had in car use in mind when designing them.
    UJ95x, Golfdriver97, Ry and 1 others like this.
    02-22-2014 07:59 PM
    I use touch less controls. Probably about once a day.

02-22-2014 08:08 PM
    I use touch less controls. Probably about once a day.

I use it all the time, my X is easily in my top 10 friends list.
    Golfdriver97 and jephanie like this.
    02-22-2014 08:11 PM
    I wrote in another thread that I will probably use this device till the battery dies, then bury it with full Android honors.

Ry, UJ95x, sharkita and 1 others like this.
    02-22-2014 08:15 PM
    You're still friends with your ex?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Aquila and jephanie like this.
    02-22-2014 08:24 PM
    You're still friends with your ex?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I am, but we are digressing. Back to the topic.

UJ95x likes this.
    02-22-2014 08:25 PM
    Personally I would very much be interested in solutions to battery life that are developed systematically, rather than the broken work-around of turning off the things that are the reason that I bought the device. The Moto X has vastly superior battery life to my Galaxy Nexus. We just got 4.4.2 on Verizon so giving it a few days to see how things line up there, but I've been very impressed with this device as it's battery life is superior to some devices that have larger batteries. Another option to get all of the features in a different shell with more life is to go with the Droid Maxx.
    02-22-2014 08:30 PM
    Lol, I have never texted while driving. I barely text at all. I do, on occasion, say, "okay, Google now, navigate to xyz". And I might have last used the phone to play a game or something, so that is still the active screen.

And given a choice between a dedicated comma and a dedicated "talk to the phone" button, the comma is the easy winner.
    02-22-2014 11:54 PM
    It has been 3 weeks since I got my Moto X. During my first two weeks of use (where I updated from 4.2 to 4.4 and later to 4.4.2), I found the battery life to be average and was never confident on reaching 24 hours. That was mainly because the idle time was around 1.7% per hour. Even after disabling all unused apps like Live Wall Paper, Moto Assist, Moto Connect, Spotlight, Privacy, Location Services etc, I found no difference in idle time drain.

After that, What I did was : before I go to sleep, I turn off Wifi and 3G data. With that my idle time improved to 1% per hour.
    02-24-2014 02:15 PM
    Running 4.4.2 for 2 days now. After 50 min of idling was 1% and after an hour (was searching for email for a min or 2) was down by 2%. I'm signed in into my Google (sync on) account and also Hangouts. Wi-Fi is on and I'm connected to my Pebble watch (as trusted device too). So, I would say 1.7 / h with services above activated. My wife's Note 3 (turned it on at the same time) ended up at 98% without touching it (wi-fi too), even though she was not connected to any BT device.
    So I can't say that I'm disappointed w my stand by efficiency, especially considering the fact that my battery is smaller by almost 40% in capacity.

Posted via Android Central App
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    03-01-2014 10:51 AM
    Thanks for this thread. I just installed battery doctor. Although nothing beats my iPhone when it comes to standby time, Moto X is still my daily driver. I can live with this.
    03-02-2014 12:14 PM
    Thanks everyone for posting your experience as it's helped me get a decent baseline on what may or may not be a consistent issue

I'm going to add my experience with battery on the Moto X. I have an unlocked on ATT, with 4.4.2 kitkat. I leave everything on because like another poster mentioned above, I bought this phone for these unique features(touchless, active screen, moto connect...etc) and I don't want to compromise if I don't have to for battery sake. My phone is unplugged roughly from 7:30am - 11:45-midnight during the week and I don't charge during work. So the phone has to make it a minimum of 16hrs a day with about 2 hours of screen time and 1 hour of talk time. More on both if I'm traveling for work.

It took me the first week of ownership to understand what was going on with my phone. I used a few apps to help me understand how my battery burned and also manage my wifi/bluetooth wake.

-Battery Widget Reborn: data/indicator(awesome, awesome, awesome battery app if for nothing else, since google doesn't provide a battery % meter)
    -Llama Location Profiles: auto task/app management based on your cell location. I use it to turn off/on bluetooth/wifi daily based on work/home

What I found was the biggest issue eating my battery on standby: Moto Connect. I have the chrome plugin installed on my home and office laptops. The latter is docked in my office and always on and chrome is my default browser, which means it's probably always open. I noticed that having the app running on my work laptop seemed to keep moto connect on my phone syncing with it. Once I signed off, my moto x battery got waaaaaay better.

Before figuring this out, I was still making it through the day but I was ending it around 15%-25% battery at midnight. Once I got in the habit of signing off of Moto connect on my laptop when I wasn't using it and setup Llama for my work and home profiles, my battery life drastically improved. I get to midnight every day now with about 40%-50% battery left for non-travel days, which is excellent for me.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with my battery. I love this phone and unique features that no other phone has with Touchless, active notification...etc. Best phone I ever owned and I've had all the iphones up to 5 and GS4.
    03-02-2014 03:30 PM
    Thanks for this thread. I just installed battery doctor. Although nothing beats my iPhone when it comes to standby time, Moto X is still my daily driver. I can live with this.
    +1 for the Doctor

Posted via Android Central App
    03-02-2014 03:54 PM
    My Android OS is at 50%. Is anyone else's that high? After the 4.2.2 update is when my batter life started to really suffer.
    03-02-2014 07:44 PM
145 12345 ...