01-12-2015 11:29 AM
145 ... 3456
tools
    The battery should be better than many others. When there are problems, it is generally due to a misbehaving app or a poor network causing the radios to continually lose signal and rescan.

For standby battery, users can try switching to ART. And if you have a major battery problem, try to investigate which apps are using the battery the most. Usually it's something like Facebook.
    This. Also, any "bugs" can be blamed on Google.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    07-05-2014 09:43 AM
    i earlier had xperia sp and it easily gave me 2 days on moderate usage.. and one day with heavy browsing for an hr or 2.. i used wifi for like 3-4 hrs a day and 3g only when i require urgent access on mails or gps basically around 400-500 mb of 3g in a month and the phone had a battery of 2375 mah.. so does moto x has that a good life with minor games candy crush or subway surfer played rarely and a good amount of browsing and also my phone being offline almost 12-18 hrs a day
    07-05-2014 11:28 AM
    Mobile Data and sync always chews up battery. My mother uses my old original Samsung Galaxy S with no data/WiFi, just talk/text. It lasts 6+ days on a charge depending on her total talk time. You just don't know until you try. "Light" "Moderate" "Heavy" use are arbitrary terms that are in the eyes of a particular user. The screen shots I posted earlier, I know people that would say 2 hours on a phone in a 24 hour period constitutes heavy use. Others would say that's super uber light use.

What I can tell you is that for my normal use mostly on WiFi, my Moto X easily lasts 24 hours. My Galaxy Nexus would last 10. I call that vast improvement.

Posted via Android Central App
    ScottMGS likes this.
    07-05-2014 04:12 PM
    so with the usage i mentioned above i can easily get a little more than a day with moto x u say..
    07-06-2014 02:14 AM
    I mean, yeah, but again it depends on settings. I see people complain about battery life and it turns out they are running 10 widgets all running hog wild and their phone isn't even sleeping. I charged mine last night fooled around for about half an hour, played a little bit of a game then went to bed, and it sleeps fine.

I guess at the end if the day everyone's mileage varies. I make real efforts to keep my apps and widgets in check because I'm a prostitute for battery life. Most people don't. I've stretched my Moto X out to 40 or 42 hours over a weekend where I stayed home and on WiFi barely touching the thing. I also have a thread here called, "How to kill your battery" where I think I sapped it all in about 5 hours.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-screenshot_2014-07-06-06-30-51.jpg   Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-13742.jpg   Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-13743.jpg  
    07-06-2014 06:40 AM
    My bad, I killed it in basically 4 hours.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=399182

07-06-2014 06:49 AM
    hey isnt there something on moto x like sony's stamina mode... like only the apps u select run in the background when your phone is on sleep... u dont get the notifications form the unselected apps coz the are launched only when u unlock the phone
    07-06-2014 03:18 PM
    hey isnt there something on moto x like sony's stamina mode... like only the apps u select run in the background when your phone is on sleep... u dont get the notifications form the unselected apps coz the are launched only when u unlock the phone
    Android itself gives you the ability to shut off notifications from Apps. This won't prevent something like a weather widget updating every 30 minutes from waking your device up.

07-06-2014 04:04 PM
    Please no, not the Galaxy Nexus, you don't compare battery life to the worst...

The screenshot you have, 2 hours screen time, 24 hours of total use, with battery at 1%, that is not satisfactory to me, my friend. Coming from the Galaxy Nexus, I can imagine why you're completely satisfied, again, you're comparing with the worst.

My Nexus 4 can easily go with 2 hours + screen time, and 2-3 days total usage time at ease, and that's done with a smaller battery, and less efficient screen than MotoX. But then the N4 is running Android 4.4.3. The Android OS on that never gone pass 10%. Another example I really hate to bring it up, my retired iPhone 4 can sit idle for days(with sim, wifi, chat, facebook installed/enabled), and still have 95% battery left.
    07-08-2014 01:52 PM
    I call bs on iPhone idling for 2 days and only loosing 5% battery.
    07-09-2014 01:05 PM
    Hey can anybody explain me this?

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-4692.jpg  
    07-10-2014 07:40 AM
    M not a mobile gamer I've just been networking via WiFi and my phone is off touch less control

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-4693.jpg  
    07-10-2014 07:42 AM
    Would ART give me a better battery life compared to DELVIK

07-11-2014 04:35 PM
    Would ART give me a better battery life compared to DELVIK

It didn't make any difference for me. I have read that you have to try it to see. I've heard of people getting much better battery life and I've also heard the opposite. It's pretty much the same battery for me, but things seem to move a little smoother. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

07-11-2014 05:35 PM
    Please no, not the Galaxy Nexus, you don't compare battery life to the worst...

The screenshot you have, 2 hours screen time, 24 hours of total use, with battery at 1%, that is not satisfactory to me, my friend. Coming from the Galaxy Nexus, I can imagine why you're completely satisfied, again, you're comparing with the worst.

My Nexus 4 can easily go with 2 hours + screen time, and 2-3 days total usage time at ease, and that's done with a smaller battery, and less efficient screen than MotoX. But then the N4 is running Android 4.4.3. The Android OS on that never gone pass 10%. Another example I really hate to bring it up, my retired iPhone 4 can sit idle for days(with sim, wifi, chat, facebook installed/enabled), and still have 95% battery left.
    Why does battery life from a device you don't use matter? My wife's iPhone 4s (in use) is screaming to be plugged in before work ends for her as nurse, sitting in a hospital on WiFi for 8-12 hours per shift.

"Screen on time" is an an irrelevant stat. I can turn brightness down, pull up the Android Central app with the black skin and walk away and my phone will last insurmountably longer than if I'm actively reading and flipping pages or touching the screen playing a game.

On the flight to St Lucia for our honeymoon I read on the Nook App in airplane mode for 3 hours checking our location with Gmaps regularly and stepped off the plane with a little over 50% left.

It's a phone, if 24 hours of battery is "unacceptable" then I suggest not being such a charger-afobe.

Any device can last and no two people use devices the same. You wanna talk about standby on a GNex with no cellular network, check this out. Big whoop.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-img_20140712_171602658_hdr.jpg  
    07-12-2014 05:16 PM
    Hey can anybody explain me this?

That doesn't really tell us a whole lot but it looks like you have a lot of screen on time and the phone isn't sleeping.

07-12-2014 05:18 PM
    Another notable mention on all of the incessant complaints about the moto x and Android OS reporting high percentages. You have a device that is always listening, has touchless controls, driving mode, etc. Those things all plug into Android OS. If you guys think that's not going to affect "Android OS" statistics, then you're delusional.

Stop looking for problems that don't exist. Something is going to take up the space for "phone idle". Whether it's "phone idle" or "Android os" or a process called "I like ice cream" it doesn't matter if your device is sleeping and your battery is lasting. "High Android OS" does not mean, "crazy partial wakelocks" or "My battery life sucks".

Turn all that stuff off, us your device the same way and watch your battery life stay basically the same with a lower reported Android OS percentage (provided your device is sleeping appropriately in the first place).

Motorola and Android aren't the problem. Some of it's users and app developers are the problem.

07-12-2014 05:27 PM
    But the "Android OS" statistic here is a real problem, in many different devices that are running Android 4.4.2, not just from Moto X's active notification & listening. Google it and you will be delighted how many devices are affected.

I am not making up stories, from Android 4.4.2 to Android 4.4.3, my Nexus 7 made a night and day difference in terms of battery life (especially the Android OS drainage). The always-high Android OS is no longer present after 4.4.3. The Moto X was praised for its excellent battery life from the start, even with the hit of 4.4.2, its battery life suffered from excellent to merely good. It can be better, with the 4.4.3 update, as it did for my N7. That's what I am hoping for.

Another notable mention on all of the incessant complaints about the moto x and Android OS reporting high percentages. You have a device that is always listening, has touchless controls, driving mode, etc. Those things all plug into Android OS. If you guys think that's not going to affect "Android OS" statistics, then you're delusional.

Stop looking for problems that don't exist. Something is going to take up the space for "phone idle". Whether it's "phone idle" or "Android os" or a process called "I like ice cream" it doesn't matter if your device is sleeping and your battery is lasting. "High Android OS" does not mean, "crazy partial wakelocks" or "My battery life sucks".

Turn all that stuff off, us your device the same way and watch your battery life stay basically the same with a lower reported Android OS percentage (provided your device is sleeping appropriately in the first place).

Motorola and Android aren't the problem. Some of it's users and app developers are the problem.

John Doe40 likes this.
    07-14-2014 04:23 PM
    It's merely a change in how Android reports battery stats. I remember the hysteria when it first hit. "Android OS" covers a plethora of processes and activities. If you like your Nexus 4, then fine. Go for it. Personally, I find 24 hours of battery more than adequate, especially considering the number of [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I know plugging up their devices by lunch.

My point is that it isn't something Motorola did wrong.

07-14-2014 08:00 PM
    I didn't say there is anything Motorola did wrong. Your points well taken.

And no, I don't like to use my Nexus 4 over Moto X, despite it has a better battery life at this moment. Battery life is not the only determination point of using a phone, else I'll still be using my flip phones which last for a week between charges.

It's merely a change in how Android reports battery stats. I remember the hysteria when it first hit. "Android OS" covers a plethora of processes and activities. If you like your Nexus 4, then fine. Go for it. Personally, I find 24 hours of battery more than adequate, especially considering the number of [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I know plugging up their devices by lunch.

My point is that it isn't something Motorola did wrong.

07-15-2014 01:39 PM
    Bear in mind too that the N4 is a 3G only device. It should have awesome battery. Personally, I'm surprised that there is a 4G device on Verizon that will run for 24+ hours without a huge battery. I'm half tempted to shut 4G off and see what happens.

This works perfect: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...I46eyASN6IKICw

07-16-2014 08:38 AM
    3G looks like a winner to me on the Moto X. And yes, that's with only an hour screen on time.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: terrible battery life on standby-screenshot_2014-07-17-09-46-26.jpg  
    07-17-2014 09:47 AM
    Wow, that's nice, now that's the kind of battery life I am calling satisfactory

Btw, what option you selected to make it to 3G in that LTE on/off app?

3G looks like a winner to me on the Moto X. And yes, that's with only an hour screen on time.

07-17-2014 04:48 PM
    Never mind, I got it, it shows as a dialog when first opening the app
    07-17-2014 04:53 PM
    Never mind, I got it, it shows as a dialog when first opening the app
    Just remember to do it after every reboot.

07-17-2014 05:58 PM
145 ... 3456