Moto X: terrible battery life on standby

austin58m

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X terrible battery life on standby

Last night before i went to bed I disabled always listening, Google now, and turned sync and location off. I work up and it was at 90%. Only 1.2% an hour. So one of those things was taking battery, because I left them off all day and made it 17 hours with 10% left and about 3.5 hours screen on time. I'm guessing it was location but I'm pretty sure I've tried it off before. Tomorrow I'm going to turn always listening back on because the other things I can either live without or toggle on when needed. I'll let you know what I get tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto x terrible battery life on standby

Are you using the Google launcher? I've just switched to a different launcher and getting some better stand by time. But I'm not certain that was the cause.

sent via tapatalk

austin58m

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Are you using the Google launcher? I've just switched to a different launcher and getting some better stand by time. But I'm not certain that was the cause.

sent via tapatalk

I'm using the stock one. Not the Google experience one. I also turned off hotword detection. I'll see how my battery ends up today. I meant to unplug it last night after it was done charging but forgot so I'm just starting right now.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

First thing you must do with all Androids is to disable location Reporting, Location History and Hot word detection. And recheck to make sure they stay disabled, several Google apps default to them on or ask to turn them on, using different questions. If you are using Google now also disable the card for commute sharing and the card "Continue to get updates about travel time". Doing so will almost double your battery life and vastly improve standby battery usage.
You will have people say, you might as well have a dumb phone if you disable these (useless to me) functions. But the truth is IF you don't know when to leave for work or how to get home, Your problems are deeper than battery life. As to the rest of them, They are just revenue streams for google. They serve no purpose, 99% of the phone will work as intended with out them on and sucking down your battery. Google needs to get off the Slim Fast phone Building approach, Admit Android is a battery hog and either get rid of their bloat or jam Bigger, Much bigger batteries in their phones

Last night before i went to bed I disabled always listening, Google now, and turned sync and location off. I work up and it was at 90%. Only 1.2% an hour. So one of those things was taking battery, because I left them off all day and made it 17 hours with 10% left and about 3.5 hours screen on time. I'm guessing it was location but I'm pretty sure I've tried it off before. Tomorrow I'm going to turn always listening back on because the other things I can either live without or toggle on when needed. I'll let you know what I get tomorrow.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

First thing you must do with all Androids is to disable location Reporting, Location History and Hot word detection. And recheck to make sure they stay disabled, several Google apps default to them on or ask to turn them on, using different questions. If you are using Google now also disable the card for commute sharing and the card "Continue to get updates about travel time". Doing so will almost double your battery life and vastly improve standby battery usage.
You will have people say, you might as well have a dumb phone if you disable these (useless to me) functions. But the truth is IF you don't know when to leave for work or how to get home, Your problems are deeper than battery life. As to the rest of them, They are just revenue streams for google. They serve no purpose, 99% of the phone will work as intended with out them on and sucking down your battery. Google needs to get off the Slim Fast phone Building approach, Admit Android is a battery hog and either get rid of their bloat or jam Bigger, Much bigger batteries in their phones

So you want Google to make all the Android phones just so they can "jam bigger, much bigger batteries" in them? That doesn't make sense.

How is location reporting a direct revenue stream for Google? And who cares if it is anyway? I set reminders based on location, so if I turn that off guess what happens? They won't work anymore.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Will google maps and travel apps like Car2Go, which I use regularly, and other apps that depend on your location, work if Location Reporting is off?

EDIT: tried it and yes they do, so I will keep it off. not sure what the purpose of it is now

But why "must" you turn off hotword detection. A lot of people find the voice commands useful.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Will google maps and travel apps like Car2Go, which I use regularly, and other apps that depend on your location, work if Location Reporting is off?

EDIT: tried it and yes they do, so I will keep it off. not sure what the purpose of it is now

Location reporting is essentially the service that allows apps to tailor their experience to your current location, as opposed to requesting that you input a specific location. Examples might be a weather app giving you current local forecasts while you travel, vs only reporting programmed locales or searching for movie showtimes, where it will require your location to provide results closest to you, rather than you typing out, "movie show times in Dallas, TX", etc.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Download Battery Doctor. I average 23+ hours every charge. This phone is amazing. If I knew how to insert a screenshot I'd post battery stats image.

Posted via Android Central App

Take the snapshot, and when you post a reply click the three dotted button at the too next to the reply button. Gives you an option to post a picture.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

I get pretty decent battery with my x. Can easily go a day and sometimes more. Here are some screenshots of my battery usage.

I have location turned off for I really don't need it on am everyday basis. I usually only turn "High accuracy" on when using gps.

uploadfromtaptalk1392770943240.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392770956467.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392770967271.jpg

LinusMcl

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion. I turned off location reporting and my idle time dropped to about 3.3% per hour as opposed to 5.7% (average over the day) now I am sitting at 11 hours used at 45% so I should get 20 hours or so....
That I can live with....thanks again

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Since 4.4.2 I get impressive standby drain. 8hrs over night and still on 97%. GPS is the only thing I've turned off.

austin58m

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Since 4.4.2 I get impressive standby drain. 8hrs over night and still on 97%. GPS is the only thing I've turned off.

How was it on 4.4? I'm still getting about 3.3% an hour standby at best. I'm hoping the 4.4.2 update helps a lot.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

How was it on 4.4? I'm still getting about 3.3% an hour standby at best. I'm hoping the 4.4.2 update helps a lot.

I lost at least 8% or more over night on 4.4.

I woke up this morning after 8hrs of off charger and was still at 97%.

austin58m

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I lost at least 8% or more over night on 4.4.

I woke up this morning after 8hrs of off charger and was still at 97%.

Exactly the same with me. Around 8% a night. I'm on sprint and I've heard they started the soak test so I'm anxiously waiting for the update.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

But why "must" you turn off hotword detection. A lot of people find the voice commands useful.

Because hot word is a battery drain. On every Android Phone it kills the battery. On the Moto X it's not nearly as bad. You just have to decide if you need it. I think it's a gimmick and not very useful. The Mic button is on every screen on Android now. Is it really so hard or cumbersome to press it? What Hot word does is, It leaves the mic hot aka always listening for "Ok Google". Try it with it on and off you will see a Huge drain of the battery on All Androids and a noticeable one on the X . Basically the Phone never fully sleeps with it on.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Location reporting is essentially the service that allows apps to tailor their experience to your current location, as opposed to requesting that you input a specific location. Examples might be a weather app giving you current local forecasts while you travel, vs only reporting programmed locales or searching for movie showtimes, where it will require your location to provide results closest to you, rather than you typing out, "movie show times in Dallas, TX", etc.

All the location items you mentioned work perfectly fine with location history and reporting off. Both WiFi and 4G report your location to google. I Have had them both off since the option was available and all the google now stuff works all weather apps work for current location. SEarching movies works etc.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

So you want Google to make all the Android phones just so they can "jam bigger, much bigger batteries" in them? That doesn't make sense.

How is location reporting a direct revenue stream for Google? And who cares if it is anyway? I set reminders based on location, so if I turn that off guess what happens? They won't work anymore.

No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery . And the Maxx's screen is actually slightly bigger too. The same could be done with the Moto x and still keep it;s curved back it would just be 1 or 2 mm bigger all the way around.
Every location based Reminder I have added to Google now worked with out them on, Not sure why yours doesn't

how does Google make it's money? Add revenue - Location based Adds is the Biggest, fastest growing revenue screen for them

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Because hot word is a battery drain. On every Android Phone it kills the battery. On the Moto X it's not nearly as bad. You just have to decide if you need it. I think it's a gimmick and not very useful. The Mic button is on every screen on Android now. Is it really so hard or cumbersome to press it? What Hot word does is, It leaves the mic hot aka always listening for "Ok Google". Try it with it on and off you will see a Huge drain of the battery on All Androids and a noticeable one on the X . Basically the Phone never fully sleeps with it on.

You realize this is why Motorola developed the co processors right?

The only phone always listening is the Moto X. The Nexus 5 listens when you're on a home screen with the screen turned on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

No, I want Google to recognize that Android is a Huge Memory, Resource and battery hungry OS that needs a serious rework and shift in it's Direction Since Current Batteries Can't keep up with it's needs!
Or Like Moto did with the Droid Maxx, Just jam a Huge Battery in the phone and call it a day. The overall size increase is so minimal it isn't even noticeable we are talking a few 100ths of an inch = Nexus 5 2300 m Battery = 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 vs the Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 3500 m Battery .
Every location based Reminder I have added to Google now worked with out them on, Not sure why yours doesn't

Google did. The fix is called Kit Kat. Less resource intensive and runs better on lower spec'd phones.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

You realize this is why Motorola developed the co processors right?

The only phone always listening is the Moto X. The Nexus 5 listens when you're on a home screen with the screen turned on.

You realize that Madision Avenue does a thing called Marketing and in Marketing , you can claim whatever you want. The Moto X was marketed perfectly. You fell for it apparently. The Problem is None of their Marketing claims held water under real world testing

The Hot word detection which is not new and has been around for well over a year now is always on and running in the background. If you don't want to believe facts, thats fine - Go test it yourself.
Test your battery life on a moto x with Touchless and Hot Word Disabled and force killed and on any other android phone vs having them on. You will see the proof before your eyes.