The Moto X will be legendary

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It just hit me, people in the future will be you like, "you remember that one phone that Motorola made while owned by Google? Oh yeah I used to own one of those, great phone too bad it got discontinued within a year" kind of like a special edition phone.

Or maybe not.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Let's not go crazy. Its a very nice phone, perhaps the best phone of 2013, and I love it. But it's not a paradigm shifting device. In that realm, there is the original iPhone, and then there's everything else.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
And I hope to never own an iPhone.

People are going to sneer, but Galaxy Nexus was a game changer, it had the biggest screen at the time of release and the first 720p phone (if I remembered correctly). Every single person complained that it's too big and 720p is redundant. Now everyone complain the Moto X is too small and too low res. So it definitely marked a new era of smartphone with large screen and hd res for media consumption.

I also think the Moto X is a game changer in a smaller way, with the hand free voice control, albeit still very limited when it comes to possibilities. Yeah I know about Siri even though Google had voice control since Android 2.0, but this is a bigger step forward in potential. It also introduce a new concept of personalized phone in the form of Moto Maker, sure it's limited, but it still allow more choices than the competition.

I have to give some credit to the Galaxy Note too which I dropped $850 to import on release.

You can't talk about big changes like iPhone anymore, it goes in smaller steps from now.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I also think the Moto X is a game changer in a smaller way, with the hand free voice control,

Voice control was the main reason why I bought the Moto X, and I like it a lot. I bought it because I want to support the effort of "touchless control", but we all know it needs a lot work. I believe that the voice control features could be the future of this type of tech, but the REAL "game-changer" will be the device that gets the voice control exactly right, making it a requirement for all other manufacturers to do the same.

I still think quantum leaps in phone technology are possible (similar to what the iPhone did). Perfectly functional touchless voice controls would be one of those leaps. It would change the way people use and interact with their phones.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Let's not go crazy. Its a very nice phone, perhaps the best phone of 2013, and I love it. But it's not a paradigm shifting device. In that realm, there is the original iPhone, and then there's everything else.

Nono I'm not saying it was a paradigm shifting device. I'm saying it was a phone that only existed less than a year. It was the only flagship phone of an awesome company merge. Like I said kind of a limited edition phone. The iPhone had many succesors, but we will never see a succesor to the Moto X (and Lenovo doesn't count).

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People are going to sneer, but Galaxy Nexus was a game changer, it had the biggest screen at the time of release and the first 720p phone (if I remembered correctly). Every single person complained that it's too big and 720p is redundant. Now everyone complain the Moto X is too small and too low res. So it definitely marked a new era of smartphone with large screen and hd res for media consumption.
The HTC Titan (a Windows Phone) came out a month before the Galaxy Nexus and had a true 4.7" screen vs. the 4.65" screen on the GNex, so it did not have the biggest screen. The Optimus LTE also beat the GNex to market by about a month and featured a 4.5" 720p display (though it wouldn't make it to the US until about 3 weeks after the GNex). The 720p HTC Rezound also beat the GNex to market, though only by a few days. And other phones with simillar specs followed very shortly after. Essentially, the GNex was not revolutionary, just par for flagships launching when it did.

I also think the Moto X is a game changer in a smaller way, with the hand free voice control, albeit still very limited when it comes to possibilities. Yeah I know about Siri even though Google had voice control since Android 2.0, but this is a bigger step forward in potential. It also introduce a new concept of personalized phone in the form of Moto Maker, sure it's limited, but it still allow more choices than the competition.

I have to give some credit to the Galaxy Note too which I dropped $850 to import on release.

You can't talk about big changes like iPhone anymore, it goes in smaller steps from now.

sent via tapatalk

I think both the Note and Moto X are bigger game changers than the GNex. The Note was mocked by many for its size when it launched. Now 5.2" is fairly common and accepted.

The Moto X is a game changer in two ways. First, it has completely changed how I expect to interact with a phone. I use voice commands all the time now. I have been a huge fan of voice commands since I owned the Samsung Instinct in 2008. That phone was crap in most regards, but it's voice commands, which were powered by Microsoft, were unrivaled by any other phones built in voice commands. The only thing that came close to comepeting was Vlingo on Blackberry. After that, Windows Phone 7 was the king of voice commands until Siri, though so few people used Windows Phone 7 that the greatness of the platform's voice commands was little known. Siri and Google Now are both great in different ways now. But touchless control on the Moto X is a game changer. Never before have you been able to initiate voice commands to do such a diverse range of things all without even touching your device. This is bordering on the dream we have had as humans since the 60's when both Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey envisoned computers that you could talk to and would talk back. I really think 2014 is going to be a big year for voice commands, and it will be due in no small part to the Moto X pushing this feature into an area it had never been before.

The second way the Moto X is revolutionary is in what you should expect to pay for flagship level smartphones. Motorola didn't throw in all the latest hardware because it didn't have to. More affordable hardware is perfectly capable of giving a grade A experience now. Instead, Motorola focused on providing an A+ software experience and, due to the less expensive components, has been able to drop the price to where people will actually be willing to buy it off contract. Sure, the Nexus 4 did this first, but everyone knew Google was subsidizing that device and turning next to no profit on it. Motorola is actually making money on each X sold, even if they haven't returned to profitability quite yet. Sure, we will still see $700 flagships, but people aren't going to be willing to pay $300 off contract for a phone that runs like crap anymore. They will expect flagship level performance, even if flagship bells and whistles don't come with it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Nono I'm not saying it was a paradigm shifting device. I'm saying it was a phone that only existed less than a year. It was the only flagship phone of an awesome company merge. Like I said kind of a limited edition phone. The iPhone had many succesors, but we will never see a succesor to the Moto X (and Lenovo doesn't count).

(Looks at Lenovo ThinkPad on my desk, suddenly remembers AGAIN that it's not an IBM).

Not worried too much about the future of the Moto line.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Titan (a Windows Phone) came out a month before the Galaxy Nexus and had a true 4.7" screen vs. the 4.65" screen on the GNex, so it did not have the biggest screen. The Optimus LTE also beat the GNex to market by about a month and featured a 4.5" 720p display (though it wouldn't make it to the US until about 3 weeks after the GNex). The 720p HTC Rezound also beat the GNex to market, though only by a few days. And other phones with simillar specs followed very shortly after. Essentially, the GNex was not revolutionary, just par for flagships launching when it did.

I think both the Note and Moto X are bigger game changers than the GNex. The Note was mocked by many for its size when it launched. Now 5.2" is fairly common and accepted.

The Moto X is a game changer in two ways. First, it has completely changed how I expect to interact with a phone. I use voice commands all the time now. I have been a huge fan of voice commands since I owned the Samsung Instinct in 2008. That phone was crap in most regards, but it's voice commands, which were powered by Microsoft, were unrivaled by any other phones built in voice commands. The only thing that came close to comepeting was Vlingo on Blackberry. After that, Windows Phone 7 was the king of voice commands until Siri, though so few people used Windows Phone 7 that the greatness of the platform's voice commands was little known. Siri and Google Now are both great in different ways now. But touchless control on the Moto X is a game changer. Never before have you been able to initiate voice commands to do such a diverse range of things all without even touching your device. This is bordering on the dream we have had as humans since the 60's when both Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey envisoned computers that you could talk to and would talk back. I really think 2014 is going to be a big year for voice commands, and it will be due in no small part to the Moto X pushing this feature into an area it had never been before.

The second way the Moto X is revolutionary is in what you should expect to pay for flagship level smartphones. Motorola didn't throw in all the latest hardware because it didn't have to. More affordable hardware is perfectly capable of giving a grade A experience now. Instead, Motorola focused on providing an A+ software experience and, due to the less expensive components, has been able to drop the price to where people will actually be willing to buy it off contract. Sure, the Nexus 4 did this first, but everyone knew Google was subsidizing that device and turning next to no profit on it. Motorola is actually making money on each X sold, even if they haven't returned to profitability quite yet. Sure, we will still see $700 flagships, but people aren't going to be willing to pay $300 off contract for a phone that runs like crap anymore. They will expect flagship level performance, even if flagship bells and whistles don't come with it.

I would disagree about the galaxy nexus being less of a game changer. It was the first phone that looked good from Google. It really made android modern.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would disagree about the galaxy nexus being less of a game changer. It was the first phone that looked good from Google. It really made android modern.

Ice Cream Sandwich made Android modern. The Galaxy Nexus was just along for the ride.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ice Cream Sandwich made Android modern. The Galaxy Nexus was just along for the ride.

This.

There was nothing particularly specialy about the GNex as a device. Ice Cream Sandwich was the game changer. My first Android phone was an HTC Hero, and after a while I got tired of dealing with all the garbage in Android. Force closes, stuttering, reboots, etc. So I left Android (several phones after the Hero, I was on a MyTouch 4G at this point after having the original Motorola Droid) and went to Windows phone. I was happy there and had no desire to come back to Android and actively tried to disuade my relatives for whom I am tech support from using it. Then Ice Cream Sandwich happened. It was a whole new ball game. Android was fast, smooth, stable, and looked good. I came back to Android a little less than a year after 4.0 came out, first to a Samsung GSII Skyrocket, then when I decided I hated Samsung I went to a Pantech Burst. I've been Android ever sine.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus One was the first phone that looked good from Google. That phone was the Android phone to have among enthusiasts. The only Nexus phone that hasn't been great was the Nexus S, which was nothing more than a rebadged Galaxy S 6 months after it's launch. At least with the GNex they made substantial changes from the GSII it was based on.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
But touchless control on the Moto X is a game changer.
I won't ever be able to live without it again.

The second way the Moto X is revolutionary is in what you should expect to pay for flagship level smartphones. Motorola didn't throw in all the latest hardware because it didn't have to. More affordable hardware is perfectly capable of giving a grade A experience now.
They bucked the trend of the Android phone spec wars.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet