AT&T Moto X: Trouble with SIM unlocking

laotzuology

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Moto X on eBay, clean IMEI, but AT&T locked. I get a really good deal with a T-mobile plan, so I want to SIM unlock my Moto. The decision was get a $200 locked phone and try to unlock it myself, or get a $300 (if I was lucky) unlocked phone. I tried using UnlockUnit's Unlock My Moto X app, but they couldn't find an unlock code and wanted me to pay $6 more. I know about the law that prevents third party unlock codes for phones made after 1/26/2013 so I thought this could be why it didn't work. I've done a ton of research and asked everyone I knew who I thought could be of help but I haven't found anything that works. Any suggestions, advice, resources, anything! would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I get a really good deal with a T-mobile plan, so I want to SIM unlock my Moto. The decision was get a $200 locked phone and try to unlock it myself, or get a $300 (if I was lucky) unlocked phone.
You can buy a 16GB GSM unlocked Tmobile compatible Moto X right now for $330 + tax thru Motorola. $380 for the 32GB and the 32GB Developer Edition (which I recommend).

Sell the phone you bought and buy one that works on TMobile.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most companies won't unlock unless you have been a customer for awhile. Find a friend with at&t say you will be traveling.

I called AT&T to unlock a few phones last year, and I am not a Verizon customer. They unlocked one and the second they said that they would unlock it as well, but didn't have the code for it. Ymmv but doesn't hurt to call

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

laotzuology

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I called, they said no. I had a couple friends (AT&T customers) call them with their customer info and try to unlock it, that didn't work. Cozume, kinda the point of trying to unlock it is because I don't have $330 +tax to go spend on another phone. Even if I sold the phone I have now to buy the unlocked $330 one, I would need $130 extra to buy the new unlocked phone.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I called, they said no. I had a couple friends (AT&T customers) call them with their customer info and try to unlock it, that didn't work. Cozume, kinda the point of trying to unlock it is because I don't have $330 +tax to go spend on another phone. Even if I sold the phone I have now to buy the unlocked $330 one, I would need $130 extra to buy the new unlocked phone.
Right now you have a $200 paperweight. Sell it to someone who can use it on ATT:

ATT Moto X Swappa

Then either buy a GSM unlocked one on swappa or save up some money and then get a Moto X that works. I am sure there will be another sale or price drop as the release date of the Moto X2 approaches.

Also, if you have decent credit, you can sign up for the Motorola financing plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz