02-19-2014 06:37 PM
38 12
tools
    I think the point the Moderator was making was many people confuse true carrier/OEM bloatware with applications that they just don't feel the need for.
    If you have an issue with something a moderator has done or said then contact them via PM to resolve it. Taking to the forums to complain or comment is unacceptable.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

To your first point:
    Sorry But I disagree. Everything and I mean Everything The OEM's or Carriers add to Stock KitKat is Bloat, Crapware, unneeded, whatever you want to call it. Then again, If they (the OEM's and the Carriers) would just leave Android alone 1/2 the Android Forums and sites wouldn't exist!
    To me and nearly every one who visits these Tech forums, You know, all those people who are all looking for ways to get rid of them, Have issues because of them, Are trying to find a better Rom because of them, are Complaining how they slow the phone down, Trying to figure out why Android is so buggy, why their phone isn't being updated etc... Come to think of it, wasn't that was this thread was about in the first place? Yup. yet another User wanting to get rid of the Crap the Andoid OEM's and Carriers force upon us, That he never had with his Stock iToy.
    Like I said, Everything that doesnt come stock on Android, to me is bloat

As to your second point:
    Didn't you just do the same thing?
    And Him / her too?
    02-19-2014 01:55 AM
    To your first point:
    Sorry But I disagree. Everything and I mean Everything The OEM's or Carriers add to Stock KitKat is Bloat, Crapware, unneeded, whatever you want to call it. Then again, If they (the OEM's and the Carriers) would just leave Android alone 1/2 the Android Forums and sites wouldn't exist!
    To me and nearly every one who visits these Tech forums, You know, all those people who are all looking for ways to get rid of them, Have issues because of them, Are trying to find a better Rom because of them, are Complaining how they slow the phone down, Trying to figure out why Android is so buggy, why their phone isn't being updated etc... Come to think of it, wasn't that was this thread was about in the first place? Yup. yet another User wanting to get rid of the Crap the Andoid OEM's and Carriers force upon us, That he never had with his Stock iToy.
    This probably has been mentioned before but the answer is simple then, you want pure Android then buy a Nexus or developer/Google Play Edition.

Otherwise you deal with whatever the OEMs and carriers place on the device.

You have a choice its that easy.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Ry likes this.
    02-19-2014 06:55 AM
    To your first point:
    Um. Every Android phone out there has "bloat" then since GMS is added on top (+ TouchWiz, +Sense, +whatever LG and Sony call their layers).

"Pure" Android is AOSP.

"Stock" Android is AOSP.

AOSP is NOT Google Mobile Services.

"Stock" Android isn't Nexus. "Stock" Android isn't Google Play edition either.
    Paul627g likes this.
    02-19-2014 10:59 AM
    Why is this even in this forum?
    I get that Nexus enthusiasts have a pathological fear of bloatware, but this ain't the Nexus forum.
    I have disabled nothing, turned zero default settings off, hunted down a total of nothing to get rid of things that could make my phone lag or lose power and my phone does not lag and my battery lasts all day.

I'm sure that there are programs I don't use that could be disabled or uninstalled, but I have put the things I do use on my screens and I just use those and then turn my phone off and live life.
    I've never had a reason to worry about what this phone is doing or holding on to behind my back.
    Ry likes this.
    02-19-2014 12:14 PM
    This probably has been mentioned before but the answer is simple then, you want pure Android then buy a Nexus or developer/Google Play Edition.

Otherwise you deal with whatever the OEMs and carriers place on the device.

You have a choice its that easy.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    You must have missed the part where The op said he is on Verizon.
    There is no choice of a GPE for Verizon, they are GSM Only! Same goes with the Nexus
    Everyone Stuck with Verizon, Be it for a grandfathered unlimited data or Connection issues. Has Only one choice if they want something remotely resembling stock Android (very remotely) And that is the Bloat filled Moto x.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is this even in this forum?
    I get that Nexus enthusiasts have a pathological fear of bloatware, but this ain't the Nexus forum.
    I have disabled nothing, turned zero default settings off, hunted down a total of nothing to get rid of things that could make my phone lag or lose power and my phone does not lag and my battery lasts all day.

I'm sure that there are programs I don't use that could be disabled or uninstalled, but I have put the things I do use on my screens and I just use those and then turn my phone off and live life.
    I've never had a reason to worry about what this phone is doing or holding on to behind my back.
    Ask the Op
    02-19-2014 02:16 PM
    Um. Every Android phone out there has "bloat" then since GMS is added on top (+ TouchWiz, +Sense, +whatever LG and Sony call their layers).

"Pure" Android is AOSP.

"Stock" Android is AOSP.

AOSP is NOT Google Mobile Services.

"Stock" Android isn't Nexus. "Stock" Android isn't Google Play edition either.
    I disagree. Since Google owns Android, their Version is 100% Stock, You may not like some of it's new features, but until they either change it or bring out a new nexus it is Stock. That version of Stock android is currently the one that comes with the Nexus 5 and Only the nexus 5 - 4.4.2.
    The Google Now Launcher is Stock, even though some liken it to a skin or bloat. Like I said, it comes from Google, they own Android so it's stock.
    This Notion that only AOSP without Googles software is Stock is just silly. When they begin to offer a phone with just AOSP, then you will have a case
    02-19-2014 02:22 PM
    Ask the Op
    I did, but you responded instead.
    Here's the irony. In your response above the unneeded reply to my post, you refer to the device as " the Bloat filled Moto x."
    Obviously, you care. May I ask why?
    02-19-2014 02:24 PM
    I disagree. Since Google owns Android, their Version is 100% Stock, You may not like some of it's new features, but until they either change it or bring out a new nexus it is Stock. That version of Stock android is currently the one that comes with the Nexus 5 and Only the nexus 5 - 4.4.2.
    The Google Now Launcher is Stock, even though some liken it to a skin or bloat. Like I said, it comes from Google, they own Android so it's stock.
    This Notion that only AOSP without Googles software is Stock is just silly. When they begin to offer a phone with just AOSP, then you will have a case
    It's pretty clear.

Google owns Android. Android is open source software via the Android Open Source Project. You can build an Android phone without Google services. AOSP is a full smartphone operating system.

Google Mobile Services. Gmail. Google Play services. Google Play Store. Google Search. Google Now Launcher. These are all closed applications. This is NOT stock Android.

Google replaces the AOSP camera app with their own camera app. Google replaces the AOSP gallery app with their own Photos app via Google+. Google replaces the AOSP contacts app with their own contacts app. Google replaces the AOSP messaging app with Hangouts. Google replaces the AOSP browser with Google Chrome. Google replaces the AOSP launcher with the Google Now Launcher on the Nexus 5.

Stock Android is AOSP. Just because Google owns Android and makes phones that run Android doesn't make those phones "stock Android".
    02-19-2014 02:39 PM
    ^ THIS
    Nexus phones have Google bloatware. Everyone just accepts it because they know that's a great part of how Google keeps the cost of the Nexus phone down.
    Ry and davidnc like this.
    02-19-2014 03:36 PM
    ^ THIS
    Nexus phones have Google bloatware. Everyone just accepts it because they know that's a great part of how Google keeps the cost of the Nexus phone down.
    And because their apps are for the most part really good or at least better than the AOSP alternative

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    02-19-2014 05:16 PM
    It's pretty clear.

Google owns Android. Android is open source software via the Android Open Source Project. You can build an Android phone without Google services. AOSP is a full smartphone operating system.

Google Mobile Services. Gmail. Google Play services. Google Play Store. Google Search. Google Now Launcher. These are all closed applications. This is NOT stock Android.

Google replaces the AOSP camera app with their own camera app. Google replaces the AOSP gallery app with their own Photos app via Google+. Google replaces the AOSP contacts app with their own contacts app. Google replaces the AOSP messaging app with Hangouts. Google replaces the AOSP browser with Google Chrome. Google replaces the AOSP launcher with the Google Now Launcher on the Nexus 5.

Stock Android is AOSP. Just because Google owns Android and makes phones that run Android doesn't make those phones "stock Android".
    Like I said, When you can BUY a Stock AOSP phone on verizon, You will Have A Case to make, Until that fantasy date arrives, The Nexus 5 is the Current Stock Android. Anything added to it buy other OEM's or Carriers is Bloat.
    02-19-2014 06:20 PM
    I did, but you responded instead.
    Here's the irony. In your response above the unneeded reply to my post, you refer to the device as " the Bloat filled Moto x."
    Obviously, you care. May I ask why?
    Again, Ask the Op he started the tread asking specifficaly about bloat, What is it and how to get rid of it
    02-19-2014 06:21 PM
    The OP's questions about bloatware, what it is exactly and a well broken down description of things has been explored. Beating this endless debate over Verizon or any carrier or OEM's decision to place bloatware on the device is senseless. It is what it is... You don't like it then speak with your wallet and change carriers, choice of OEM's or worst case try another platform.

The Moto X, is a wonderful device and shows what Moto is capable of doing. We hope Levono will continue to do good things with what it has acquired in Motorola.

All that being said, I'm going to close this thread up.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    UJ95x, davidnc and anon(6142785) like this.
    02-19-2014 06:37 PM
38 12