Verizon Moto X without Bloatware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
So I dropped my iPhone in my cup yesterday and it's dead, fortunately I was looking at switching since my Power On button barely works, so the water incident is a good thing to a degree.

My question is, I see I can buy a Moto X off contract for $379 (32gb) but it's going to take 9 days and doesn't seem to be for Verizon. Or I can go to Verizon, buy an off-contract there (still on a contract with my iPhone 5), but it seems it comes with Verizons crappy bloatware.

Does an off-contract direct from Motorola come with bloatware or without if going with Verizon, or am I right in assuming the off-contract direct from Motorola isn't for Verizon and I'm forced to go to the store?

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So the great thing about the bloatware is that it can be disabled permanently in a few short seconds. My MMX came with the standard Verizon apps, but were all disabled immediately with no ill effects. Buying off the shelf in a store will yield the same results.

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This thread shows some bloatware that safe to disabled. I think there is another list showing more things safe to disable. There are somethings you shouldnt disable.Be careful what you disable dont just start disabling anything.I have a few things disabled not shown on this list.
Bloatware is typically Apps that come pre installed and cant be uninstalled (without root), and are not wanted or used by the phone's owner .
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/311475-safe-disable-apps-list-verizon-bloatware.html

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I dropped my iPhone in my cup yesterday and it's dead, fortunately I was looking at switching since my Power On button barely works, so the water incident is a good thing to a degree.

My question is, I see I can buy a Moto X off contract for $379 (32gb) but it's going to take 9 days and doesn't seem to be for Verizon. Or I can go to Verizon, buy an off-contract there (still on a contract with my iPhone 5), but it seems it comes with Verizons crappy bloatware.

Does an off-contract direct from Motorola come with bloatware or without if going with Verizon, or am I right in assuming the off-contract direct from Motorola isn't for Verizon and I'm forced to go to the store?

The off-contract Moto X for Verizon is the same as an on-contract Moto X for Verizon.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Everything !!! From Verizon is Bloat - Verizon Login, Verizon Tones, Voicemail, Vz Navigator, Sync Services, NFL Mobile, My verizon mobile, Mobile Hotspot, Call Make ID,

Most from Motorola is Bloat too. - Photo ScreenSavers, motorola spotlight player, motorola Skip set up, motorola Migrate, Motorola Connect, motorola Checkin, Motorola assist, moto care, Device management, d2d call handler, Motorola moodles, Audio effects, Toucless Controls = Were cool for the first five minutes but a battery drain so is the Active display. They both also slow down the phone, Touchless is just a middle man to Google hotword detection and when you unlock the x using the active display pull down gesture instead of the android slide gesture, you notice lag and a stutter

A Lot of Google Bloat as well - Live wall papers, Talk back, Tags, Sound Recorder, Preset, Picasa uploader, Music Visulization Wall Paper, Phase beam, Magic smole wall papers, google+, Google play games, Google one tim init, google pinyin input, Face unlock, Email & Exchange serivces if using Gmail, Basic Daydreams, bubbles, Android Live Wall papers,

And Several that unfortunately, Can't be Disabled - Backup assistant+ & backip assistant+ contacts - neither can be disabled, Motorola setup wizard, Demo mode, Emergency alerts, Live wallpaper picker, Moto Care, Moto Client, Motorola ID, Motorola serices, Motorola services main, Motorols SLPC service, Motorolal SLPC system, Native Drop Box agent, Sttings storage, Wireless dispay, Wireless Display servixe, Wireless Display widget.

There are also at least a dozen of the Android Green Icon services which can and should be killed or disabled if possible, Anything with VZW or Verizon in it, Several Moto / Motorolas ones

Compare a Moto x to the nexus 5, You wont find any of these, except the Google ones on that phone and it works fine, therefore, None should be on the X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Everything !!! From Verizon is Bloat - Verizon Login, Verizon Tones, Voicemail, Vz Navigator, Sync Services, NFL Mobile, My verizon mobile, Mobile Hotspot, Call Make ID,

Most from Motorola is Bloat too. - Photo ScreenSavers, motorola spotlight player, motorola Skip set up, motorola Migrate, Motorola Connect, motorola Checkin, Motorola assist, moto care, Device management, d2d call handler, Motorola moodles, Audio effects, Toucless Controls = Were cool for the first five minutes but a battery drain so is the Active display. They both also slow down the phone, Touchless is just a middle man to Google hotword detection and when you unlock the x using the active display pull down gesture instead of the android slide gesture, you notice lag and a stutter

A Lot of Google Bloat as well - Live wall papers, Talk back, Tags, Sound Recorder, Preset, Picasa uploader, Music Visulization Wall Paper, Phase beam, Magic smole wall papers, google+, Google play games, Google one tim init, google pinyin input, Face unlock, Email & Exchange serivces if using Gmail, Basic Daydreams, bubbles, Android Live Wall papers,

And Several that unfortunately, Can't be Disabled - Backup assistant+ & backip assistant+ contacts - neither can be disabled, Motorola setup wizard, Demo mode, Emergency alerts, Live wallpaper picker, Moto Care, Moto Client, Motorola ID, Motorola serices, Motorola services main, Motorols SLPC service, Motorolal SLPC system, Native Drop Box agent, Sttings storage, Wireless dispay, Wireless Display servixe, Wireless Display widget.

There are also at least a dozen of the Android Green Icon services which can and should be killed or disabled if possible, Anything with VZW or Verizon in it, Several Moto / Motorolas ones

Compare a Moto x to the nexus 5, You wont find any of these, except the Google ones on that phone and it works fine, therefore, None should be on the X

Active display and always listening had no effect on battery life when I used the Moto X. Battery was exceptional. Had around 3 hours and 40 minutes of screen time with about 45 percent left. The Nexus 5 won't get anywhere near that.
I liked the Nexus 5 in the very short time I used it, but I would still take the Moto X over it any day. The "bloatware" is minimal. Most of what you mentioned were system processes and not actual apps you could use. The Motorola apps are actually useful.
If you really wanted to, you could delete them all anyway

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Turn them Both off, you will notice and increase in battery life, Not A huge one but enough to matter.
The main reason people complain about battery life on the Nexus 5 is because of certain apps that drain it - Hot Word detection is a huge one! Then you have Location History and Location Reporting and commute sharing, which all turn on by default with Google now! Turn them off and the Nexus 5 gets the same or better battery life then the moto x.
3:35 is acceptable at 45%, I am currently at 3:02 with 52% left with 19H30Mins on battery using only 4G. Over 14% of that battery drain was in total standby. The problem with the moto x is that the last 25% of battery life goes much faster then the first. If you had an honest 7+ hours of screen on time that would be Great for any std size battery Android. Unfortunately that is not the case, it is usually 5 to 6 hours or less depending how long the phone was on. Since an android connected and syncing even with all bloat disabled will lose about 1+% per hour and more the longer it is on.
Also there is the fact that WiFi is messed up , over night, even with always scanning off and Never while sleeping engaged the Wifi is on 85+% of the time constantly waking the phone, I have been testing this with wifi or 4g. With wifi disabled the phone sleeps great, wifi on it is awake 1/2 of the sleep time
As to the usefulness of the Moto bloat. To each his own, I don't need or use any of it. It is All bloat to me. The phone runs much smoother with out it all. Like I said touch less controls, to me, is a parlor trick at best and the Active display although somewhat usefull (checking the time) I find to be a waste. 90% of the time if I am pulling out my phone, it is to do something, thus the screen is coming on anyway. And I still wear a watch!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Turn them Both off, you will notice and increase in battery life, Not A huge one but enough to matter.
The main reason people complain about battery life on the Nexus 5 is because of certain apps that drain it - Hot Word detection is a huge one! Then you have Location History and Location Reporting and commute sharing, which all turn on by default with Google now! Turn them off and the Nexus 5 gets the same or better battery life then the moto x.
3:35 is acceptable at 45%, I am currently at 3:02 with 52% left with 19H30Mins on battery using only 4G. Over 14% of that battery drain was in total standby. The problem with the moto x is that the last 25% of battery life goes much faster then the first. If you had an honest 7+ hours of screen on time that would be Great for any std size battery Android. Unfortunately that is not the case, it is usually 5 to 6 hours or less depending how long the phone was on. Since an android connected and syncing even with all bloat disabled will lose about 1+% per hour and more the longer it is on.
Also there is the fact that WiFi is messed up , over night, even with always scanning off and Never while sleeping engaged the Wifi is on 85+% of the time constantly waking the phone, I have been testing this with wifi or 4g. With wifi disabled the phone sleeps great, wifi on it is awake 1/2 of the sleep time
As to the usefulness of the Moto bloat. To each his own, I don't need or use any of it. It is All bloat to me. The phone runs much smoother with out it all. Like I said touch less controls, to me, is a parlor trick at best and the Active display although somewhat usefull (checking the time) I find to be a waste. 90% of the time if I am pulling out my phone, it is to do something, thus the screen is coming on anyway. And I still wear a watch!

Fair enough. I have gotten 7+ hours of screen time on my S4 several times and most were with more than 15 hours of awake time. Even had one with 25 hours or so.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This thread shows some bloatware that safe to disabled. I think there is another list showing more things safe to disable. There are somethings you shouldnt disable.Be careful what you disable dont just start disabling anything.I have a few things disabled not shown on this list.
Bloatware is typically Apps that come pre installed and cant be uninstalled (without root), and are not wanted or used by the phone's owner .
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/311475-safe-disable-apps-list-verizon-bloatware.html

Can I safely disable these same apps on my VZW S3 with 4.3?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The S4 had a larger battery, 2600 vs 2200 . Theres over an hour in that size difference

The S4 has a larger screen and a higher resolution than the Moto X. Plus a less battery friendly processor :p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please keep it civil. If you feel a post has crossed the line, report it and move on. No need to reply to it.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The S4 has a larger screen and a higher resolution than the Moto X. Plus a less battery friendly processor :p

What!? You got rid of your X? How dare you. ;)

I only say that because I saw you said "when I had my moto x" in your earlier post.

I am just messing with you though. :b

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The Jury is out on whether or not the Screen size, resolution and processor had any effect on the moto x.
Googlerola tried to convince everyone these things didn't need to be the Latest & Greatest or fastest & biggest etc. And in not making them that, the phone would then have better battery life etc. But nearly every reviewer came to a different conclusion
The so Called "24 Hours of Mixed use" Battery life was debunked from day one. If your mix included 20+/- hours of standby!
As it turns out, the moto x, while an improvement over the galaxy nexus or others from that era is no better than any other current android and worse then many in battery life.

Besides my nexus 7 2013 gets double the battery life on a screen that is 42% bigger, a battery 95% bigger and using your terminology a "less battery friendly processor"

Now tell me why a 32 GB nexus 7 4G is $100 less than a 32 GB nexus 5? All the same components sans the phone radio, one of them is over priced!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante