Thinking about ordering Moto X but not sure

howardknoah

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am going to be ordering either the Moto X or Nexus 5 in the next day or two. I am currently on Sprint but my contract is up in May and I will be switching carriers. I have been using an old Samsung Instinct as my G3 stopped working. At this point, I want an unlocked phone and am going back and forth between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I have been reading many threads in the forums and am still unsure. With the $70.00 discount for the Moto X, the prices are fairly comparable. I am basically looking for any thoughts on this. I do not plan on rooting my phone and use it mainly for internet, camera and music. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the Nexus is substantially better at general point and shoot so if that's an important quality and it's only for a few months, I'd go that route.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If I could have got the N5 on Verizon, I would have. But now that I have the Moto X, I'm very happy with it. In fact the touchless controls are something that I did not know I would use so much. So I'm kind of glad I got the Moto X now over the Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

firsttimer44

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I currently have both phones and to be honest I prefer my nexus 5 over the moto x.

The screen, camera, and performance on the nexus 5 are superior in my opinion. I like the active display but it's not enough to get me to stay with the moto x.

Posted via Android Central App

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on what is most important to you in a phone.

A lot of people get stuck in the trap of looking for the "perfect phone". The reality is: There is no such thing. So you have to make a mental list of the features you find important, and prioritize them.

If you want the better camera, a bigger, sharper screen, and faster firmware updates, go with the Nexus 5.

If you want ergonomics, a custom look/feel, Touchless controls, Active display, and better battery life, go with Moto X.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
N5, no question.
I am going to be ordering either the Moto X or Nexus 5 in the next day or two. I am currently on Sprint but my contract is up in May and I will be switching carriers. I have been using an old Samsung Instinct as my G3 stopped working. At this point, I want an unlocked phone and am going back and forth between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I have been reading many threads in the forums and am still unsure. With the $70.00 discount for the Moto X, the prices are fairly comparable. I am basically looking for any thoughts on this. I do not plan on rooting my phone and use it mainly for internet, camera and music. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It boils down to one question. Better camera? Go with the Nexus. Better battery life? Go with the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

g8-rez

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It boils down to one question. Better camera? Go with the Nexus. Better battery life? Go with the Moto X.

Umm that 2 questions!! JK

I agree with the others here that you need to think about what is important to you and how you use a phone. Then decide which phone matches your needs better!
The ideal phone for one person, might be horrible for someone else!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Umm that 2 questions!! JK

LOL..I meant choice...either one or the other. A question of battery life or photos. OP mentioned photos, but didn't mention what their battery life needs were so I figured I would just thrown that in there. Both are important to me, but ultimately decided to try the Moto and haven't regretted it since even with it's somewhat lacking camera. I was one of the winners in last week's AC photo contest, so it's usable I guess. :)

the_icon12

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have both devices and am selling my Nexus 5. This screen is nice on the Nexus but comparing them, it doesnt make you die with envy. The Moto X's software features blow the N5's out of the water. Active Notifications and Touchless Control are an everyday use for me. If you know what you're doing with camera controls, the Moto X can take pictures of the same quality of the N5.

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I wanted the Nexus too but then, like everyone else, started using the touchless controls and Moto Assist on the Moto X. Wouldnt change a thing now. Love this device.

atCristhian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion the N5 can't compete with the Moto X features. Assist, Active display, Touchless control, and Motorola Connect are features that only the Moto X has.
There are some apps that can help you get the same features on the N5, but is not gonna be the same.

And a lot lf people will say that the camera on the N5 is better and that's true, but the X camera is not really that bad. But you have to question yourself... A camera is really important for you? Are you a 14yo who loves to take selfies? Are you gonna take pictures everyday?

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know the extent of the problem but try googling Nexus 5 cracked screen. There are some horror stores out there about the fragile nature of the screen. If you google the same for Moto X there doesn't seem to be the same level of activity. Not sure if this is skewed by sales numbers but the reports scared me away from the Nexus. I have no idea how the build quality of the Moto compares to the Nexus but quite a large number of people seem to be pissed about the fragile screens on the Nexus 5.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion the N5 can't compete with the Moto X features. Assist, Active display, Touchless control, and Motorola Connect are features that only the Moto X has.
There are some apps that can help you get the same features on the N5, but is not gonna be the same.

And a lot lf people will say that the camera on the N5 is better and that's true, but the X camera is not really that bad. But you have to question yourself... A camera is really important for you? Are you a 14yo who loves to take selfies? Are you gonna take pictures everyday?

People always mention touchless control as exclusive to the Moto X but my girlfriend has an S4 and she can also tell the phone to do stuff. Is the only difference that the Moto can do it from a locked screen, or are there other advantages?

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
People always mention touchless control as exclusive to the Moto X but my girlfriend has an S4 and she can also tell the phone to do stuff. Is the only difference that the Moto can do it from a locked screen, or are there other advantages?

Yes from the lock screen, and it actually works, really well. The Galaxy can't really compare to it. It's Google now without having to touch your phone.

I have a nexus five, but have played with the moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes from the lock screen, and it actually works, really well. The Galaxy can't really compare to it. It's Google now without having to touch your phone.

I have a nexus five, but have played with the moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In what way, other than having to unlock the screen? Just curious, seems like it's the same thing other than that from the little I've observed on the S4.