Verizon Moto X: 4.4.2 update

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The whole reason I liked the Moto X was the awesome battery life. Since the OTA Update last night I am drained in less than 10 hours with almost no usage. I am not rooted and easily made an entire day with some light data and 45-60 minutes of calls.

EPIC FAIL !!!!!

Have you looked to see what is draining the battery? If it is an app, have you removed and reinstalled the app? If it isn't an app and if the drain continues, consider a factory reset. That should get you back to normal.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Android OS is using 40% and screen is using 15%.

I will try the Factory reset and cross every finger....................

I've been having the same Android OS taking up 40-50% also. Really frustrating. I have not changed apps since before the update. I know its happening when my phone drains 10% in an hour when I didn't use it. Other than this little problem everything else has been great.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Have you looked to see what is draining the battery? If it is an app, have you removed and reinstalled the app? If it isn't an app and if the drain continues, consider a factory reset. That should get you back to normal.

I am so sick of factory data resets. I feel that this OS should be past that at this point.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
To this day, I've never had to do factory resets after an OS update. I'm not sure what the deal is there. Also, to add my 2 cents on phone behavior on 4.4.2, my phone has been working great with no negative changes, including battery life and such. One thing I've noticed is that I don't load up my phone with useless apps that I don't use. I recently gave my son my old Droid 4 which worked really well before I gave it to him. He started complaining of it being slow and the battery won't last. I looked over the phone and noticed that he was downloading a bunch of random games and apps which altered the behavior and performance of the phone. I removed most and the phone was closer to normal. Point being is, don't fill your phone with crap...

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
To this day, I've never had to do factory resets after an OS update. I'm not sure what the deal is there. Also, to add my 2 cents on phone behavior on 4.4.2, my phone has been working great with no negative changes, including battery life and such. One thing I've noticed is that I don't load up my phone with useless apps that I don't use. I recently gave my son my old Droid 4 which worked really well before I gave it to him. He started complaining of it being slow and the battery won't last. I looked over the phone and noticed that he was downloading a bunch of random games and apps which altered the behavior and performance of the phone. I removed most and the phone was closer to normal. Point being is, don't fill your phone with crap...

+1, about the overdoing it on the "useless apps". I've tried to keep it as simple as possible and never had to do the factory reset...the phone is working great!

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
+1, about the overdoing it on the "useless apps". I've tried to keep it as simple as possible and never had to do the factory reset...the phone is working great!

Also, even the "useful" apps which I like to use, albeit not as frequently as others, I've discovered have "notification" functionality that I "don't" need...by turning that service off for those apps has dramatically improved battery life.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same Android OS taking up 40-50% also. Really frustrating. I have not changed apps since before the update. I know its happening when my phone drains 10% in an hour when I didn't use it. Other than this little problem everything else has been great.

Look around the web. This is a known/documented bug with 4.4.2 on every device. It has to do with the camera usage by apps. Some apps have updated. I've read of people fixing this by uninstalling Skype. Doing a power cycle when the phone first comes off the charger helps.
Google is working on this for sure.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

My Moto X uses around 50% for the Android OS. Not sure why when it is just sitting there idled.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Should I let the battery die completely and then recharge?

When I put my phone on the charger at night I'm rarely below 50%(15-16 Hours off charger for my day). I'm getting into the habit of restarting my X in the morning when I take it off the charger. Takes very little time and I'm usually busy getting ready anyways so not really an inconvenience.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
emumasuq.jpg

Much better battery life after charging then restarting. Love this Moto X!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you restart while still connected to power source or after disconnecting? Or does it matter?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app