Moto X without a data plan, does MMS work?

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Moto X without a data plan please comment in this thread with a yes, I'm doing a survey and would like to ask a few questions. TY

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Question about your moto x

If you have a Moto X without a data plan please comment in this thread with a yes, I'm doing a survey and would like to ask a few questions. TY

Republic Wireless or Solavei? I have had a Moto X on Republic but not Solavei. As far as I know they are the only carriers that offer data-less plans.

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Republic Wireless or Solavei? I have had a Moto X on Republic but not Solavei. As far as I know they are the only carriers that offer data-less plans.

What im trying to figure out is if the users moto x MMS works still, without a data plan. As well as to figure out which carriers they are on

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

MMS will not work without some kind of data on any carrier.

Last edited:

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine the answer would be defined as to whether your carrier allows the messages to be forwarded or not.

SMS was designed to be delivered via the SS7 layer of the telephone networks. The internet isn't required.

MMS is an internet protocol. The question would be whether the carrier blocks the ability to receive them when you are connected via wifi or don't subscribe to text messaging services. I don't see any technological obstacle, but that doesn't mean that a carrier would alow you to do so.

AT&T forwards them even if you don't have text messaging, but I think they cost $0.60 a pop.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Republic Wireless is the only one that will allow MMS through wifi but quality is highly reduced making the pics very pixelated. This is only possible because Republic Wireless make their own ROM for the Moto X for their hybrid calling system and are a special case. No other carrier allows MMS over wifi.

To clarify MMS in Android is not a protocol and shouldn't be mixed up with "MMS" the "Microsoft Media Server" which is a protocol. SMS was not made for the SS7 layer it is just allowed within the SS7 set of telephony signaling protocols. SMS can be used on any standardized communication protocol.

Multimedia Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft Media Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_System_No._7

Last edited:

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine the answer would be defined as to whether your carrier allows the messages to be forwarded or not.

SMS was designed to be delivered via the SS7 layer of the telephone networks. The internet isn't required.

MMS is an internet protocol. The question would be whether the carrier blocks the ability to receive them when you are connected via wifi or don't subscribe to text messaging services. I don't see any technological obstacle, but that doesn't mean that a carrier would alow you to do so.

AT&T forwards them even if you don't have text messaging, but I think they cost $0.60 a pop.

What if you have data blocked on your phone for AT&T, would that forwarding still be charged to you?

And not sure if this link is relevant but it demonstrates how to get MMS working on your phone

Answer: How to configure Android for MMS only on AT&T (no data) - xda-developers

paulw3

May 21, 2012
Visit site

I've all but given up on MMS due to the cost here (20 ~ 50c per message) and most of family and friends use WhatsApp for MMS via WiFi..

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

It is completely possible and done by many to receive an MMS message without getting it direct from the MMS system. There are apps and 3rd party software to route it through other methods of delivery.

But to that point why not just use email?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
You may be able to MMS if you have an APN assigned for MMS. I have two entries in my APN section, one for ISP data and one for MMS.

See if you can find a "Setup MMS for xxxx" where "xxx" is your State or sometimes, even your County or City. A lot of people have posted their MMS settings. Providing the settings are for an Android phone it may work. Costs nothing to try but time.

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

It is completely possible and done by many to receive an MMS message without getting it direct from the MMS system. There are apps and 3rd party software to route it through other methods of delivery.

But to that point why not just use email?

Yea i been using email,

I don't have a data plan but sometimes i get MMS from people who think i might receive it and it shows the download button. But im not sure if i can actually click that download button..

- - - Updated - - -

You may be able to MMS if you have an APN assigned for MMS. I have two entries in my APN section, one for ISP data and one for MMS.

See if you can find a "Setup MMS for xxxx" where "xxx" is your State or sometimes, even your County or City. A lot of people have posted their MMS settings. Providing the settings are for an Android phone it may work. Costs nothing to try but time.

Lets say i did change up my APN will my phone provider find out in any way?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Lets say i did change up my APN will my phone provider find out in any way?

Unfortunately, can't help there, but a guess is probably not as my MMS use a totally different ISP so there may not be any track-back to the phone company.

Having said that, what can be used within the APN should be controlled by the Permissions within the SIM card set by your provider. If your phone company does not allow MMS then you would probably get a message "no service provider" or something like that after trying to send an MMS.

However these are guesses as I had Data and MMS set up and assigned by my carrier.

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, can't help there, but a guess is probably not as my MMS use a totally different ISP so there may not be any track-back to the phone company.

Having said that, what can be used within the APN should be controlled by the Permissions within the SIM card set by your provider. If your phone company does not allow MMS then you would probably get a message "no service provider" or something like that after trying to send an MMS.

However these are guesses as I had Data and MMS set up and assigned by my carrier.

Which phone company do you have?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca