How long can x remain usable with decent usage before battery life and lagginess make it unusable

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
...before battery life and lagginess make it unusable

My last android ics started snappy and over time the lag became too much (like windows where you need a clean install) - is that a trait - though my wife has same model phone with much less usage that is still plugging away fine.

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: How long can x remain usable with decent usage...

I don't think that'll happen with any of the newer android handsets because of trim. As for the moto X I've had mine about a month and it's fresh like it came out the box no last whatsoever

Posted via Android Central App

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site

I never had this problem with my previous Android phones (HTC Hero and HTC Amaze). No issues with my Moto X so far either and been using it since December. Ive only turned it off to update the software lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I never had this problem with my previous Android phones (HTC Hero and HTC Amaze). No issues with my Moto X so far either and been using it since December. Ive only turned it off to update the software lol.

In all honesty, I think you tricked yourself into not seeing it on those phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
...before battery life and lagginess make it unusable

My last android ics started snappy and over time the lag became too much (like windows where you need a clean install) - is that a trait - though my wife has same model phone with much less usage that is still plugging away fine.

Based on this from Anandtech, I doubt we'll see the Moto X become "laggy". AnandTech | Moto X Review

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

All batteries have a finite life but it should be fine for two years unless you're going through charge cycles like a madman. Lag should not be a problem because the Moto X uses an F2FS file system for its internal data storage.

AnandTech | Moto X Review

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

My guess is 18 months.
I'm assuming that I will get the itch for a newer phone before performance is impacted enough that I really "need" one.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

My guess is 18 months.
I'm assuming that I will get the itch for a newer phone before performance is impacted enough that I really "need" one.

What he ^ said. Think the Motorola Nexus flip-phone "flex screen" will woo me before a needed replacement.:D

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I haven't had any lag in my Moto X either. Almost 3 months since I snagged it up.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm estimating 217 days, 6 hours, and 13 minutes before my phone becomes completely unusable.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site

In all honesty, I think you tricked yourself into not seeing it on those phones.
Well the Hero was always slow and only became usable after throwing a Gingerbread ROM on it. The Amaze didnt have this problem on the stock ROM only custom ones. On the other hand my Nexus 7 (2012) gets sluggish after a few months and the only cure is a factory reset.

But the battery life and performance have remained constant on my Moto X, same goes for my gf's X.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm estimating 217 days, 6 hours, and 13 minutes before my phone becomes completely unusable.

Put me down for the over lol...

Understand the itch to upgrade but aside just wondering if the x and android can keep on ticking - thoroughbred or warhorse.

Appreciate the anandtech review, i'm probably misreading but the anti-lag pronouncement appeared to be for near full storage usage, a pretty specific use case. With app installs/uninstalls, internet surfing etc. does android or iOS have a propensity to slow over time or even slow to a crawl. This was my last experience and wondering if this is to be expected.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

After some time, it'd be good to do a factory reset.

There are so many apps you still keep on your phone "just in case." A factory reset is a chance to do a cleanup.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I expect to use this thing until I can't for whatever reason, and possibly changing out the battery when necessary. Can't imagine "upgrading" any time soon.

Of course this is coming from someone who until a couple of weeks ago was using a Palm Centro feature phone for the last few months, and a Katana flip phone for years before that. But still, can't imagine what would drive me to get a different phone any time in the next few years.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I term of battery life, I would say somewhere after 500 full charge cycles, then replacing the batter could help, but a lithium battery can go to 1000 cycles.

In term of lagginess, never, as long as you know how to manage the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy