Motorola: Google had No Influence on the Moto X or G

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The execs went on to say that the Moto X’s software features or the Moto G were original Motorola creations that had nothing to do with Google’s input, even though these devices clearly departed from the RAZR Android handsets the company launched before, especially when it comes to the almost pure Android operating system. However, the execs say that was also an internal Motorola decision that had nothing to do with Google.

They were already headed in that direction. When the 2011 DROIDs got ICS, Motorola went for a more "pure Android" look an feel. That continued when those devices got Jelly Bean. The 2012 DROIDs did the same. In fact, they were more similar to the Nexus 5/Google Now Launcher too (swipe left for settings, 1 homescreen and add to the right).

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well if anyone remembers like I do, Motorola's skin (MotoBlur) was the most hated skin, more than Samsung's I would say at the time. They went for a more stock look when the ICS updates came for the 2011 Motorola phones, and when the 2012 Droids hit, they went for a stockish feel from the get go and the rest is history.

Posted via Android Central App

People hated the MotoBlur that had a separate MotoBlur login. AFAIK, not all of them did. I think none of the DROIDs had them but I think most of the GSM Motorola Android phones (Charm, Backflip, Flipside, etc.).

MotoBlur on my DROID Bionic was fine.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
right, but google only owned motorola so they were the only phone manufacturer they could force it on.

Google had little say so I'm what Motorola did. They left Motorola alone, they may have consulted on the Moto X but that's it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
People hated the MotoBlur that had a separate MotoBlur login. AFAIK, not all of them did. I think none of the DROIDs had them but I think most of the GSM Motorola Android phones (Charm, Backflip, Flipside, etc.).

MotoBlur on my DROID Bionic was fine.

It want the login it was the skin itself. I remember fondly from my Engadget days people foaming at the mouth about the Motoblur skin.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
right, but google only owned motorola so they were the only phone manufacturer they could force it on.

They can't force any Android OEM to do anything like that.

Here's how I see it - Motorola adopted the stock Android experience with Google service + software features to differentiate their devices built on hardware that can support it as their version of Android. MicroSD is not part of the stock Android experience. AFAIK, phones there's extra development work that needs to happen on phones that support microSD plus a royalty to Microsoft.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
They can't force any Android OEM to do anything like that.
When they OWN the OEM, ya, they can.

And don't forget, Woodside was a Google guy, not a motorola guy. You saw how fast he jumped ship as soon as google announced the sale of motorola to lenovo.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When they OWN the OEM, ya, they can.

And don't forget, Woodside was a Google guy, not a motorola guy. You saw how fast he jumped ship as soon as google announced the sale of motorola to lenovo.

I hope you understand that neither of us can confirm what actually went down.

With the news that Google "rarely" got involved in Motorola's product decisions, I personally doubt that SD cards (and removeable batteries) were a Motorola decision, not Google's.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it were rare or not, but it was the case for the loss of the removable sd card

So are you stating that as fact or opinion?

Could you point me to where it's publically stated by Google told Motorola to not use SD cards in their new devices?

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Could you point me to where it's publically stated by Google told Motorola to not use SD cards in their new devices?
Lol at Google or Motorola ever publicly announcing that.

ya think Samsung is ever going to publicly announce how google strong armed them into toning touchwiz down and used Motorola as leverage? or google, do you think they will be issuing a press release about that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173