Moto X: Strange notification sound

Greg Mallis

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
So recently, over the past few days, my moto x has been making a weird sound (sort of like a gong or a bell) only while driving, and seemingly at random. There is no associated notification with the sound. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it might be the phone letting me know it found a bluetooth signal, so I turned off the bluetooth while in driving assist. It is really annoying, so any help identifying and stopping it would be greatly appreciated.
I just downloaded and installed a notification history app, so that might help give me some insight.

Last edited by a moderator:

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Strange notification sound

You don't have an app that alerts you when you are going faster then the speed limit do you?

Posted via Android Central App

Greg Mallis

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Strange notification sound

Nope, at least none that I know of. Would that be something I had to download, or would google maps be doing that?

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Weather storm alerts? First time it happened to me it surprised the heck out of me since I never really went about setting one up (turned out it was buried in a weather app)

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same thing happen to me. It started a couple weeks ago and I haven't added any different apps. I'm getting a ding dong sound that reminds me of a doorbell chime. It happens randomly at all times of the day and night. I've gone through all my apps to make sure there is no notification sounds checked that shouldn't be. Also, the chime that it makes isn't in my list of notification sounds. Could it be some update to one of the motorola services? It's getting to be annoying lately. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and found a solution.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Might check Emergency Alerts, located in Settings, More, at the the bottom of screen Emergency Alerts. Also, check in Settings, Sound, Emergency Tone, has Off, Alert and Vibrate, mine is set too Off. Could be your problem?

Like Take57 said, if you have a weather alert app., their notification sounds can be really buried and you have to look carefully to find the notification settings. I had one like that and drove me nuts before I found it and turned it off.

Last edited:

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Any chance it's a roaming alert? If your nearest tower goes wonky (yes I'm with Sprint so Often) you might get some kind of warning tone. If service pops back to normal the roaming notification would disappear.

HenryWiygul

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem a while ago. I could not figure it out! Turns out I was laying my phone down on library books with those anti-theft stickers in the covers. The NFC in my moto x was picking up on the sticker and making the gong sound. But there was no notification or anything to let me know what was going on.

mistophiles

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow that was it for me. Everytime I put the phone on my wallet I would hear this sound. I have a metro card that has an NFC chip and the X is trying to read it I suppose. Thank you!

EGO XVI

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X: Strange notification sound - NFC issue

Thanks! Turning off the NFC worked for me - just recently got a new case that has one of these magnets that was screwing the x out of my phone trying to read an NFC signal...

Ilya Shevchenko

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Turning off the NFC worked for me - just recently got a new case that has one of these magnets that was screwing the x out of my phone trying to read an NFC signal...

Thank you very much!!! That helped me. I bought a case with magnet an I also put my credit card there. Not sure which one was the messing source, but turning off NFC helped.

Akshay Nakhawa

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
So recently, over the past few days, my moto x has been making a weird sound (sort of like a gong or a bell) only while driving, and seemingly at random. There is no associated notification with the sound. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it might be the phone letting me know it found a bluetooth signal, so I turned off the bluetooth while in driving assist. It is really annoying, so any help identifying and stopping it would be greatly appreciated.
I just downloaded and installed a notification history app, so that might help give me some insight.

It is NFC trying to read data.
So go to settings > wireless and network > more > turn of ur automatic NFC option.

169646gjkdg

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same thing happen to me. It started a couple weeks ago and I haven't added any different apps. I'm getting a ding dong sound that reminds me of a doorbell chime. It happens randomly at all times of the day and night. I've gone through all my apps to make sure there is no notification sounds checked that shouldn't be. Also, the chime that it makes isn't in my list of notification sounds. Could it be some update to one of the motorola services? It's getting to be annoying lately. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and found a solution.

I've been having the same thing happen on my moto X. I'm getting a sound that is like I just picked up a token on an arcade game or a low battery sound, only no low battery. It has gotten old for me too. Please let me know if you got it figured out! Thanks!

Illugi Torfason

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks solved my problem. Had a student HID card which was obviously causing the nfc too trying to connect. I'll try to turn it off now.

I had this problem a while ago. I could not figure it out! Turns out I was laying my phone down on library books with those anti-theft stickers in the covers. The NFC in my moto x was picking up on the sticker and making the gong sound. But there was no notification or anything to let me know what was going on.