Moto X: Touchless control loads music but doesn't play

pyscho pop

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I say 'OK Google now, play music 'title''. It will understand and load the song but then has a popup saying could not prepare instant mix, please try again. And I have to press play manually, like a caveman! Any suggestions?

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Touchless control loads music but doesn't play.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I say 'OK Google now, play music 'title''. It will understand and load the song but then has a popup saying could not prepare instant mix, please try again. And I have to press play manually, like a caveman! Any suggestions?

Yes, it's a problem that I've posted about on this forum and others. It's evidently a widespread issue among Moto X owners. The source of the problem is the "instant mix" feature in Google Play Music. Initially, I was able (with the assistance of Motorola tech support) to solve the problem by uninstalling updates to Google Play Music -- in effect, restoring the version of Google Play Music that preceded the addition of the instant mix feature. But once the 4.4.2 update to KitKat installed, the problem with trying to use Touchless Control to play a song returned -- and neither uninstalling updates to Google Play Music, nor trying to replace Google Play Music with another music player app, nor anything else I've tried (including spending about an hour on the phone with two different Motorola tech support staffers) has cured it. The "Level 2" Motorola tech support person told me that "the developer is aware of the issue and is working on it," which suggests that we may not be able to use Touchless Control to play songs for some time yet. So unfortunately, unless someone else comes up with a fix and shares it, this function -- which I was really enjoying for about a month -- is not operational.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Are you actually saying "music" as part of the command? You don't need to. Just "OK Google Now. Play 'title.'"

pyscho pop

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Wow. Thanks for the answer. It's just frustrating because it seems this just starting happing within the last week. Before it would either play or give me a search result. I suppose their 'working on it' though.

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Mine doesn't work either. I get the blue box that says "choose how to play or buy" every time. Even if I choose how to play it still doesn't play. I have to tap the screen again to get it to play. Not quite hands free!

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Ya mine does the same it just takes me to this.
Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-22-07.png

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do is select play music when that screen comes up , its just prompting you for an action after that you should be fine and it will play also have a play list on my phone and all access

pyscho pop

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
If you click the arrow where it says Google play you can choose 'play music', but even with that setting mine will still not play unless I press play.

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
All you have to do is select play music when that screen comes up , its just prompting you for an action after that you should be fine and it will play also have a play list on my phone and all access
Tried that yesterday and it didn't work at all. Still took me to the choose action screen. Today it's working just fine.

Dee B2

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I cannot tell you why this worked. However, I installed 'Shuttle' mp3 player from play store, the free version. I created a playlist and called it AKB48, and filled it with akb48's songs. I exited the shuttle program. tried to get it to play through shuttle, but it did not work. THEN....I just said, ok google now play akb48, and it opened google's play music app and played the playlist that I created in shuttle. I have no idea how this worked. however, I created a few more playlists within the shuttle app, closed it, and tried again. Each play list winds up playing in google's play music app when requested by name. Bizarre, huh? But it worked!

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm pleased to report that Touchless Control is now properly playing songs when requested by title on my Moto X. Evidently, one of the updates to Google Play Music during the past few months resolved the problem that was being caused by the "Instant Mix" function. This may be old news to others with the Moto X, but I felt obliged to return to this forum and report that the problem has been fixed, since I had posted complaints about the issue. To whomever came up with the remedy, it's much appreciated. Now I enjoy my Moto X even more!