Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Iam completely stock 4.4.2 on my Verizon moto x. I am not used to seeing the OS usage so high. Is this normal? If not, does anyone have any ideas?I just have a few news apps, social networks, and Spotify etc etc. instaled, nothing that I have not had on all my other phones. This seems weird to me. What do you guys think?Screenshot_2014-03-10-21-55-05.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is my OS usage so high?

Does the device sit idle a lot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it sits unused most of the day while I'm at work. Is that all out is?

Posted via Android Central App

Yes. Something always accounts for drain. The more a device sits idle, the more the OS is going to be the battery consumer. Play a game for 10 minutes and watch it change.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Try deleting and disabling chrome, and use cm secure browser. Also get rid of the Facebook app. I did that last night and my android is went down

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes. Something always accounts for drain. The more a device sits idle, the more the OS is going to be the battery consumer. Play a game for 10 minutes and watch it change.

I've got the same observation/comment/question regarding that for you as well. Now, I am an experienced android person but honestly have never heard of that before. For example, When i got to work this morning at 7, my battery was of course 100% charged. I looked at it a few times during the day (not many at all) and my mid day or so, I looked at my battery percentage, and I was down to aboutu 50% And furthermore, my battery stats showed that my Android OS was also taking up about 47% battery and just can't figure out why.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Understand that you are looking at a percentage of the power drain. So of the power used, OS used 34%. As mentioned above play a game and you will see those ratios change. Many people look at this as an amount of power used not a percentage, and that causes confusion

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Understand that you are looking at a percentage of the power drain. So of the power used, OS used 34%. As mentioned above play a game and you will see those ratios change. Many people look at this as an amount of power used not a percentage, and that causes confusion
Right and i understand that 47% of the power of the battery is used by the OS, however that shouldn't even be the case when I'm barely using the phone all day long though correct? I'm curious about this...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Take mine for example. Of the 32% drained, 29% of that is the OS. To put it another way, roughly 10% of the total drain is my OS.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Attachments

• 1394577970864.jpg
    1394577970864.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 68

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the response, I played a game and it dropped. Guess I just used my phone less the last couple of days. Lol. Sorry for the silly question

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Take mine for example. Of the 32% drained, 29% of that is the OS. To put it another way, roughly 10% of the total drain is my OS.

Right, however all i'm saying is that at work, when i'm barely using my phone, my Android OS shouldn't be skyrocketing vs. other days when both my Display usage, and my Android OS usage are at 10% battery. Another person on this thread said that by playing a game should remedy this somehow...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the response, I played a game and it dropped. Guess I just used my phone less the last couple of days. Lol. Sorry for the silly question

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Try deleting and disabling chrome, and use cm secure browser. Also get rid of the Facebook app. I did that last night and my android is went down

I meant my android OS went from 30% to 5% after I deleted and disable chrome and Facebook from my moto x.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

wait so now i'm confused a little bit..the more your phone goes idle the more battery drain we'll experience? Vs playing with it moreso and we will see less battery drain? lol am i understanding this correctly?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

wait so now i'm confused a little bit..the more your phone goes idle the more battery drain we'll experience? Vs playing with it moreso and we will see less battery drain? lol am i understanding this correctly?

No, but when your phone is sitting idle, it isn't doing much so what little drain you DO have is mostly from the OS because not much else is going on at that time.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

No, but when your phone is sitting idle, it isn't doing much so what little drain you DO have is mostly from the OS because not much else is going on at that time.

well see now that makes sense. so , again, how do we remedy this high Android OS battery issue or just have the battery last longer per charge?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

well see now that makes sense. so , again, how do we remedy this high Android OS battery issue or just have the battery last longer per charge?

Your phones charge will always drain. The battery stats is just what is counting it. When your phone sits idle the OS will drain it. When you are using your phone, something else will, most likely the screen, and any app that refreshes a lot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad