Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I thought it shows he used 30% of 60% of the battery used so android os actually used 20% give or take alittle right?

Posted via Android Central App

i'm telling you sometimes reading these battery stats is the most confusing thing in the world...

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
yes today it was phenomenal.. Yesterday for some odd reason was a different tale ..Explain to me how you get that reading from that screen shot though again please. as far as the difference of what changed, i didn't change anything which , as i've mentioned, is the weirdest thing about it..all i can say right now is oh well, i love my phone so oh well...

Okay. 85% of the battery capacity is left after about 8 hours and 40 minutes off the charger. That means it used 15% of the battery capacity in 8 2/3rds hours. Roughly, that's less than 2% battery usage per hour. That tells me that during that 8 hours you, generally, likely had a good phone signal (near one or more towers) and didn't use your phone for much. At that rate, you wouldn't have to recharge your phone for over two days. I can't see anything to complain about there. There are so many factors that will use up battery charge at a quicker rate that there's no easy way to point at one thing that pointing at one metric and saying it's the culprit. The day before you may have used your phone more or were in a location that had worse reception or maybe had an app that was doing something that kept the phone at a higher clock rate (e.g. busy). No way to tell without getting far more detailed information than these screens show.

I am not an Android engineer -- heck, I'm not even an Android programmer -- so I don't know that my analysis is right. However, I do know that the operating system (OS, or in this case Android OS) is always running! It only stops when you power the phone all the way off.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay. 85% of the battery capacity is left after about 8 hours and 40 minutes off the charger. That means it used 15% of the battery capacity in 8 2/3rds hours. Roughly, that's less than 2% battery usage per hour. That tells me that during that 8 hours you, generally, likely had a good phone signal (near one or more towers) and didn't use your phone for much. At that rate, you wouldn't have to recharge your phone for over two days. I can't see anything to complain about there. There are so many factors that will use up battery charge at a quicker rate that there's no easy way to point at one thing that pointing at one metric and saying it's the culprit. The day before you may have used your phone more or were in a location that had worse reception or maybe had an app that was doing something that kept the phone at a higher clock rate (e.g. busy). No way to tell without getting far more detailed information than these screens show.

I am not an Android engineer -- heck, I'm not even an Android programmer -- so I don't know that my analysis is right. However, I do know that the operating system (OS, or in this case Android OS) is always running! It only stops when you power the phone all the way off.

Oh absolutely and i completely agree with you. I love my phone and the battery and the very clear speaker on the back as well. It was necessarily a complaint, but rather more of an observation of course. That explanation does help, and I had a funny feeling about it, it's just a different way of viewing how to analyze the battery used up on y our phone .. that's' all. Yeah, Usually I'm close to multiple towers, and at work, I don't use my phone as much as i used to. I do use Bluetooth a bit but still that doesn't affect the battery nearly as much. Thanks for your assistance!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that when I have several notification waiting for me to few them through the active notifications, after I go to . Check the notifications, at that point my battery will say 50% usage coming from Android OS... Does that mean the active notifications are what is draining my battery? Doesn't make sense. That's supposed to save tons of battery power.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The 50% all depends where your battery level is. If your battery is still up high like 90% then 50% would be 5% actual battery used. but if its 50% when your battery is low then you would have a issue.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that when I have several notification waiting for me to few them through the active notifications, after I go to . Check the notifications, at that point my battery will say 50% usage coming from Android OS... Does that mean the active notifications are what is draining my battery? Doesn't make sense. That's supposed to save tons of battery power.

If I've interpreted correctly what I've read about Active Notifications, there is going to be some OS "awake" function going on all the time, otherwise it wouldn't be 1)providing you with the notices on the screen; and 2) listening for your "OK Google Now" prompt.

Yes, AN is supposed to save battery, but relative to what? I'd say it saves it relative to other phones that don't have the dedicated processors for those sensing/notification functions, like the X does. There are apps coming out that imitate AN for other phones, but they likely require the more power-hungry processers on those phones to run them. Or that require you to actively awaken them (hence powering up the main CPUs) to find out what the notifications are about. I may be misinterpreting the capabilities of some of these other imitation-AN apps, so anybody who knows differently please correct me.

But AN and Touchless Controls are still going to use battery no matter what, and that likely involves some OS processes.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Haha yeah no i gotcha about that. I don't know, I guess I just find it weird that's all. Its weird, because there are some days when I get a lot of notifications via active notifications and my battery doesn't drain as much. However, today and yesterday and dreamed about the same right but I was at the factor because other day they have amazing battery power that last for a solid day. Oh well....

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My Android OS usage is still high, in the high 40% to low 50% but now it seems like I can actually get a full day out of the battery. Haven't changed my usage, just some apps doing updates. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Resurrecting this post because my phone is now going through the same issue. It's been happening for a few weeks now give or take a few days. Screenshot_2015-06-26-01-57-30.pngScreenshot_2015-06-26-01-57-45.pngScreenshot_2015-06-26-01-57-49.png

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Tap on the battery graph (the part in the top of your first screenshot), and you'll then get a screen that shows more details (mobile network signal, GPS on, wifi status, awake time and so on).

Take a screenshot of that and post it here, it should give enough extra info to allow someone to point you in the right direction.

Cushastri

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I am too facing the same problem. I use moto g 2gen. Dual sim. My usage is minimal but signal strength is not that great. My mobile battery drains from 100 to 10 within 8 hrs. Android OS usage is huge nearly 60 %. Please let me know any solution. I use OS 5.0.2
Screenshot_2015-07-28-23-16-29.png
Screenshot_2015-07-28-23-16-35.png

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX