Anyone else trying ART?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided a couple of days ago that it was time to switch from Dalvik to ART.

So far, after about two days of runtime, I can say that everything I am running (including TouchDown and MobileIron for corporate email) is running absolutely flawlessly. The phone overall feels just a teensy bit faster in some places, and impressively faster in others. Apps just... start. Tap the icon, boom, running. Not that the delays were ever that noticeable - I've never had the slightest complaint about lag or delays on this phone. It's little subtle differences in start times on stuff, 1/10th second down to 1/20th, that sort of thing.

Apps do take significantly longer to upgrade/install from the playstore (and presumably other sources) due to the need to compile them. It does appear to have cost me a little bit of storage space (expected because compiled code is being stored).

Battery life feels about the same. If there's a difference, it's more subtle than I can detect but I don't track it terribly closely.

Anyone else out there take the plunge? What do you think?

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it twice. First time I had an issue with posting pictures to Facebook. That was fixed so I tried it again but then I had problems with two other apps (can't remember which ones), so I'm back to Dalvik and will probably wait until ART is officially rolled out. I didn't notice any significant difference in app loading/operation or battery life ART vs. Dalvik to warrant a permanent switch at this time.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it twice. First time I had an issue with posting pictures to Facebook. That was fixed so I tried it again but then I had problems with two other apps (can't remember which ones), so I'm back to Dalvik and will probably wait until ART is officially rolled out. I didn't notice any significant difference in app loading/operation or battery life ART vs. Dalvik to warrant a permanent switch at this time.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't classify the load time differences as "significant". It's a slight increase in "snappiness". Extremely subtle except in the largest apps like Ingress, GasBuddy, Sensorly, G+, and a few others.

The Facebook Android app started asking for too many permissions, so I disabled it and use the mobile site now. Thanks for the report on that if I ever decide to go back to using it.

AndroidDev01 said:
Wish I could try but it is not on Nexus 10 for some reason. Nether is the awesome system bars.

Yeah, it's not on my Nexus 7 (2012) either. I wanted to try it there first, but oh well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12