Jawbone up 24 and Moto X

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I had been thinking of getting something like this for some time now; my wife uses a Nike fuel band with her iPhone and once I saw this story posted on android central the other day saying up 24 is now compatible with android I figured wth. Their website confirms the Moto X is compatible so I went ahead and ordered one and it just arrived.

After setting it up, I'm kind of disappointed in the Bluetooth connectivity of the up 24 band. I was hoping to use it as a trusted device but something curious is going on. The up app is properly set up and shows the band is connected and is syncing (I have a persistent notification) but the system Bluetooth settings of the phone doesn't even recognize the device in the list. My Bluetooth icon is dark in the status bar indicating nothing connected.

Anyone else pick one of these up? Any advice or info regarding future compatibility advancements? Thank you

-Moto X-

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Jawbone up 24 and moto X

My understanding (from prior forum posts) is that these bands have a very small battery and don't maintain a continuous Bluetooth connection which is required for the Trusted Bluetooth functionality on the Moto X.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Jawbone up 24 and moto X

My understanding (from prior forum posts) is that these bands have a very small battery and don't maintain a continuous Bluetooth connection which is required for the Trusted Bluetooth functionality on the Moto X.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I should have done a bit more research on the trusted Bluetooth front first, but I think I'm still going to like the band/app. Time for this guy to stop being lazy!

-Moto X-

Swasy

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd love for you to let us know how it works. I live my moto x, and have been waiting for the up 24 to work with it. Syncing, data, band comfortability, and I'm very interested in the smart alarm feature. Lemme know how well the one works. Thanks!!

Posted via Android Central App

ONLYuseBB10

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i also consider pickung up a wearable by jawbone. is the up24 different from the normal up or is it just the next generation?

Give me a mountain, I'll climb it. Give me a Katy Perry song, I'll sing it.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd love for you to let us know how it works. I live my moto x, and have been waiting for the up 24 to work with it. Syncing, data, band comfortability, and I'm very interested in the smart alarm feature. Lemme know how well the one works. Thanks!!

Posted via Android Central App

i also consider pickung up a wearable by jawbone. is the up24 different from the normal up or is it just the next generation?

Give me a mountain, I'll climb it. Give me a Katy Perry song, I'll sing it.

Let us know how you like it in a week or so. I've been considering the UP 24 also.

OK well, spent a few days with it so here goes. I'll try to not make this massive, but I'm expecting this to be a bit long winded

This is the up 24, the second iteration in the series with the original being a wired sync band that connected to headphone jacks. The up 24 syncs via blue tooth to my moto x, although it's through the app, not the system. So my bt is on but the system doesn't show anything connected. I have a persistent notification from the up app.

The band itself is very delightful. It is soft touch almost rubber feeling. I feel wary of bending it too much, as is not recommended, so I've been handling with care when taking it on/off. It is flexible and very, very comfortable. I'd also argue stylish but that's subjective. It doesn't have a screen to show any info, all the meat of the content is done through the app save for toggling sleep mode or starting a workout timer or power nap on the band itself via its sole button, through a combination of clicks and long clicks. There's 2 lights as far as I can tell, a sun and a moon that glow green depending on what mode the band is in and what series the buttons are pressed. The band also has a cap that snaps off revealing the plug for use with a supplied cable for charging. The band is water resistant so I've showered with it, although it makes me nervous lol. Just not submergible. It also has a vibration motor and it's surprisingly hard-core. One can set it to buzz when you've been 'sedentary' for too long and it really gives you a jolt! This is also used for alarms and in my opinion can be a bit jarring, especially considering you've just woken up and have to find and press the button to dismiss it!

The app is a little bit of a different game. It's very hot and cold. The Android geek in me is irked by the blatant ios port feel of the whole ui but I digress. It's an easy to learn app and all the features you require are easily reached with visual queues providing enough help to reach all the features the app offers. I ran into a few issues however. The up app did a few things to my phone, in particular it's battery, that were very dissatisfsctorry, all while using advertised features as intended. For instance, setting up update notifications for the step counter delivered a notification to my moto x then kept the poor thing awake. Big hit to battery life. After stopping the app and disabling this feature, normality resumed. Again, I attempted to use the smart alarm feature. This also kept my phone awake constantly and sapped the hell out of my battery (15% idle drain in 2 hours) so i disabled this feature as well. Its not all bad, though, just needs a bit of policing. It's very enjoyable to log a workout and set all the specifications, or enter your meals via Barcode scanner or using the extensive database of foods available for selecting. The app is very feature rich and provides extensive details on the topics it provides.

Overall, it's very cool using the band and app. I'm told the app will begin giving me suggestions and goals to strive for after a little while (haven't gotten those yet). Overall I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to spending time with the system. I work in a kitchen and I was delighted to see my step counter soar above the 'recommended' 10000 steps. I may still be in the honeymoon period but I'm happy with the up 24.

-Nexus 10-