Awaiting arrival of new Moto X - Motorola customer support

CavScout87

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello all - brand new member here - and thought I'd share my Motorola customer service story, as well as get some tips, tricks and advice as I await arrival of my new Moto X.

My faithful Razr Maxx - that I grandfathered on Verizon with UDP over 18 months ago recently had it's screen died for no reason and very suddenly. I was always pretty happy with it's performance and it got heavy use. The phone prior, a Droid 2 (R2D2 version) always worked well also, which is why I stuck with Moto. (Plus, the various other Moto devices I've owned over the years always being pretty bulletproof.... going back to the yellow contractors version of the old Nextel moto phone which is still in a box somewhere and would probably work if I pulled it out now....)

I say that, as I finally got sick of paying Verizon's insurance figuring I always had good ol' R2 to use as backup. Sadly, actually using R2 after over 18 months on the Maxx - well, it hasn't been as fun as I remembered LOL

So, being far out of warranty and not having insurance, I decided to go to Moto's website and see about getting the Maxx repaired, as with all the new phone announcements recently and soon to come, I really didn't know what I wanted this time around. (I knew I wanted a bigger display - and am seriously considering a "phablet".) And thanks to the community in advance for all the tips I've found here to help insure I keep my UDP on Verizon! ;)

Sorry for getting long winded - I'll try to wrap up. (I can type and am at a keyboard - a dangerous combination - sorry in advance!) I talked to customer service via chat and phone, estimate for phone repair was about 100 - 125 bucks, they emailed a mailing label, and I shipped them the phone. I was told 3 or 4 day turn around in most cases, and they'd email with a final estimate once they got the phone checked out, and I'd authorize and pay via credit card if I approved...

They got the phone on March 5th. Yesterday the 14th, I couldn't take it anymore waiting for an update, and logged back into Moto for a quick chat to see what was up. (I would've called sooner, but was frankly waiting for a pay day to call them on figuring I'd have to pay immediately....) Website chat said I'd have to escalate to the Repair Escalation Team, but I had to call the customer service number and request it.... so I did, and after them looking up my case and verifying they still had my repair, I was transferred to the Escalation Team, and after a brief conversation and a couple minutes on hold to try to verify the status of my Maxx - the rep got back on, apologized for the delay and admitted I should have had my phone by now.

She then said she'd normally just send me a replacement phone, but as my Maxx is no longer made, and they had no refurbished units, the best she could offer to do was send me a new Moto X. (Which I should have on Monday if FedEx's tracking is correct - they shipped it out that quickly.)

I readily agreed that was acceptable, as I knew it was a newer Moto phone, but it honestly wasn't on my upgrade radar, as I was really leaning towards a product like a Note 3. (Doing lots of email and web-surfing online with my phone, and really wanted a bigger screen.) It also gets me out of having to worry about a "trick" to upgrade my phone in a couple months, while keeping my UDP.

Now that I reflect, and prior to getting my new X, I wonder if I should have balked more. I will miss the monster battery on my Maxx, as well as the expandable memory. (That in reality, I didn't use much of.) Battery wise tho, I abused it daily. (Work 10 hours a day, and waste a lot of time reading the news, emailing, texting, etc.....) Biggest problem I had with ol' R2 was replacing the battery often - it can not make it thru an 8 hour day the way I use it without charging or swapping batteries. I don't walk around with gigs of music, and rarely play games often, so the expandable memory isn't as big an issue. My biggest problem is never deleting a picture I've taken, but I do download to my computer often or as needed.... and I never had to on the Maxx, as it had 18 months of pictures on it when it died. I was able to rescue most everything off it before I sent it for repair, as I could still hook it up to my computer and download it's contents even with the screen dead.

I assume they're sending me the 16 gig MX version....

By what I am reading however about the MX, I think the battery ought to suit my purposes (as long as it doesn't have to be replaced for the duration of the product's life) and think I can easily work around any memory issues. I appreciate the lack of "bloat" and the more basic, but still enhanced, android experience I've read about as well as finally getting on KitKat. I definitely look forward to the added screen real estate!

(((phew!)))

With all that said, and based on your experiences with the MX - do you think I agreed too easily to Motorola's resolution? Should I have "held out for more" so to say?

My knee-jerk reaction was that they were being very fair offering a new phone and acted promptly to take care of this problem. Did I mention... for free? I thought I'd have to pay for the repair estimate at least, and tho I had my credit card out, they never mentioned payment, admitting something got screwed up on their end for it getting held up in their process. They could have easily said they'd repair my Maxx and have it back to me next week... what's your credit card number? We'll waive expedited shipping as an apology LOL so I think Moto did right by me and even with the recent change in corporate ownership.

I eagerly await the arrival of FedEx on Monday and playing with my new "toy". :D
As well as maximizing its use thru the use of this forum. Your advice and insight is appreciated.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you should have complained anymore. You're getting a 2 year old phone replaced with motos current flagship for absolutely free. Most companies would have not done that...I love my X (used to have a RAZR too), I think you'll love it too. Performance is about 10x better and although the X is no MAXX, the battery last me all day and I consider myself a heavy user.

Posted via Android Central App - Moto X

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Just a fair warning the battery will absolutely suck the first two weeks. Took mine about that long to settle in. Longer then most phones I've owned oddly

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I hope you like the new MX. It has been a great phone for me so far. I love the driving mode, assist, active display and touchless controls the best. However, if you don't like then you can always pawn it for more than your old phone. Either way, I think you got a win.

Posted via Android Central App

CavScout87

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Just a fair warning the battery will absolutely suck the first two weeks. Took mine about that long to settle in. Longer then most phones I've owned oddly

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I hadn't known that about the batteries.... thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you like the new MX. It has been a great phone for me so far. I love the driving mode, assist, active display and touchless controls the best. However, if you don't like then you can always pawn it for more than your old phone. Either way, I think you got a win.

Duh - I hadn't even thought of selling it if it just didn't suit me, but the more I learn about these, the more I think we'll get along fine ;)

CavScout87

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
OMG I am so excited.... FedEx just got here, and I opened the box to see what I got, and the first thing I thought was "oh they sent me a white phone...." and then as I look it over it's a developer's edition! WAY COOL! I think they've earned my business the next time I need to upgrade. (This may be premature, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt as I think they've gone above and beyond at this point.)

It's plugged in and charging. (Shipped with 97% battery, but figured I'd give it time to charge as I look up the proper way to activate it on Verizon's website..... hope the sim fits from the RMaxx or a trip to Verizon is the first stop of St. Patrick's Day lol)

CavScout87

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
SIM was different (as I'm sure many of you know) and activation was a bit of a chore requiring a phone call to Verizon. After all of that, finally online with UDP intact and downloading a ton of updates, contacts, etc etc....

Let the fun begin! :)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It should have a new micro sim included already in it, at least mine did when I bought mine. If you had thought about it at the time you probably could have asked for the Droid Maxx instead of the X, but maybe they weren't willing to do that deal with the more expensive phone. It would have given you the bigger battery and a slightly larger screen. Hope you like your X though :)

CavScout87

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It should have a new micro sim included already in it, at least mine did when I bought mine. If you had thought about it at the time you probably could have asked for the Droid Maxx instead of the X, but maybe they weren't willing to do that deal with the more expensive phone. It would have given you the bigger battery and a slightly larger screen. Hope you like your X though :)

That's what I was thinking.... should I have balked and asked for different?
But that was just in hindsight. I am happy with the X so far. As others have said, I like the way it feels in my hand, but will be getting something to protect it soon. Always purchased the desk / computer mount too.... just so I could plug it in on my night stand and use it as an alarm clock. (Always liked that feature with my D2 and RM) so have to find out if one is available for the MX.

Being so much newer, it is smoking poor ol' R2D2 out of the box LOL and it's been so long (it seems) since I last used my Maxx, I really can't complain about the way the X is performing so far. Countless updates one right after the other to include bringing it up to KitKat tho (fun wow) but at least all my contacts are there. I was used to having Facebook installed and having all my contacts pictures in the addy book but haven't installed that yet.

But so far, I think I did good getting the DE 32gb X as long as the battery lasts me thru the day at work. Time will tell....
Playing with the camera for a min and I like the simple and easy controls. I know the phone isn't known as having a great camera, but after just using poor R2? This camera rocks LOL

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was thinking.... should I have balked and asked for different?
But that was just in hindsight. I am happy with the X so far. As others have said, I like the way it feels in my hand, but will be getting something to protect it soon. Always purchased the desk / computer mount too.... just so I could plug it in on my night stand and use it as an alarm clock. (Always liked that feature with my D2 and RM) so have to find out if one is available for the MX.

Being so much newer, it is smoking poor ol' R2D2 out of the box LOL and it's been so long (it seems) since I last used my Maxx, I really can't complain about the way the X is performing so far. Countless updates one right after the other to include bringing it up to KitKat tho (fun wow) but at least all my contacts are there. I was used to having Facebook installed and having all my contacts pictures in the addy book but haven't installed that yet.

But so far, I think I did good getting the DE 32gb X as long as the battery lasts me thru the day at work. Time will tell....
Playing with the camera for a min and I like the simple and easy controls. I know the phone isn't known as having a great camera, but after just using poor R2? This camera rocks LOL

Try out driving mode and "okay Google now wazzup"

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm content with my Dev edition but I also would enjoy the bigger battery of the maxx

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463