Moto X OS Mobile Data Usage

lostnd80s

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Has anyone else experienced high mobile OS data usage on the Moto X?

This month, under "Android OS", I see:

Mobile Foreground: 0.00 B
Mobile Background: 1.06 GB
WiFi Foreground: 0.00 B
WiFi Background: 116 MB

I did get this 4.4.2 patch during this cycle, but shouldnt that download only on WIFI? I also have Google Play updates set to download only on WiFi as well...

Any ideas? Thanks!
-J

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have data backup on or Google+ backup on? Do you sync a lot of profiles? What about location services? I'm no expert, but just throwing out ideas to check..

An update would not need that much data. Why would no foreground data be reported? Seems odd to me..

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Has anyone else experienced high mobile OS data usage on the Moto X?

This month, under "Android OS", I see:

Mobile Foreground: 0.00 B
Mobile Background: 1.06 GB
WiFi Foreground: 0.00 B
WiFi Background: 116 MB

I did get this 4.4.2 patch during this cycle, but shouldnt that download only on WIFI? I also have Google Play updates set to download only on WiFi as well...

Any ideas? Thanks!
-J

I'm in the same boat right now and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I have Google Play updates set for WiFi only and Google+ backup set to WiFi only. My wife also has the Moto X on the same network (At&t) and she is not having this issue.

I looked up my usage online and my phone is using large chunks of data at random times (midnight, 3am, 6am, etc) when my phone is plugged in and I'm sleeping. At the moment, I do have WiFi at home but next to my bed the phone is on the edge of getting signal. All of the used data is from background processes on Android OS.

Any ideas on what might be using up all my data?

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it's syncing every 3 hours? Facebook? Check your sync settings in your various apps. I have most of mine set to sync manually.

Last edited:

gopcs

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed high data usage on my wife's Moto X.

This month Upgraded her phone from Motorola Atrix 3G to Moto X 4G LTE. Data usage has gone from 200MB per month to over 800MB this month. The phone reports 284MB used this period, and ATT bill shows over 850MB for same period. The ATT data detail reports data usage every morning at about 1:30am of 20 to 30MB. This may be Google backup?? If so, wouldn't this be included in the phone's data records as well as ATT? I was expect ending ATT report and phone's internal record to be similar, as they were on the Atrix.

For now, I'm putting the phone on wifi while at home, and watching data usage as reported at ATT.