Reconfirmed - Moto X is best phone of the year

yscty

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

After only having this phone 2 weeks I'm not surprised one bit, easily the best phone I've had.. .

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I actually saw that on Google+ yesterday. I thought that it was interesting, but it is hard to argue with. I think that it is telling that the phone isn't spec'd out like all of the other smartphones that hit the market in 2013. Who would have thought that a phone with a 4.7 inch 720p screen, with a slightly slower processor and a questionable camera would be the best smartphone for the year? But like I said, it would be hard to argue that it isn't. It I didn't have the Nexus 5, I would have definitely gone with the Moto X.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I actually saw that on Google+ yesterday. I thought that it was interesting, but it is hard to argue with. I think that it is telling that the phone isn't spec'd out like all of the other smartphones that hit the market in 2013. Who would have thought that a phone with a 4.7 inch 720p screen, with a slightly slower processor and a questionable camera would be the best smartphone for the year? But like I said, it would be hard to argue that it isn't. It I didn't have the Nexus 5, I would have definitely gone with the Moto X.

I think it is telling too that Roku refreshed their entire line last year and yet the home theather gadget of the year is a $35 dongle that you can't even use by itself. We have gotten to the point in a lot of tech where the most powerful is not always the best. You can sacrafice power and more than make up for it with an elegant user experience and have a better product.

Semantics

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site

So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I think it is telling too that Roku refreshed their entire line last year and yet the home theather gadget of the year is a $35 dongle that you can't even use by itself. We have gotten to the point in a lot of tech where the most powerful is not always the best. You can sacrafice power and more than make up for it with an elegant user experience and have a better product.

You know something, I completely agree it's not a speck race with the Moto X chromecast. You're right it's all about the user experience of the end of the day with the custom Motorola X 8 CPU and kit Kat fresh your Android without any user interface over the operating system it just runs extremely clean and it's great

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

Of course there are going to be people who think differently with the staff at Engadget. But I do think that it is noteworthy that the Moto X was the smartphone they chose. And it is particularly interesting why they chose it. When it comes to Android, specs have been what consumers focused on. But with the Moto X, that wasn't the intention. It was user experience and they hit a homerun. I also thought it showed that manufacturers don't have to continue to oversize smartphones to have a hit. Not only that, it also shows how great performance could be if manufacturers scaled back on their skins.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Of course there are going to be people who think differently with the staff at Engadget. But I do think that it is noteworthy that the Moto X was the smartphone they chose. And it is particularly interesting why they chose it. When it comes to Android, specs have been what consumers focused on. But with the Moto X, that wasn't the intention. It was user experience and they hit a homerun. I also thought it showed that manufacturers don't have to continue to oversize smartphones to have a hit. Not only that, it also shows how great performance could be if manufacturers scaled back on their skins.

You're so totally right, with every Android device that comes out it suspects race to see who finishes the fastest typist. But the Moto X proves that you don't need high spec and high horsepower to win the race until about those fast smooth user experience

lmf1030

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

This clearly shows that Motorola or Google got it right. While the other brands don't have a clue.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

This clearly shows that Motorola or Google got it right. While the other brands don't have a clue.

"don't have a clue."
That's a bit extreme. I am not knocking the moto x but there are other fantastic choices out there. And some people have needs outside the moto x.

ಠ益ಠ

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

That's an interesting pair of comparisons. I considered both of those gadgets. I decided against the G2 because it was too large to hold comfortably (for me) and against the Nexus for a variety of reasons. But one aspect I cared a lot about was battery life, and I understood that the Nexus had significantly worse battery life than the Moto X, and the LG G2 had significantly better battery life. Is that what you found? Or was I misinformed?

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.

The interesting thing is that the other Android phones that are being sold on the market aren't bad phones of course the most people don't need that high end of specs that they won't use such as high powered CPUs so much RAM etc cetera. The reason why the Model s is a successful is it a software acceleration inside of it and the stock clean vanilla Android software I had samsung galaxy s3 when it first launched in the United States with Verizon Wireless, and within about a month or so I realize that the battery life stunk on it and I hated TouchWiz.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Exactly--people have different needs and priorities, and there's no one device that's best for everybody. Of the three phones I was considering before deciding on the X, the G2 was one of them, and I still think it's a great smartphone (N5 wasn't an option for us VZW users). That said, I hope that Lenovo's direction for Motorola doesn't take it into the spec wars that the two top Korean makers (and maybe Sony) seem to want to stoke with their leapfrogging screen resolutions and number of features that many of us would never end up using.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered a custom Moto X and I'm hoping it will definitely replace my iPhone 5S.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

...That said, I hope that Lenovo's direction for Motorola doesn't take it into the spec wars that the two top Korean makers (and maybe Sony) seem to want to stoke with their leapfrogging screen resolutions and number of features that many of us would never end up using.

I too hope that Motorola stays on its current track following the acquisition. In my earlier post I refrained from using the word "gimmicky", but I think it applies to a lot phones currently on the market. To me, a gimmicky feature is one that you never/rarely use, but probably sounded/looked great in a marketing brochure or demo. I'm sure I could name such features on most current phone models if I were more familiar with them, and I'm sure there are people who consider Active Display or Touchless Controls to be gimmicky, but for me that's not the ase - I use them every day. I'm just happy that Motorola is the one that addressed my part of the market - I've never been disappointed with a Motorola phone, and have never been truly satisfied with one from another manufacturer.

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

I wonder how it handles the heavy games..
I'm very excited about Moto X cuz i recently ordered one and will be recieving it within 3 4 days! :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Care to elaborate?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000