Moto X: Use included T-Mobile SIM on $30 plan? (GSM Unlocked Model)

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a T-Mobile SIM. Can that be activated online with the $30 plan?

I hear the prepaid and postpaid SIM cards on T-Mobile are different somehow, even before activation. I would hope the "Unlocked" model comes with a prepaid SIM but don't want to assume. The kit in Walmart stores appear to be micro (3FF) rather than nano (4FF) size.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

ch88xy

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Even if it doesn't work, you can go to Walmart and purchase a cheap phone that can use this plan (I bought one for less than $30), and use the sim inside to register. That's what I did for my Nokia phone.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
OP is looking for confirmation that this plan would be available -
$30 - 100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
Ry is correct. That's the plan I have on my Nexus 4 and want to do likewise on my Moto X when it arrives.

When I ordered my N4 from the Play Store, I also ordered a Tmo prepaid sim online. Once they both arrived, I activated on T-Moble.com. Easy peasy.
Since the Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a Tmo sim, I'm trying to find out if that will work for what I want, or if I need to order one that will.

Thanks! :D

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ry is correct. That's the plan I have on my Nexus 4 and want to do likewise on my Moto X when it arrives.

When I ordered my N4 from the Play Store, I also ordered a Tmo prepaid sim online. Once they both arrived, I activated on T-Moble.com. Easy peasy.
Since the Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a Tmo sim, I'm trying to find out if that will work for what I want, or if I need to order one that will.

Thanks! :D

It will work. I switched from an iPhone 4 to the Moto X and just called t-mobile and told them I got a new phone and they moved my plan and service to the moto x SIM.

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No. I already had the plan. I activated a SIM I bought at target for the iPhone 4. When I got the moto x it had a SIM installed so I called T-Mobile and told them I got a new phone and gave them the info.

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm confused. How do you know if it will work if you haven't done it?
Are you trying to set up a new number or transfer your existing service from the Nexus 4 to the Moto X? If you are simply going to transfer your current phone number to the Moto X SIM it's very simple. Just call t-mobile and give them the IMEI number etc.
If you want to activate a new phone number then you would need the SIM activation kit - I bought two micro sim from Target and activated both online with the $30 plan. Or you could get a nano sim kit from tmobile online and activate that. I have read that you could buy an activation kit from a retail box store and then use that to activate the nano sim in the moto x or iPhone but I have not tried that myself.
Hope that helps.