Moto X: Stock keyboard not autocorrecting.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a Moto X problem or a Kitkat problem. I have a Verizon Moto X on 4.4.2 and I have noticed that recently (not sure of the exact timeframe) the stock Google keyboard just stopped autocorrecting. Any ideas? I've checked all the setting and when I go back and touch on a word it always suggests the correct word it just doesn't autocorrect anymore. It's really annoying as I am a horrible typer on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stock keyboard not autocorrecting.

Welcome to Android Central! I have a Nexus 5, but the Google Keyboard settings shouldn't differ--so go to Settings>Language & input, and tap the settings icon next to Google Keyboard. Then tap Auto-correction. I get 4 settings for it--Off, Modest, Aggressive, and Very Aggressive. If you see those settings, make sure it's set to Aggressive or Very Aggressive.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for the reply. When I first started noting the problem I changed the setting from moderate to aggressive and so far it has not helped any. I'll change it to very aggressive and then restart my phone and see what happens.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the reply. When I first started noting the problem I changed the setting from moderate to aggressive and so far it has not helped any. I'll change it to very aggressive and then restart my phone and see what happens.

Make sure the Show Correction Suggestions is on too, if you want to see suggestions.

Recently I accidentally changed a setting on the phone ("Developer Edition, Force RTL") which reversed the screen and drove me crazy for a few mintues until I finally figured it out.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Changing the setting to Very Aggressive seems to have done the trick. Not sure why it didn't autocorrect anything at all with the other two settings but I'm glad it is working now. It was very frustrating. Thanks again for the help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, try this. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Keyboard, and Clear Cache and Clear Data. This will probably erase any personal dictionary you have, but maybe it'll reset things enough that the autocorrect will start working.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Thank you. I will give this a try. I rebooted my phone last night again and it is working again so far. Not sure what is going on but I will do as you suggest as it sure couldn't hurt.