Anyone reboot today?

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I like them both, actually, but wouldn't it be nifty if the phone had a boot option menu?

Sent from some Android device or another using the AC Forums app.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I like them both, actually, but wouldn't it be nifty if the phone had a boot option menu?

I'm with ya...I'd love to select it. altho it really doesnt matter to phone operation. To have the option what we see when we reboot the phone would be neat.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's cool that they can change the boot animation like this.I'm looking forward to see what they come up with next.I haven't rebooted yet to see the "world animation" again yet :)

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe a silly Q, but, what does updating the boot services app through the play store matter or actually do, when Moto can just update the boot animation from the server side regardless?

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a silly Q, but, what does updating the boot services app through the play store matter or actually do, when Moto can just update the boot animation from the server side regardless?
They can't update the boot animation server-side. Your phone has no network connection until it's booted up (unless there's a secret backdoor...). The boot services app update is what actually gets the new animation onto your phone. It seems that the boot services app can't just pull the new animation itself but has to be updated through the play store. That may be a Google Play Services requirement (that all updated "non-transient" data come from the play store); but I haven't read the agreements so I'm not sure.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
That, and I think people would get a little uptight seeing 30MB of unspecified data transfer.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
So, in reverting back to the original boot screen animation yesterday, I did not have to update the app in the play store first. So, was this a timing thing from the last update? After so many days it would revert to the normal boot?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, in reverting back to the original boot screen animation yesterday, I did not have to update the app in the play store first. So, was this a timing thing from the last update? After so many days it would revert to the normal boot?
Yup ,thats correct.