How to make the phone shut up!

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I may be stupid but I can't seem to figure out how to get all sounds on the phone turned off completely. I was in a meeting today and my phone somehow thought I was driving and started announcing an incoming text. I fumbled about for a few minutes wondering how to turn off all the sounds but didn't find a quick solution. I thought that turning the volume all the way down would work but apparently not....

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have that problem with Runkeeper. Will. Not. Shut. Up. And it will talk over the mute settings. Grrr! Who approved these apps?

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
With the screen on, press the Power button, on the power off screen, touch the button at the lower left. That makes the phone silent. I don't know if it silences all apps or just system apps. Repeat or press vol up to turn sounds back on.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
With the screen on, press the Power button, on the power off screen, touch the button at the lower left. That makes the phone silent. I don't know if it silences all apps or just system apps. Repeat or press vol up to turn sounds back on.

Good to know, although I would think that that would be the same as turning the volume all the way down. (FYI to turn it back on with the power button, the button is on the lower right. Took me a sec to see that, but anyway it's easier to just use the volume button.)

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Did your calendar entry for the meeting say you're busy? If so, then activating meetings in Moto Assist should silence the phone. I know it works for me. Now as far as spontaneous meetings are concerned I would think you need to silence the phone manually.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

It doesn't silence specific apps, it silences the ringer and notification sound channels. Media (music/video) and alarm (alarm clock) channels are unaffected by silent mode. However, any app can change your volume settings - so if an app wants to make noise, there's no way to stop it. An additional step you could take that might outsmart a rogue app is to set your default ringtone or notification sound to a "None". This last step may seem cumbersome if done manually, but it could be automated with something like Tasker, which could also be used to automate setting your media and alarm volumes to zero when silent mode is enabled.

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Holding the power button in and then pressing a button on the screen is cumbersome?

If it works that way then it's a good solution. If you look at the thread the person who suggested it wasn't sure if it muted all sounds. Do you know if this mutes all sounds? Thanks.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If it works that way then it's a good solution. If you look at the thread the person who suggested it wasn't sure if it muted all sounds. Do you know if this mutes all sounds? Thanks.
The mute button shows up on top of the phone which indicates that the speaker is off completely. That said, when you want to turn the sound back on just press the volume up button.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The mute button shows up on top of the phone which indicates that the speaker is off completely.

Not true. The presence of the "silent mode" icon indicates that silent mode is enabled. Silent mode has no effect on media or alarm volume. While I can't find any official documentation on this (even the Moto X Userguide makes no mention of it), every Android phone I've ever used has behaved this way. It's easy enough to confirm - just disable silent mode, set a timer for 10 seconds, and wait for it; then enable silent mode, set the timer again, and see what happens.

orangezebra

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If you go into settings/sound/volumes, you will see there is three separate volumes. Media, notifications, and alarm. Do with these as you wish.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya alarm works when on silent.

I like this feature. I don't want my alarm to fail to wake me because I forgot to un-mute the phone. But I've never had a problem with the phone unexpectedly making noise since I turned off the "turn on music when driving" feature.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yet another reason to swicth (back) to iPhone.

I got an iPhone 5s for work. Battery life is impressive but I hate iOS. Android and especially the Moto X's customizations (couldn't live without active display and driving mode) are so much better!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084