Moto X Developer Edition

JS1000

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a question about updates and apologize if this has been discussed before.

My contract with Sprint (SG3) will be over in a few months and I plan on going with Verizon and picking up a Moto X DE. Does this device receive updates quickly like the Nexus 5 would? Or does Motorola tweak the update and I will have to wait for months like I do with Sprint?

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a question about updates and apologize if this has been discussed before.

My contract with Sprint (SG3) will be over in a few months and I plan on going with Verizon and picking up a Moto X DE. Does this device receive updates quickly like the Nexus 5 would? Or does Motorola tweak the update and I will have to wait for months like I do with Sprint?

Thanks

The Moto X actually got the update faster than most other phones. I think the Verizon edition was second only to the Nexus line.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Interesting point to make. Though the original 4.4 update first came to the Verizon Moto X, the 4.4.2 update first came to the GSM (unlocked) Moto X. I'm wondering if Verizon pulled some 'special strings" to make 4.4 happen but then did their usual ball dropping on 4.4.2.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
While it won't get updates as fast as the Nexus line of phones it has a reasonable chance to be the Android phone to get updates the fastest at this time at Verizon... since the last 2 Nexus phones don't work with Verizon. Anyone know if any other phones on Verizon got 4.4.2 before the Moto X?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Or does Motorola tweak the update and I will have to wait for months like I do with Sprint?

If you are going with Verizon the you will be at the mercy of Verizon for when they push out any updates. Because they were early the last time does not mean they will be early the next time.

In fact, there is no guarantee they will push more updates if/when Android goes to 4.5... The more vanilla you have the phone the better, BUT, now that Lenovo is almost certain to own Motorola, even the direct Motorola versions may not get 4.5. updates. There is no responsibility by any OEM or carrier to guarantee future updates or even bug fixes (4.4.3). Morally I would expect then to push bug fixes though, but as a general rule, money guides morals in business. :)

JS1000

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I get the point of being at the mercy of the Verizon (like I am now with Sprint on SG3). I did some basic research but there does not seem to be a nexus 5 like phone at this time on Verizon. What are my other options?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I get the point of being at the mercy of the Verizon (like I am now with Sprint on SG3). I did some basic research but there does not seem to be a nexus 5 like phone at this time on Verizon. What are my other options?

The Droid line is also pretty good. They're basically just bigger versions of the Moto X, which means better battery life. Only downside is that the phones don't feel as nice in the hand.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
The Droid line is also pretty good. They're basically just bigger versions of the Moto X, which means better battery life. Only downside is that the phones don't feel as nice in the hand.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Do they still have that hideous Droid branding? Because... No.

Posted via Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been on VZW for years and it's my fav phone ive ever used on their network. Great update times. The phone is great. Disable bloat and go. Phone lasts all day easy. No need for bigger batteries unless ur a kid playing games all day. I streamed pandora for 2 hours after fully charged and was at 90 percent battery. No I didnt get calls or anything in that time but i thought that was impressive!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781