Back to Android with the Moto X

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
My Moto X order just went through on MotoMaker, so now I wait.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5S with iOS 8 installed. Works pretty well, and I'm going to really miss iMessage, but honestly, I'm really excited for the X to get here. As entrenched as I am with Apple, you can't beat Active Notifications...

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My Moto X order just went through on MotoMaker, so now I wait.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5S with iOS 8 installed. Works pretty well, and I'm going to really miss iMessage, but honestly, I'm really excited for the X to get here. As entrenched as I am with Apple, you can't beat Active Notifications...

So even with the current ios 8 beta installed you're still switching? That goes to show that maybe it's not worth waiting out for

Posted via Android Central App

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have always loved Apple, but I rely so heavily on Google services. I have an iPad and a Macbook, but I prefer having an Android phone. It's weird, but it's my preference.

iOS 8 isn't anything too special. It's iOS 7 with a few really nifty features, but honestly Hangouts is going in a similar direction to iMessage. I just wish more people used it...also Apple Maps is pure, unadulterated garbage.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have always loved Apple, but I rely so heavily on Google services. I have an iPad and a Macbook, but I prefer having an Android phone. It's weird, but it's my preference.

iOS 8 isn't anything too special. It's iOS 7 with a few really nifty features, but honestly Hangouts is going in a similar direction to iMessage. I just wish more people used it...also Apple Maps is pure, unadulterated garbage.

Interesting I have an ipad and a MacBook and the iPhone came much later. I had used both Android and WP previously. I am holding on to my X, I know I will want to switch eventually.

I only use Google Maps, always have. I like Hangouts and use it from my iDevices as well.

I will have to see what features iOS 8 finally brings and how important they are to me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I will have to see what features iOS 8 finally brings and how important they are to me. :)

That's the thing, on a whole, it's adding a lot of features you've already got on Android. The problem will be that now you're used to these features 'Android style' you'll probably get frustrated with iOS's take on it.

Woulda probably been the other way round if you'd first tried these features on ios then swapped.

The only real benefit to those of us with mac's and ipad's is the handoff thing where you can answer calls and texts but to be honest, that's not very relevant to me. I like integration, but this is over integrated

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The only real benefit to those of us with mac's and ipad's is the handoff thing where you can answer calls and texts but to be honest, that's not very relevant to me. I like integration, but this is over integrated

True I haven't quite figured out when I would answer calls from my Mac, I have my phone with me all the time, grafted to my hand as hubby puts it. :D

What did you decide on the Moto X?

Last edited:

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, handoff is neat. But, I use Google Voice, so if I'm on my computer and someone calls, I can already answer it through my computer if I so choose. It's the only reason I haven't given up on Google Voice.

That said, there's still a ton I love about iOS. But, I just prefer Google services and the way Android handles notifications. The new notification center on iOS isn't anything special, and with Google Fit competing directly with Health Book, it just boils down to whether you are more invested in Apple or Google services, and which you can do without.

That's the thing, on a whole, it's adding a lot of features you've already got on Android. The problem will be that now you're used to these features 'Android style' you'll probably get frustrated with iOS's take on it.

Woulda probably been the other way round if you'd first tried these features on ios then swapped.

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I decided on the X because of Active Notifications. My wife has a Droid Maxx (Verizon), and I'm on TMobile back in the United States. I really, really like Active Notifications, and can live without a 1080p screen on a phone.

The screen resolution and the speed of the phone is good enough for me. The only game I play with any fervor on my phone is Candy Crush. I use my Macbook or iPad for anything that requires any serious oomph.

True I haven't quite figured out when I would answer calls from my Mac, I have my phone with me all the time, grafted to my hand as hubby puts it. :D

What did you decide on the Moto X?

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty much on the fence right now between iOS or Android, more specifically the iPhone 6 or the Moto X+1. I'm leaning more towards the iPhone though. I've used a Moto X for 4-5 months, but am currently on an iPhone 5C.

There are loads i love about the Moto X, I even made a video about it.

There were basically only 2 main trigger that made me decide to switch,

1. When i bought the Moto X, I had to get it imported into my country because it wasn't officially sold in my country, so the T-Mobile version that I ordered did not support LTE in my country. Recently 3G/HSPA+ has been extremely unstable for my carrier, dropping signal frequently (same for my Moto G as well). I tested the LTE signal on my Nexus 5, Lumia 625, HTC One M7, and iPhone 5, and they all worked great. (Not the Moto X's fault really but it was a trigger for me to want a change)

2. My Moto X suffered screen burn in (navigation buttons and status bar) after just 3 months+, and it's going to be a PITA to claim warranty since I don't live in the States. The main reason it got burn in was probably because I am a pretty active Ingress player, and that requires a lot of on time for the screen at full brightness, especially in bright day light. While minor and not really noticeable unless I am watching videos or rebooting the phone, it still annoyed me slightly.

So actually, I really like the Moto X. The switch to iPhone was purely coincidental, it might as well been other Android phones but there isn't any that interest me now. I just wanted a change, and was pretty interested in what iOS 8 will bring. And I actually am pretty content using my iPhone 5C now despite being dependant of a few google's services still. I'm leaning towards iOS 8 as it will bring features that I think will improve my workflow. While Moto X's customisation is great, using a pink iPhone 5C is pretty unique too. lol.

So now, I'm just waiting to see what I/O will bring, and then to see what Motorola can do with the X+1, which is pretty much the only Android device I am looking forward to. :p

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how it converts but I paid £289 for mine and can get a full refund if I return before friday

Well! Friday is past, what did you do? Just curious. I am still loving mine.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Well! Friday is past, what did you do? Just curious. I am still loving mine.

Pains me to say ........ It's gone , given that the moto maker service is on it's way (fingers crossed) I couldn't turn down a full refund.

Am considering a cheap 2nd hand LG G2 to tide me over, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone 5c

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hope the Motomaker comes soon.

Sorry no input on any LG Android, actually I never had any LG gsm device.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hope the Motomaker comes soon.

Sorry no input on any LG Android, actually I never had any LG gsm device.

On the other hand, still got a perfectly good note 2 knocking about so may see if I can get by on that till I can test out an X+1 and iphone 6. But knowing me I'll probably be ordering another X within a fortnight

Sent from my iPhone 5c

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
On the other hand, still got a perfectly good note 2 knocking about so may see if I can get by on that till I can test out an X+1 and iphone 6. But knowing me I'll probably be ordering another X within a fortnight

Sent from my iPhone 5c
Lol, sounds like me. I got my X SIM unlocked so I can use local SIMs when I travel instead of switching SIMs in the iPhone all the time.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol, sounds like me. I got my X SIM unlocked so I can use local SIMs when I travel instead of switching SIMs in the iPhone all the time.

Unfortunately I haven't got the excuse of traveling to warrant having a second phone

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't got the excuse of traveling to warrant having a second phone

Lol, "excuse" it certainly is since I never needed a second phone in the last 6 years.

The X is different, I can't part with it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance