Using the Moto X without a case

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just don't like the feel of a phone in my pocket regardless of the size

Me TOO! I was given a Body Glove Drop Suit case for Christmas but found it made a bigger bulge in my pocket and would pop off the phone at various times. A month ago while my wife was shopping at the local mall I wandered in to the Best Buy Mobile store. I mentioned to the clerk that I was looking for a case for my Moto X that didn't come off with rough handling and he proceeded to show me this unit and even put it on my phone to demonstrate how it felt. It has a rather clunky holster with a belt clip but its robustness I feel is a plus as it seems quite durable and is also constructed so as to allow easy access to the phone. I bought it and haven't regretted it.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought the phone on day one. Had a case here and there. They only lasted a couple of days on the phone if that. The feel of this phone in your hand is great. I've dropped my phone about 10 or so times from waist high, on different types of surfaces and walked away with some very very minor nicks. The moto x is a durable phone, or I've been very lucky. I do have a screen protector tho.

Posted via Android Central App

trail_n_mx_rider

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
No case. I never saw the point of buying a nice phone and then covering it up. People are also so interested about the thinness of their phones, or the size of their phones in other dimensions, but then they slap a case on it and practically double its volume. It makes no sense to me. (Just to make things interesting, I also never get the insurance from my service provider.)
+1 Jonathan. This is exactly how I roll as well.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I am wondering if any of you use your X without a case. I do have a case for it but it looks so much nicer without.

Any opinions?

Sorry if this has been asked before, please point me to it if it has been.

Thanks much :)

I don't use a case or screen protector. I have a Mugen power case that I never use because it is so bulky. The phone has its dings and nicks but what's the point of wood if you cover it up?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using no case as well but using screen protector.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah I never use cases on my phones, but always make sure I have a screen protector. It's much nicer to just replace the screen protector that's scratched than the glass.

gerritvb

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth I dropped my moto x from a height of a coffee table, at home, onto the carpet, and got massive cracks in the screen, to the point where small pieces of glass were coming off and posing a risk of cutting / stabbing me.

I've had caseless smartphones for 3.5 years with no problems but this incident has convinced me to go Otterbox (or other reputable brand) 100% from now own.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a back skin on the way because I want the natural feel but I'm ocd about scratches. It'll make me feel less anxious. I'll be getting another phone in a couple months anyway. Just don't tell my wife..

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
has anyone tried both of these phones and can compare? I love the feel of the moto x. I have to buy out of contract and can't decide from these 2. I'm not much of a gamer so doesn't really matter...and don't really take pictures to print (only for web upload).

There's a used but mint moto x 32gb with ebony back for $300 and S5 full price of $599 (verizon)...

just trying to get some comments from people with real life experiences!!! Thanks in advance!!

That's really funny you mention that. I am not normally a case guy, but I ordered the AC deal of the day a few days ago. It was a case for the Moto X. The exact same one as that, but with different branding. The holster was separate, but I bought that too. I got it in the mail today and it's OK. Like I said before I'm not a case guy normally, but this one seems to be OK. I'll use it for a little while and see how I feel about it a month from now before I decide whether or not to take it off. The thing I really don't like about it is the dimple is covered up.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Well I made it so long without a case without a scratch and today while running I ended up dropping it and one whole side is messed up but good thing is screen is still perfect.
If I would of had case it would of been fine :-(

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it, I cracked my digitizer on my Moto X, IN MY OWN HOUSE. I am now relegated to using my RAZR M. Beware Moto X owners! Use a case!

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got a case for my X.
Going to try my DoDo Wallet.[Natural]
This is purely for the purpose of consolidation.
While I have traded in my Walnut for a Bamboo, would still prefer it naked.
Prior, my wallet weighs in at about two pounds [or feels like it]...it's huge.
So a major transformation is taking place.
We shall see if it endures.

Last edited:

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I loved the feel of the my new Moto X so I didn't use a case when I first got the phone. However, I dropped my Moto X about 2 months after I got it, very little damage besides a very small chip at the bottom left of the phone - it really isn't noticeable unless you really look for it. However, it was definitely enough for me to put a clear TPU case on the phone. The case barely adds bulk but does provide me a bit of peace of mind.

I would advise anyone with a new phone to get some kind of screen protector/bumper case for their phones or get a rugged phone. I do think an OuterBox is overkill - but I understand why people get them. Phones are expensive and can be a pain to replace - it is cheaper to spend $20-50 on a case then it is to spend money on insurance/new phone.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a case for mine, but I haven't used it in several months. And the last time I used it, I only had it on my phone for a day or two. My phone's still fine; I haven't dropped it or anything. *knock on wood*

And even if I do drop it, I've got insurance.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I try not to use the case for mine. But the fact I have a spare otterbox kicking around I put it on when I go to work seeing that I'm in the army and all a little extra protection is nice

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I mostly put cases on my phones. Except sliders like my old Blackberry Torch.

I really hated my moto X with a case so I'm naked all the way. I even tried a few very thin and clear cases. But it was not just how the phone looked, I did not like the way it felt in my hand with a case. The feel of the curved back was lost and I really like it.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I try not to use the case for mine. But the fact I have a spare otterbox kicking around I put it on when I go to work seeing that I'm in the army and all a little extra protection is nice

Thank you for your service!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol