Moto X: Incipio offGrid Battery Case 2400 mAh

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Just bought one today from an AT&T store for $60. I agree: it is a brick. It is 0.75 inches thick, so I can't really put this in a jeans pocket. I may keep it for traveling, but definitely not something I would use every day.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It just makes more sense to get a 25 dollar external battery pack rather than a case for traveling. I'd be ahead 35 bucks.

Posted via Android Central App

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I have an all-day event tomorrow; half of it is on a boat, and half of it is at a dock bar (yes, it promises to be a very fun day). It's not the kind of event that lends itself to carrying chargers or external battery packs... or to being stingy with my phone usage. It's the perfect use case for the Incipio Offgrid. Just called my AT&T Corporate Store of choice (Pentagon City, VA), and they're holding one for me to pick up on my way home from work. We'll see how it goes!

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local AT&T store over Memorial Day weekend and they had 5 in stock but they were $78.00. I asked if that was correct, the guy rang it up to check and it was indeed $78.00. Was looking forward to getting it but not for that price.

Posted via AC App on Moto X

ch88xy

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
>> It's not the kind of event that lends itself to carrying chargers or external battery packs<<

The case IS a an external battery/charger. You use it to charge the Moto X once in a long long time (in my case a full day). But for that occasional use, you are giving your hand some extra burden all the time. Why not separate the two and carry a small external battery pack in a different pocket, since you will not be charging most of the time? I have a Mugen battery for my Nokia N900. It is a high capacity replacement battery (2400mAh vs. 1320 mAh). Because of the size, it even comes with a custom made back cover to accommodate the added thickness. Now that IS internal battery. It lasts me days before recharging.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
>> It's not the kind of event that lends itself to carrying chargers or external battery packs<<

The case IS a an external battery/charger. You use it to charge the Moto X once in a long long time (in my case a full day). But for that occasional use, you are giving your hand some extra burden all the time. Why not separate the two and carry a small external battery pack in a different pocket, since you will not be charging most of the time? I have a Mugen battery for my Nokia N900. It is a high capacity replacement battery (2400mAh vs. 1320 mAh). Because of the size, it even comes with a custom made back cover to accommodate the added thickness. Now that IS internal battery. It lasts me days before recharging.

Seriously? Get way too precise much? MY external battery pack is a Gorilla Gear 16,800 mAh battery pack that's too big and heavy to fit in a pocket but will last me a week of recharges on the Moto X. So it was a non-starter for me. And, since the Moto X battery is non-removable, your example is worthless... except as a means to try and correct me on a meaningless technicality.

Anyhow, the Incipio case was PERFECT for my day on the boat on Thursday. I was able to keep the phone+case in my jacket pocket (yes, it was chilly and drizzly), and after 8 hours, I still had 100% battery on the phone by keeping it topped off all day. It's bulky, to be sure, but actually still feels pretty decent in hand. On top of that, the case rang up at 50% off because of my discount ($30!).

Very, very happy with the purchase.

Posted via Android Central App

ch88xy

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
>>since the Moto X battery is non-removable, your example is worthless<<

Not really. If the Incipio is internal, then there is no choice: you need to carry it all the time. Since you agree that it's external, then we do have choices. You can choose to have it attached all the time for the occasional use (for me it would be more than 10 hours, which makes it unnecessary). Or you can choose to use the Moto X without the extra burden, and get a separate battery charger for the occasional use. I have 5-6 power banks, some smaller than a cigarette case, weight just a few ozs and cost around $10. It is not hard to find a small external battery.

>>the Incipio case was PERFECT for my day on the boat on Thursday. I was able to keep the phone+case in my jacket pocket<<

You just proved my point. Since you carry a jacket with pockets, what's preventing you from using the Moto X without extra burden, and have a separate small charger in a jacket pocket "just in case"? I guess people can say something like "I may lose the charger (but not the Moto X?), or "I feel Moto X is too light without the extra weight", or even "I like to punish myself (sorry I have to put that in)", etc. But really, the only scenario I can think of to support the use of an Incipio would be if I am allowed to wear only a swim trunk for the whole day, with zero or one small pocket, and am not allowed to carry any jacket or bag. I don't think that happens to anybody that often. And frankly if you are in a swim trunk, you probably won't be doing heaving computing anyway (unless you are a marine biologist), and can always recharge the Moto X at the end of your activity.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My local At&t store had 3 of these and were only charging $40 each. I still have the battery case for my Galaxy Nexus but thankfully this one is alittle smaller.

To those who just can't figure out why anyone would want such a gadget. Here is just one reason I have. My Moto X has a loose but functional USB socket an as we all know the next problem I am going to have is a Moto X that doesn't charge anymore. With this case I can leave my tired old USB socket alone and use the nice new USB socket on the case. And it is cheaper than a repair.

I understand this is not a reason for everyone to buy this case but it is not for everybody it is for a small niche and that is why you don't find these types of cases at many vendors.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mugen Power 2800mAh Battery Case for the Moto X

I bought one yesterday for $40.

It lifts my perfect screen protector. Maybe that's the reason why it's cheap.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

My local At&t store had 3 of these and were only charging $40 each. I still have the battery case for my Galaxy Nexus but thankfully this one is alittle smaller.

To those who just can't figure out why anyone would want such a gadget. Here is just one reason I have. My Moto X has a loose but functional USB socket an as we all know the next problem I am going to have is a Moto X that doesn't charge anymore. With this case I can leave my tired old USB socket alone and use the nice new USB socket on the case. And it is cheaper than a repair.

I understand this is not a reason for everyone to buy this case but it is not for everybody it is for a small niche and that is why you don't find these types of cases at many vendors.

I bought one yesterday for $40.

It lifts my perfect screen protector. Maybe that's the reason why it's cheap.

$40 with no corporate discount?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

$40 with no corporate discount?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Yes is it the regular price because I asked if there was a sale or discount going on and the rep said nope. I am not surprised because I bought the one for my Galaxy Nexus for $13.00 from China and I bet they are made by the same company.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! Picked one up today. Review coming soon.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I have sold 4 on Ebay the past few weeks so I would have to say yeah people are still looking for this case.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Can't seem to locate one in Chicago. The three stores I went into were clueless. UPC and Model # brought up nothing in their system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax