Charging habits

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I got a question for everyone. Last night before I went to bed and my Moto X was that about 40 percent of battery or so and when I got up this morning it was dead and I am just charging a little bit up now before I start using Google Maps. Do you guys usually charge it every night regardless if there's 40 percent of battery or so left or not? Thanks for the support.

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I got a question for everyone. Last night before I went to bed and my Moto X was that about 40 percent of battery or so and when I got up this morning it was dead and I am just charging a little bit up now before I start using Google Maps. Do you guys usually charge it every night regardless if there's 40 percent of battery or so left or not? Thanks for the support.

I have charged it before at different stages of battery percent.It seems odd that you had 40% left when you went to bed and then dead when you woke up though.
Have you checked you : Settings>Battery>History details , and looked to see if anything was keeping it awake?
That would be the first thing I would look at.
Are you getting a decent signal ?
As you can see from my screen shot there was nothing showing in the awake bar until I started using my phone this morning
epy3u5az.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have charged it before at different stages of battery percent.It seems odd that you had 40% left when you went to bed and then dead when you woke up though.
Have you checked you : Settings>Battery>History details , and looked to see if anything was keeping it awake?
That would be the first thing I would look at.
Are you getting a decent signal ?
As you can see from my screen shot there was nothing showing in the awake bar until I started using my phone this morning
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/epy3u5az.jpg

Yeah no I thought it was a little weird too but it's happened before words drain down to like 15 percent battery and then I have to charge it up a little bit before you get in my car I just looked at the battery history but it doesn't matter cause I just chargedup in the car so it's a false reading I'll keep you updated but I just found it really odd and weird now on another note I haven't always had that issue sometimes I'll be able to get through the night with about 30 percent of battery left but still even so have to find the charger soon the following day you know what I mean

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine every night I go to bed regardless of battery level.

Haha yeah usually I do too I was just curious as to everyone else is charging as well of course. Usually even if its only 35% 40% or after work I'll use my phone alarm or so of course so I went wind up draining the battery exponentially after I leave work of course. I was just curious that's all. Thank you.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I plug mine in every single night before I go to sleep no matter what, even if its almost fully charged. I need mine to be full when I wake up in the morning. I use it all day long for streaming music, navigation, texting and phone calls for work too. On top of social media & watching videos at lunch. Sometimes I need to charge it mid day for a little while when I'm going between job sites too.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to charge my phone every night until I realized how much of a waste that is. Now, I just make sure my phone has enough battery left to stay on through the night (usually consumes about 10%). If I have time to charge it before going to work or class, I'll do so. If not, I'll just take the charger with me and plug it in later.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes usually I can get through the day easily on one charge when I get home from work, I have a good 40 to 50 percent battery left and then I'm just using more heavily thereafter of course

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I used to charge my phone every night until I realized how much of a waste that is. Now, I just make sure my phone has enough battery left to stay on through the night (usually consumes about 10%). If I have time to charge it before going to work or class, I'll do so. If not, I'll just take the charger with me and plug it in later.

How is it a waste? It uses a fraction of a penny worth of power, causes no damage to the device and leaves you with a full battery.

roces9

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I full charge (or as full as possible) before bed then leave the phone in airplane overnight and lose about 1% battery / hour. I thought that leaving the phone on a charger over night was "bad for the battery," not sure if that's true at all.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I really try to not charge mine until it's necessary. If the phone still has an adequate amount of juice in it, I just leave it alone. Whether it makes a difference or not, constantly recharging these Li-Ion batteries tends to wear them down faster, and over time, it holds less of a charge. Since the batteries in most of these phones are not removable, (including the Moto X), and I don't buy new phones every year, I try to preserve the battery as much as possible. Who knows if what I'm doing changes anything, but it's become a habit of sorts.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
If your battery by some chance goes bad they can replace it at a service center or if you are feeling froggy you can replace it yourself. A year or six months down the line you probably are not going to care if it has been cracked open or not. Every battery known to man goes bad over time. Use your phone, enjoy it with a full charge while it's relatively new. Charge mine every night no matter what. If there was some sort of problem with that it would be warm to the touch in the morning, but it never is.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Considering most people keep their phones for two years then take an upgrade, I wouldn't worry about battery degradation. Even if the battery is "only" good for say 500 full cycles (100%-0%) it's still going to be basically 2 years before any battery degradation occurs... and it's not like it's gonna get cut in half overnight.

Granted, people on a 4 year marriage to a device should probably worry, but I'd say buy a device with a removable battery in that case.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Like a few others here; I charge my phone every night regardless of what the battery level is. Granted, usually its below %25 percent because I don't charge while driving or anything like that. Charging my phone at various percentages on all my phones has never caused me a battery issue. I do however drain the battery to 0 from 100% about once a month. The general consensus is that that is recommended to "calibrate" the battery I guess.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do agree with what everyone the same here I'm not getting it too weird about the battery degrading itself over time and that's just the obvious oh yeah usually most of the time I charge it every night that's just what everyone else then as well that's all

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I charge every night, and if I need a push during I will give it some juice too. That is what I did when I had my iPhone, I suppose my Moto X can take the same kind of treatment.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I charge every night, and if I need a push during I will give it some juice too. That is what I did when I had my iPhone, I suppose my Moto X can take the same kind of treatment.

Yes, however, the custom motorola x8 processor does a very good job of battery during the day regardless