AT&T vs. Unlocked

detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there any benefit to ordering the Unlocked version over the AT&T version if you use AT&T? Will you get updates slightly quicker since there's no carrier approval?

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
You could. Also you don't get any of the At&t bloatware (which is limited on the MotoX). I always get an unlocked phone because i'm on T-Mobile but if I could get one for At&t i would. it's the same price, I think.

detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
For the same price, why would you chose the AT&T version over the Unlocked one? Just curious.

You could. Also you don't get any of the At&t bloatware (which is limited on the MotoX). I always get an unlocked phone because i'm on T-Mobile but if I could get one for At&t i would. it's the same price, I think.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Just curious. Is there any "unlocked" phones that work with Verizon? I'm stuck with them because they are the only provider with LTE access in the rural area I live. I always pay full price for my phones, so I can get a new one at any time. My Moto X is locked in with Verizon, but I would love to have a boat free unlocked version.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the Moto X ;)

Just curious. Is there any "unlocked" phones that work with Verizon? I'm stuck with them because they are the only provider with LTE access in the rural area I live. I always pay full price for my phones, so I can get a new one at any time. My Moto X is locked in with Verizon, but I would love to have a boat free unlocked version.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked means you can pretty much go to any carrier that supports radio bands in the phone. If you get just AT&T it just works on them, you can unlock it afterwards but you would still get the bloatware.
Updates should come faster as well, usually only a few weeks after the release instead of months.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Verizon moto x should be factory sim unlocked so you can use it on other gsm carriers. You can't use an unlocked phone on Verizon though unless it is in their database.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thats what I was looking for, thanks! The GSM Unlocked and AT&T have the same bands right, so I shouldnt see any difference in quality?

Unlocked means you can pretty much go to any carrier that supports radio bands in the phone. If you get just AT&T it just works on them, you can unlock it afterwards but you would still get the bloatware.
Updates should come faster as well, usually only a few weeks after the release instead of months.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

The Verizon version should be SIM unlocked. As per Verizon's deal with the FCC when they last won a spectrum auction. However it will not be bloat free as it's Verizon branded. It also likely has more worldly GSM support and may be missing some bands used by AT&T and Tmobile.

To get bloat free you need to buy either the Tmobile version or developer edition Moto X. However both of those versions lack the CDMA support required by Verizon's network.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon version should be SIM unlocked. As per Verizon's deal with the FCC when they last won a spectrum auction. However it will not be bloat free as it's Verizon branded. It also likely has more worldly GSM support and may be missing some bands used by AT&T and Tmobile.

To get bloat free you need to buy either the Tmobile version or developer edition Moto X. However both of those versions lack the CDMA support required by Verizon's network.

Verizon has a Developer Edition Moto X available. Developer Edition just means the bootloader is unlocked and you are still covered under warranty if you unlock and root it. I assume it would still have the bloat for Verizon though.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon moto x should be factory sim unlocked so you can use it on other gsm carriers. You can't use an unlocked phone on Verizon though unless it is in their database.

I was not aware of this. I don't have the developer edition, just the Moto Maker model. Even that is factory Sim unlocked?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was not aware of this. I don't have the developer edition, just the Moto Maker model. Even that is factory Sim unlocked?

It should be. Easiest way to try is to order a prepaid sim from tmobile. You do not need to activate, just insert the sim. Sometimes tmobile will offer it free or cheap.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has a Developer Edition Moto X available. Developer Edition just means the bootloader is unlocked and you are still covered under warranty if you unlock and root it. I assume it would still have the bloat for Verizon though.

Completely forgot that there was also a Verizon dev edition.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes, it should be SIM unlocked. Verizon iPhones come SIM unlocked.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thats what I was looking for, thanks! The GSM Unlocked and AT&T have the same bands right, so I shouldnt see any difference in quality?

Shouldn't see any difference in quality what so ever.
I should clarify that updates times are always different, the Verizon Moto X got 4.2.2 before any other even unlocked I believe, but having stock android it does help with timely updates.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there any benefit to ordering the Unlocked version over the AT&T version if you use AT&T? Will you get updates slightly quicker since there's no carrier approval?

My unlocked for 4.4.2 about 6 weeks before att did. I use mine on att because update are faster generally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX