Not getting multimedia messages / no data connection

add lightness

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, first post here. I've had my X since Christmas, after upgrading from a 4 year old dumbphone. Since then I've had one issue with it, it won't download mms messages, and the data connection doesn't work. When I get an MMS, I will get a notification that it is available, but downloading it always fails, as does sending them. Also, the data connection doesn't work; it never sends or recieves and never shows the 4G status logo. I assume this is the cause of the MMS issue. My best guess is that something is wrong with the APN settings on my phone. I haven't messed with them, but I'll post them below for you to have a look at.

The other thing that may or may not have anything to do with this issue is that, when I upgraded to this phone, AT&T never added a data plan to my account. I've read that as soon as you connect a smart phone, the carrier's system will detect it, and add a data plan automatically. I'm not sure why this didn't happen to me. Maybe because the phone can't communicate via data at all? My account does have the "mobile purchase blocker" on it. I'm happy with this because I don't need the data - I'm at home or school with wifi 95% of the time.

So, what can I do to get the data to work on this phone. Also, when I do get it working, will the system detect the phone and automatically add the data plan? I'd rather it didn't, but the $20/mo extra wouldn't be the end of the world. Thanks for the help!

APNs:

Name: ATT phone
APN: phone
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
username: not set
password: not set
server: not set
mmsc: not set
mms proxy: not set
mms port: not set
mcc: 310