06-03-2014 09:35 PM
50 12
tools
    Yeah, don't rub it in! To be fair, the black one suits me.

Posted via Android Central App
    Oh sorry I forgot about it.

Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    05-26-2014 01:13 PM

I bought mine on motomaker, and choose to get black. I think it looks nice.

I back up my photos on drop box until I get around to putting than on my laptop. That's another storage option for you.

Also, for future reference, most unlocked developer version US phones can be used in the UK. You need to check what bands they use for data, but if they are unlocked and have the right bands, you can buy one used or something and just get a local SIM.
    05-26-2014 06:36 PM
    Hi, great review there. I received my X over the weekend and must say I'm lovin it!

As I'd read a lot of negative stuff about the camera I was expecting it to be terrible but I find it fine for my typical usage so that's a bonus.

Give the battery a few days to settle in. Once it does, you will probably be more than satisfied with it. I love the form factor and size. For me, I think that is the sweet spot they should aim for when building a phone. It isn't too big to use one handed, the OS and hardware are optimized, so to compare the X against even the Note 3, the X will give the Note 3 a good run for it's money.
    I love the active notifications, and the always listening. If you have yours turned on, say, 'OK, Google Now, do a barrel roll'. I love that easter egg....

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.
    05-26-2014 07:51 PM
    Give the battery a few days to settle in. Once it does, you will probably be more than satisfied with it. I love the form factor and size. For me, I think that is the sweet spot they should aim for when building a phone. It isn't too big to use one handed, the OS and hardware are optimized, so to compare the X against even the Note 3, the X will give the Note 3 a good run for it's money.
    I love the active notifications, and the always listening. If you have yours turned on, say, 'OK, Google Now, do a barrel roll'. I love that easter egg....

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.
    Yeah, the battery is the only thing concerning me at the moment. I'm lucky to get 12 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Is that normal?

05-27-2014 02:29 AM

Ha Ha I dont have a custom one either.
    Enjoy your phone
    I have the black 16GB model which at the time was the only model/ and gb size, my carrier had.
    It has been flawless so I had no real reason to update just for a custom one.

Yeah, the battery is the only thing concerning me at the moment. I'm lucky to get 12 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Is that normal?

As Golfdriver97 suggested I would let it go though several battery charging cycles to settle in.If you still think the battery life isnt up to par afterwards you can post some screen shots of the battery stats for us to look at and see if it looks normal.

PS : "That barrel roll " Golfdriver mentioned in his post is kinda cool
    Golfdriver97 and Paul Ellis1 like this.
    05-27-2014 06:58 AM
    Hi, here's a couple of screen shots. To be honest, I still don't really understand how to decipher the battery info as android is still pretty new to me!

Also, the haptic feedback is a little 'tinny' and rough, is that normal?

Attached Thumbnails Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-916.jpg   Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-915.jpg  
    05-27-2014 08:34 AM
    And this one

Attached Thumbnails Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-914.jpg  
    05-27-2014 08:42 AM
    Would've love to know how to improve this

Attached Thumbnails Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-918.jpg   Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-917.jpg   Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-919.jpg  
    05-27-2014 10:01 AM
    what is your screen brighness set at?
    05-27-2014 11:04 AM
    I'm jumping on this post because I have a Nexus 5 that I ordered right when it came out. I initially loved it and I still like it a lot but there's been some bugs/things I don't like (battery, gps, dropping signal) and I'm contemplating switching to a Moto X. I love the idea of the active notifications, the driving mode, and the better battery management. (Also I'm a sucker for the colors).
    I'd get the 32gb and I can get an education discount...

Although the above poster is making me a little worried with those screenshots for battery. So any input/personal experiences would be great.
    05-27-2014 11:11 AM
    Would've love to know how to improve this

Looks to me like you're a power user or else you just are having too much fun and can't put the phone down. Your phone is awake and your screen is on a high percentage of the time in your graphs. Lower the screen brightness if you haven't done so already to the lowest possible setting and still be able to view easily. Is this type of usage typical for previous smartphones that you've owned? If so, I wouldn't think they would have lasted any longer on a single charge unless you have one of the phones with battery capacity over 3,000 mAh.
    05-27-2014 11:40 AM
    Auto with it turned quote low

05-27-2014 11:58 AM
    I changed these things to improve my battery.Also I have Battery Saver turned on.

I have my screen set just about 1/3 of the way up.So mine is turned down pretty low 90% of the time.
    I don't have Auto ticked on for the screen brightness .(I just manually set)
    I do have to adjust screen up brighter if I am outside,, especially if in bright sunlight but for me that isn't a big deal.
    I also have the display to sleep after 30 seconds of inactivity.(screeen shot showing this)

These are even more of a personal preference then above:

I don't auto sync anything Settings:>Google>Accounts but 2 things : Google+, and Google Wallet.
    Actually the things I do sync for me but manually are >calender,chrome,contacts,drive,people details . I sync those when needed or if I added changes to those things.
    I don't use Google Now cards at all.
    I do use the Google Now voice commands though ("ok Google Now" > "Whats the weather Like" ...,etc. voice navigation.. " ok google navigate to " ..... )
    I leave GPS,Bluetooth,always on even when I am not using it (just so I dont have to toggle it on when needed)
    Edit: I dont use the Battery Saver feature related to GPS.I leave that on High Accuracy.
    05-27-2014 01:59 PM
    I've had my Moto x for 3 days, the first 2 days the battery was awful... I made sure to let it run empty, fully re-charge before even touching and today I've managed to get the following (Trying to kill the thing before bed!)

Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-screenshot_2014-05-27-21-45-42.png
    Help me either choose or avoid moto x?-screenshot_2014-05-27-21-45-55.png

The one thing im still experimenting with is 'High Accuracy' vs 'Battery Saver'... Will keep testing it more but mine seems to be doing very well!
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    05-27-2014 03:47 PM
    Were these results achieved with high accuracy or battery saving gps setting enabled?

05-27-2014 04:55 PM
    I manually adjust brightness as auto supposedly uses more battery. For location, I switched to device only a couple of months ago and saw pretty significant battery savings.
    05-27-2014 09:03 PM
    Were these results achieved with high accuracy or battery saving gps setting enabled?

Battery saving

05-28-2014 12:28 AM
    I do think you have high percentage of screen on time. What kalo88 posted about his battery usage seems about right.

On any given day, I use less than 1 hour of screen time. I have a dark background and I immediately shut the screen when I press the on button. I do, however, have my screen on full brightness. Do you have your display setting to shut down after like after one minute?

What about network setting? Go to setting, press "More..." below Wireless & Network, press Mobile networks, and look at Preferred network type. Is it set to your carrier network? I'm in the States and its set to LTE/CDMA because I have Verizon Wireless. If I let it set to something else, like Global, the phone will constantly search for that network which will drain battery.

I have to admit, however, that I usually recharge once during the day to keep me going through the night. This is something I didn't have to do with Moto Razr Maxx, which I gave up because it was lagging too much.

There are other forums that specifically talk about battery. They might provide more help.
    05-28-2014 02:34 AM
    Really considering sending it back over the battery issues. Hate to say it but can't get anywhere near what I was hoping for 😢

05-29-2014 03:39 PM
    My battery took about a week to settle in. During that time I fully discharged and fully charged once or twice. Then I started getting 18-24hrs without charging.

I've had a few apps update over the past week... and I'm noticing battery life isn't as good as it was, so I'm starting to wonder if an app update is hurting me, and which app it might be. BUT I don't see anything obvious.
    05-30-2014 01:41 PM
    Really considering sending it back over the battery issues. Hate to say it but can't get anywhere near what I was hoping for 😢

Here's links to a couple of old articles that may or may not help you improve your battery life:
    Moto X In Review: 7 Battery Life Tips And Tricks For The Motorola Flagship
    Moto X In Review: 7 More Ways To Increase Battery Life On Motorola's Android Flagship

Also, I do suggest you try using the "Device Only" location setting, if you haven't already tried that. That is what I use and I got more battery life after switching to that setting and I still get enough location based information for my needs (ie. Moto Assist driving mode still works but I don't get as many location based cards in Google Now, which I don't care about anyway).

As I said before though, your screen on time is pretty significant in the screenshots you provided. One set of graphs shows your screen was on 3 hours and 20 minutes while on battery for 6 hours 29 minutes (around 51% of the time). The second set of graphs shows your screen was on 3 hours and 45 minutes while on battery for 7 hours 56 minutes (around 47% of the time). And both sets of graphs show pretty high times (lots of blue bars/dashes) for the phone being Awake (so you could have a wakelock issue) and Screen On. I charge my phone overnight every night but can easily make it through one day (17 hours or so) and still have 30 to 40% battery remaining when I connect it to the charger. But my screen on time will only be about 3 hours for the entire 17 hour period (around 18% of the time). If you're hoping or expecting to make it through a 17 hour day on a single charge and get 8.5 hours of screen on time (screen on around 50% of the time), it won't happen with the Moto X and I'm not aware of any other phone that is capable of this either.
    06-01-2014 09:20 AM
    Hi, thanks for your help. I don't really understand a lot about those graphs. Is there a way I can find out what's causing the wake locks without rooting? (Something I'm nowhere near comfortable trying yet)

06-01-2014 09:33 AM
    Hi, thanks for your help. I don't really understand a lot about those graphs. Is there a way I can find out what's causing the wake locks without rooting? (Something I'm nowhere near comfortable trying yet)

You used to be able to get pretty good information on wakelocks prior to Android 4.4 KitKat using apps like GSAM Battery Monitor or Wakelock Detector but I think much of that capability has been eliminated with the onset of KitKat for whatever reason, unless you have root access.

See this: https://plus.google.com/+SvenKnispel/posts/ReLvz6KJwG5

It's never been a concern for me though since my Awake times coincide pretty closely with my Screen On times (blue bars/hashmarks under each item in the battery graph align pretty closely with one another). Yours appear to line up relatively close as well so I still think your issue is mainly that you have a high amount of screen on time.
    06-01-2014 01:10 PM
    Fao anyone following this, I haven't done a factory reset at all but over the last couple of days my battery life has drastically improved. I admit, I was dubious when people said to give it time to settle in but they were right.

Thank you all for your help

ETPhoneHomeT likes this.
    06-03-2014 05:34 AM
    ^^^^ good to hear!
    06-03-2014 09:35 PM
50 12