Help me either choose or avoid moto x?

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. Quite new to android central and Android os in general.

I was an iPhone user since the first one up to to iPhone 5c and recently purchased a note 2 to try out android. I spent a few weeks constantly switching between the 2 but have spent a good couple of weeks solid on the note and really enjoy android.

I'm starting to feel though that the note is a little too big (for me) and find myself really wanting a moto x.

I've never held, used or even seen one in action yet from the reviews I've read I think it'll be a great device for me. Although I find the note too big now, I couldn't go back to the 4" iPhone screen.

A few points to consider:

- I'm not interested in waiting for the X+1. I never buy phones as soon as they're released for loss of reasons

- Not to fussed about removable batteries as I have external juice pack and drive a lot with a car charger

- Not had a problem with touch wiz

- Am in the UK and can only find 16gb models, this worries me slightly. Not that I do store a lot of media, but get some kind of comfort in knowing I can when going on holiday etc. What are the workarounds for this?

- Not much of a photographer, as long as family snaps etc are adequate I'm happy

- Not fixed weather my device has 720p, 1080p or beyond. 720 is more than enough quality for me on my phone and personally I think the upgrade to 1080 isn't worth the battery trade off.

So any advise you can offer, positive or negative that will help me decide would be gratefully received. Anyone switched from iPhone or note range to moto x?

Another important thing, backing up data? What is the most reliable way? The helium app on play store claims not to be compatible with Motorola phones.

Thanks in advance guys and gals. I must admit, android central is one of the main reasons I'm sticking android. Love what a great, helpful community you are on a whole and look forward to being a part of it

Paul

Posted via Android Central App

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The ergonomics of the X are unparalleled among all phones. Feels great in the hand, is thin and light, and has outstanding screen/size ratio.
The other standout feature for me is the touchless controls/moto assist when I'm driving. I can get a surprising amount done without having to pick up the phone.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Quite new to android central and Android os in general.

I was an iPhone user since the first one up to to iPhone 5c and recently purchased a note 2 to try out android. I spent a few weeks constantly switching between the 2 but have spent a good couple of weeks solid on the note and really enjoy android.

I'm starting to feel though that the note is a little too big (for me) and find myself really wanting a moto x.

I've never held, used or even seen one in action yet from the reviews I've read I think it'll be a great device for me. Although I find the note too big now, I couldn't go back to the 4" iPhone screen.

You sound like a perfect candidate for a Moto X. The Moto X was focused more on user experience than specs and it was targeted as an Android device that would be easy for an iPhone user to transition to. I find it's 4.7" screen size with limited bezel to be perfect for my wants and needs. I have N7 and N10 tablets to use at home so I have no desire to tote around a phablet with screen sizes in excess of 5.0". The Moto X can be operated with one hand and is easily pocketable.

A few points to consider:

- I'm not interested in waiting for the X+1. I never buy phones as soon as they're released for loss of reasons

- Not to fussed about removable batteries as I have external juice pack and drive a lot with a car charger

- Not had a problem with touch wiz

If you don't have a problem with touch wiz, then a Samsung Galaxy phone might fit the bill. However I don't care for the cheap plastic construction of the Samsung phones and although I don't know about the latest SGS5, earlier Samsung Galaxy models were known to become slow and laggy after awhile because of their heavier skin. I've had my Moto X for about 6 months now and it's still operating as smooth and fast as it did when brand new. Motorola innovated with their X8 mobile computing system and from my experience, it works great for lag free operation combined with optimized battery consumption. Motorola hardware build has a solid reputation and also their phone radios are considered to among the best at reception.

- Am in the UK and can only find 16gb models, this worries me slightly. Not that I do store a lot of media, but get some kind of comfort in knowing I can when going on holiday etc. What are the workarounds for this?

I don't know if they offer it in the UK, but here in the US, they offer 50gb of free Google Drive cloud storage for 2 years with a Moto X purchase. Beyond that, although I've never used one, there are devices such as a Meenova or Leef Bridge on the market for expanded storage capability.

- Not much of a photographer, as long as family snaps etc are adequate I'm happy

I find the Moto X camera to perform adequately except in low or difficult lighting situations where it does struggle a bit and provides photos with a lot of noise. Its camera has been fine for my needs.

- Not fixed weather my device has 720p, 1080p or beyond. 720 is more than enough quality for me on my phone and personally I think the upgrade to 1080 isn't worth the battery trade off.

Moto went with 720p on the Moto X exactly for those reasons. Battery life is better with 720p and in a 4.7" screen, a 1080p resolution isn't needed, unless you have super human vision. OLED screen provides deeper blacks and more color saturation than LCD and the OLED was needed for efficient operation of the Active Notifications feature which is a great feature.

So any advise you can offer, positive or negative that will help me decide would be gratefully received. Anyone switched from iPhone or note range to moto x?

Another important thing, backing up data? What is the most reliable way? The helium app on play store claims not to be compatible with Motorola phones.

I've used My Backup Pro and it seems to work fine. If you're rooted, supposedly Titanium Backup is the way to go.

Thanks in advance guys and gals. I must admit, android central is one of the main reasons I'm sticking android. Love what a great, helpful community you are on a whole and look forward to being a part of it

Paul

Hope this has helped. For me, the Moto X has been the best smartphone I've ever owned. I like the close to stock Android experience with a few added Moto software features that are genuinely useful. I'm admittedly partial to Moto as I've owned a Moto Q, Droid X and Droid Razr Maxx and have been pleased with each and every one. Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any other questions.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for such a comprehensive reply! Think it's time to start looking!

Trust us you wont regret it.. Im very picky about the phone I use...I had Samsung infuse, S3 and Lg g pro.. And I just got my moto x recently.. And I'll tell you.. Its the best phonne by far for me! Touchless control is awesome... Battery is good enough to last throughout the day.. And dnt mind the specs, bc this badboy right here? I never experience any lags or hiccup! even with a lot of apps open at the same time! But what I really like about this fone is the perfect screen size and perfect feeling when you hold it!

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Trust us you wont regret it.. Im very picky about the phone I use...I had Samsung infuse, S3 and Lg g pro.. And I just got my moto x recently.. And I'll tell you.. Its the best phonne by far for me! Touchless control is awesome... Battery is good enough to last throughout the day.. And dnt mind the specs, bc this badboy right here? I never experience any lags or hiccup! even with a lot of apps open at the same time! But what I really like about this fone is the perfect screen size and perfect feeling when you hold it!

Thanks, just need to find a good unlocked UK deal

Wlctttrue

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the Moto X. I am coming from the iPhone4s. And I thought I would miss it but this phone is great. its not flashy but it still delivers an excellent experience.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Found a buyer for my note 2 which covers the cost of a moto x 16gb unlocked UK version (no 32gb over here). So anyone think I'm making a bad choice?

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Found a buyer for my note 2 which covers the cost of a moto x 16gb unlocked UK version (no 32gb over here). So anyone think I'm making a bad choice?

I think you're making a great choice. But I have to ask about your concerns with storage and backup.

1. Do pictures and videos take up a large amount of your space? Or is it music? If pictures and videos, then you can use Google+ to backup: unlimited free storage if photos are uploaded at standard resolution of 2048 px (make sure to specify that in settings). Videos longer than 15 minutes will count towards storage.

2. What do you backup with Helium? Apps and app data? Documents?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, mostly pics on my phone. Used to have lots of music but I have unlimited data and Google play all access.

Not using anything yet as backup for app data as still new to android

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
you made a rly good choice! i'm gonna join the guys here and say the Moto X is the best smartphone i ever had!

size is perfect, grip is comfortable as hell, amazing fast and smooth performance and the cool awesome resources that makes it somewhat unique: touchless control and active display!

sent from my Moto X <3

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, mostly pics on my phone. Used to have lots of music but I have unlimited data and Google play all access.

I was a bit concerned about storage when buying my 16 GB Moto X, especially since photos are higher quality and take up space faster these days. But my photos are for practical purposes and memories, not super fancy photography. That's why I personally don't mind autobackup to Google for unlimited storage at 2048 px instead of full resolution.

If you like to keep full resolution photos, with Android it's easy to transfer those photos to a computer. It's as simple as copying and pasting the files from the phone to a folder on the computer (via USB). I used to do this, but I prefer Google+ now.

With Google+ autobackup, you can delete the photos from your phone's memory and still see the photos using Google+ / Photos app on your phone. I rarely touch my laptop anymore.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered for next day delivery from Amazon UK....... Can't wait!!

Would love any more advise anyone has to offer, especially on backing up app data etc on the x.

I get 7 days to return it but hopefully this is the one that'll finally let me sell my iPhone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unlike Android devices I've had prior, this Moto X isn't slowing down.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com

I agree with what everyone has said so far about the X. It is a GREAT device. I am happy I got it!! And would buy it again today if I was looking for a new phone.

That being sad, I used a 16 gig demo X before buying my Dev Edition (32 gig). 16 wasn't enough for me, but I store music locally. While I have unlimited data too, and use Rhapsody (unlimited streaming) and Google Play Music (with stuff I uploaded), when in the car or walking around, I'd have issues if there was just a slight "hiccup" in coverage, or if there was a switch between 3G and 4G. Then again, I haven't run into that as much in the past few months.

Using Google+ to auto backup your pix/video is a great idea. Not sure if Google still includes the 50gig Google Drive space with the X purchase anymore, if they do, you can use G+ autobackup to upload as full size pix/video. But it isn't easy to get the pix down your PC later from G+. Or use something like Dropbox (easy to get to your PC). Once the pix/videos are uploaded, delete them from your phone to make space.

Right now, I have 4.18GB available on my X. I have used 4.4GB apps, 761MB pix/video, 11.44GB audio (music, ring tones, etc), 154MB downloads (some PDF's and such), 1.4GB Cached data, and 2.53GB misc. And the only reason my pix are down to 761MB is because I cleared off a bunch to make space for when I went down to Disney World three weeks ago, otherwise there would be more pix on my X.

Considering it says total space on my 32gig is 26.33GB and I'm using 22.15gig you can see why 16GB wasn't enough for me. If I didn't have any music, I'd be using 10.71GB

How much is free on a 16GB to start? Is it about 13GB (or half what is available on a 32gig model)?

I know a few people who can manage with only 16gig, then its a great deal.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Shame it's just the 16gb that available in the UK. Don't suppose anyone fancies explaining this 'USB otg' I keep hearing about? What do I need and is it a suitable replacement?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Shame it's just the 16gb that available in the UK. Don't suppose anyone fancies explaining this 'USB otg' I keep hearing about? What do I need and is it a suitable replacement?

In this context, a USB OTG cable will allow you to plug in a flash drive to use with your Moto X.

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget to switch off iMessage before clearing down the iPhone.
If you've already done so I believe you can switch it off via iCloud.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692