Help me either choose or avoid moto x?

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I just came from a Nexus 5 and got my Moto X today so can give my opinion on the things I like.

I've moved from a 1080p to 720p screen and I 100% cannot tell the difference, I've held them up next to each other and I literally cannot see any change so I was pleased about that.

Camera wise, the X is pretty decent (It's no DSLR but what camera is!?) In low light shots it seems better than my N5, haven't really taken many in the day but they seem pretty decent!

Active Display is just.... awesome, very very handy feature! Touchless control I used for the first time earlier as my mum said 'I wonder what the weather will be tomorrow'. My phone was on the arm of the sofa just out of arms reach.... no bother, just said 'Ok google now, whats the weather for tomorrow' and about 1-2 seconds later she told me... extremely cool! Also tried a few other commands like... 'Ok google now, play <Say artist>' or even 'Ok google now, play <say artist> <say song or album name>'. It's also really cool for 'Ok google now, navigate to <my nearest o2 store>' etc :) Very useful feature, it even picked up my voice on the other side of the room!

The phone fits nicely in my hand, apparently it's only a whisker bigger than a iPhone 5/5s despite having a bigger screen, build quality seems rock solid from what I can tell and it's just the right weight without being heavy!

I moved from a snapdragon 800 to this X8 Dual Core and most apps open just as quickly if not quicker... web browsing seems about the same speed as my N5, i'm really surprised that the extra grunt the N5 has doesn't really make any difference (Proof that optimization really is king!)

You get 50GB of free google drive storage when you purchase the phone and google give you 15gb anyway so 65gb in total (To redeem the offer open the google drive app and sign in). I store a lot of documents on there, I back up all my pictures to Google+ Photos and my music is on Google Play Music (Although have downloaded my most commonly listened to albums to save on data costs in the car etc). I don't store much on my device for that reason!

Hopefully my ltitle 'review' helped! I'm in the UK too :)

Last edited:

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, great review there. I received my X over the weekend and must say I'm lovin it!

As I'd read a lot of negative stuff about the camera I was expecting it to be terrible but I find it fine for my typical usage so that's a bonus.

Posted via Android Central App

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, great review there. I received my X over the weekend and must say I'm lovin it!

As I'd read a lot of negative stuff about the camera I was expecting it to be terrible but I find it fine for my typical usage so that's a bonus.

Now post a pic of your custom moto x :)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, don't rub it in! To be fair, the black one suits me.

I bought mine on motomaker, and choose to get black. I think it looks nice.

I back up my photos on drop box until I get around to putting than on my laptop. That's another storage option for you.

Also, for future reference, most unlocked developer version US phones can be used in the UK. You need to check what bands they use for data, but if they are unlocked and have the right bands, you can buy one used or something and just get a local SIM.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Give the battery a few days to settle in. Once it does, you will probably be more than satisfied with it. I love the form factor and size. For me, I think that is the sweet spot they should aim for when building a phone. It isn't too big to use one handed, the OS and hardware are optimized, so to compare the X against even the Note 3, the X will give the Note 3 a good run for it's money.
I love the active notifications, and the always listening. If you have yours turned on, say, 'OK, Google Now, do a barrel roll'. I love that easter egg....

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Give the battery a few days to settle in. Once it does, you will probably be more than satisfied with it. I love the form factor and size. For me, I think that is the sweet spot they should aim for when building a phone. It isn't too big to use one handed, the OS and hardware are optimized, so to compare the X against even the Note 3, the X will give the Note 3 a good run for it's money.
I love the active notifications, and the always listening. If you have yours turned on, say, 'OK, Google Now, do a barrel roll'. I love that easter egg....

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

Yeah, the battery is the only thing concerning me at the moment. I'm lucky to get 12 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Is that normal?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, don't rub it in! To be fair, the black one suits me.

Ha Ha I dont have a custom one either. :)
Enjoy your phone
I have the black 16GB model which at the time was the only model/ and gb size, my carrier had.
It has been flawless so I had no real reason to update just for a custom one.

Yeah, the battery is the only thing concerning me at the moment. I'm lucky to get 12 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Is that normal?

As Golfdriver97 suggested I would let it go though several battery charging cycles to settle in.If you still think the battery life isnt up to par afterwards you can post some screen shots of the battery stats for us to look at and see if it looks normal. :)

PS : "That barrel roll " Golfdriver mentioned in his post is kinda cool :cool:

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, here's a couple of screen shots. To be honest, I still don't really understand how to decipher the battery info as android is still pretty new to me!

Also, the haptic feedback is a little 'tinny' and rough, is that normal?

Attachments

• 916.jpg
    916.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 915.jpg
    915.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 132

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Would've love to know how to improve this

Attachments

• 918.jpg
    918.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 121
  • 917.jpg
    917.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 117
  • 919.jpg
    919.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 115

devilsfl

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm jumping on this post because I have a Nexus 5 that I ordered right when it came out. I initially loved it and I still like it a lot but there's been some bugs/things I don't like (battery, gps, dropping signal) and I'm contemplating switching to a Moto X. I love the idea of the active notifications, the driving mode, and the better battery management. (Also I'm a sucker for the colors).
I'd get the 32gb and I can get an education discount...

Although the above poster is making me a little worried with those screenshots for battery. So any input/personal experiences would be great.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Would've love to know how to improve this

Looks to me like you're a power user or else you just are having too much fun and can't put the phone down. Your phone is awake and your screen is on a high percentage of the time in your graphs. Lower the screen brightness if you haven't done so already to the lowest possible setting and still be able to view easily. Is this type of usage typical for previous smartphones that you've owned? If so, I wouldn't think they would have lasted any longer on a single charge unless you have one of the phones with battery capacity over 3,000 mAh.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I changed these things to improve my battery.Also I have Battery Saver turned on.

I have my screen set just about 1/3 of the way up.So mine is turned down pretty low 90% of the time.
I don't have Auto ticked on for the screen brightness .(I just manually set)
I do have to adjust screen up brighter if I am outside,, especially if in bright sunlight but for me that isn't a big deal.
I also have the display to sleep after 30 seconds of inactivity.(screeen shot showing this)
ygevetyh.jpg

These are even more of a personal preference then above:

I don't auto sync anything Settings:>Google>Accounts but 2 things : Google+, and Google Wallet.
Actually the things I do sync for me but manually are >calender,chrome,contacts,drive,people details . I sync those when needed or if I added changes to those things.
I don't use Google Now cards at all.
I do use the Google Now voice commands though ("ok Google Now" > "Whats the weather Like" ...,etc. voice navigation.. " ok google navigate to " ..... )
I leave GPS,Bluetooth,always on even when I am not using it (just so I dont have to toggle it on when needed)
Edit: I dont use the Battery Saver feature related to GPS.I leave that on High Accuracy.

Last edited:

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Moto x for 3 days, the first 2 days the battery was awful... I made sure to let it run empty, fully re-charge before even touching and today I've managed to get the following (Trying to kill the thing before bed!)

Screenshot_2014-05-27-21-45-42.png
Screenshot_2014-05-27-21-45-55.png

The one thing im still experimenting with is 'High Accuracy' vs 'Battery Saver'... Will keep testing it more but mine seems to be doing very well!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173