Moto X - Poor Battery Life

ybcb

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if I have a defective model or not, cause I'm not impressed with its battery life.

It's an unlocked version:
-screen brightness at lowest at all time
-Airplane mode all the time (Wifi is still turned on)
-Auto-sync is off
-Location is off
-Battery Saver is on
-wifi off when screen is off
-sound is off, no vibration

Yet, in a day, I barely get 4 hours screen on-time (little gaming, mainly browsing)
But when I play a moderately intense game, 16% is gone after 35 minutes.

Is this normal for the Moto X? :-\

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Games drink my battery like Kool Aid. Honestly the Moto X has a respectable battery life but I've never found it anything to write home about..

Posted via Android Central App

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Browsing on wifi I get approx a 15% drain per hour. On a decent 4G connection an hour of browsing drains about 18% per hour.
On wifi I would think you should get through 18 hours with 4 hours of browsing before the low battery warning

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had a recent problem with my battery life, but of a slightly different nature. I only use my phone at work during my breaks, and it used to be that I would get home at the end of an 8 hour shift with 75% of my battery life LEFT. Now, I'm lucky to get through the same 8 hour shift without the battery dying. I haven't increased my usage (if anything, I've decreased it, since I've recently started bringing my Kindle to work so I can read on my breaks instead of using the phone.) It might be the wifi, since it sometimes has issues, but that hasn't really changed either.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had a recent problem with my battery life, but of a slightly different nature. I only use my phone at work during my breaks, and it used to be that I would get home at the end of an 8 hour shift with 75% of my battery life LEFT. Now, I'm lucky to get through the same 8 hour shift without the battery dying. I haven't increased my usage (if anything, I've decreased it, since I've recently started bringing my Kindle to work so I can read on my breaks instead of using the phone.) It might be the wifi, since it sometimes has issues, but that hasn't really changed either.

My battery has been draining much faster than normal for the past few weeks. It used to make it all day, but now I have to charge at by afternoon or evening, sometimes more than once. I think it started around the time of the recent Hangouts update, and I saw a post somewhere else blaming that for battery drain, but I can't really say if it's that. Something has changed, though.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
My battery has been draining much faster than normal for the past few weeks. It used to make it all day, but now I have to charge at by afternoon or evening, sometimes more than once. I think it started around the time of the recent Hangouts update, and I saw a post somewhere else blaming that for battery drain, but I can't really say if it's that. Something has changed, though.

Same here. I also heard about the Hangouts battery drain problem that is supposed to be fixed really soon. I hadn't been using the Battery Saver setting, but recently enabled it, and it's compensating pretty well. My standby battery drain is now very respectable and overall performance hasn't suffered any noticeable degradation.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

ah, thanks for this! I'll wait and see if it gets fixed, but I'll have to start bringing a charging cable to work with me in the meantime.

mojofusion

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings and click the battery icon. There you will see what is using up your battery.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings and click the battery icon. There you will see what is using up your battery.

Except it really doesn't. "Android OS" and "Screen" are at the top of the list, always, and that really doesn't tell me what specifically is using the battery. All that tells me is that the phone has been on, and that the screen has been in use for a specific amount of time. Most of the day, my phone is set screen facing down in front of me, not in constant use.

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
weird mine has been also lately..never did before....I too thought it was the phone getting old...maybe theres a software problem effecting all of us...my use pattern didnt change either.

tinytiger87

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
i usually just turn the LTE off...i downloaded an app called LTE on/off youd be surprised how much longer you can stretch your battery without it. and HSPA+ is MORE than fast enough for anything that I do...

nwaves

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
4.4.2 introduced a camera battery bug. Every time you open the camera app, the process remained open after you closed the camera app and drained the battery pretty fast. 4.4.3 seems to have quashed this bug, battery life significantly improved since the last upgrade.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have also noticed my battery has been dying quickly. I am not sure if the Hangouts update had anything to do with it, as that app hasn't been showing up in GSam battery or the main battery stats menu. I recently realized that Instagram is having problems and uses a TON of battery, but I've been careful with that app and I am still seeing significantly faster drain. Hopefully 4.4.3/a hangouts update can address some of the issues.

Ualrdynodo

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been dying faster too now. I remember before the kit Kat update the screen would be dimmer so after kit Kat my battery life took a hit.

NikkiMT

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same issues with battery lately. I can't make it through the work day without getting a low battery warning. A few months ago I could go a few days without charging. Now I have to plug in the phone to charge during the day and then overnight. It has to be due to most recent updates. I would love to be able to rely on my phone again soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz