Crashing Most of the Apps after 4.4.3 update

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
this is a total disaster for me. Is there any other way to go back to 4.4.2?
Android is so bad in backing up every time there's system update.
:( Please help guys.

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you cleared your system cache partition? https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache/action/auth

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Thank you for the help P.Diddy. I tried but message app still crashes. I use hangouts all the time. I tried using other 3rd party sms apps but still it crashes.
This procedure will certainly help in my future problems with android.

anything more you can suggest to repair sms app? Thanks for your time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have the latest version, which is 2.1.224. If you don't have it yet, wait for it to become available for your device. Google apps get updated on a rolling basis, so not everyone gets them at the same time.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the latest version, which is 2.1.224. If you don't have it yet, wait for it to become available for your device. Google apps get updated on a rolling basis, so not everyone gets them at the same time.

I'm running Google Hangouts 2.1.224 and I'm having this exact same problem. Whenever I enter in a conversation, and start typing, Google Hangouts with freeze momentarily, and then crash asking me to send a crash report. I have done this already...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I wonder how widespread the problem is? Hopefully we'll know soon. Maybe there'll be a quick bugfix update for Hangouts.

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Google Hangouts 2.1.224 and I'm having this exact same problem. Whenever I enter in a conversation, and start typing, Google Hangouts with freeze momentarily, and then crash asking me to send a crash report. I have done this already...

exactly exactly exactly. If you try to install 3rd party sms apps it will crash as well.
This is not just in hangouts. It's with 4.4.3 (maybe for moto x only).

I can no longer send sms. It's either I have to buy or use a new phone for a while. This is killing me.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
What in reading is the problem is for people who froze the stock sms app with titanium or similar app. Unfreeze the stock sms app, clear the app defaults, and reboot.

Even if you didn't freeze the stock sms app try changing the default back to stock in settings/wireless&networks/more/default sms app, then change it back.

zman81

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this same issue and the only fix i had was to go into the apps and hit the button in the top right corner( 3 dots) and select "reset app preferences".

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
waze crashing.
Nova launch freezing but not so frequent.
sms is useless. A disaster. A catastrophe!

Is there any way to back up android like in iTunes for iPhone?
I need to restore to factory settings. My Motor X is almost useless now :( so so sad.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
How many of you with crashes are rooted? I'm full stock uprooted ever and it was a perfect update for me.

Posted via Android Central App

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
hangouts was updated yesterday, do people still have issues with new update?

also, is this problem happening only with rooted phones?

anthony1117

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted and having the same problem. And now I cannot even enable the messaging app. I disabled it because I do all messaging through the hangout

Posted via Android Central App

ougrad1

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have had the inverse with the update. I was having issues with Iphone imessages not showing up in my default texting app. After the update yesterday, they are coming in again without the issues you guys are mentioning. I'm not rooted, use stock moto x sms and nova launcher. My battery is also better with 4.3 too Weird.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
From xda
Problem
-------------
Hangouts crashes trying to send SMS after 4.4.3 upgrade. 3rd Party apps do the same. As soon as you start typing hangouts crashes.
You disabled "Messaging" before the upgrade and can't re-enable it. "Enable" is grayed out in the Settings->Apps menu.

Solution
---------
In the Settings->apps menu - the 3 dots menu has a "Reset App Preferences" option. It re-enables ALL disabled apps. This will fix sending SMS/MMS. You can't have it disabled in 4.4.3 safely.

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

wheeeeew. at long last. This solved the problem. I did reset all app preferences. I was totally pissed off the whole day. A lot of my appointments were messed because of this freaking update.

Next time I have to be careful with updates. Wait at least a week or so before diving in. Or have two phones either different platforms or not.

Thanks a lot. :D