Dalvik vs ART. thought and opinions

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Switched to android run time instead of davlik or dalvik not sure on spelling. Did some reading up and has seen mostly positive reviews on art. Anyone want to chime in. Placebo effect ? Or actual performance improvement. Not that the x was slow in the first place.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Switched to android run time instead of davlik or dalvik not sure on spelling. Did some reading up and has seen mostly positive reviews on art. Anyone want to chime in. Placebo effect ? Or actual performance improvement. Not that the x was slow in the first place.

That's why I just stuck to Dalvik. It's kinda like the 'ole saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".Also from discussion and responses I read in the Moto X section,it sounds more like placebo effect.But nothing wrong with trying it for yourself,maybe report back how it goes for you once you have tested it long enough to know any differences/improvements . :)

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Developer options < run time. switch delvik to art. And I'm not quite sure yet Ive had it on for 2 days now. I think I'm seeing slightly better battery life and faster opening of apps. Mind u very very small differences. I'll report back once if gotten into it more. Hopefully in 4.5 or 5.0 whatever art is in full swing. Trying it on my nexus 7 as well.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Been running it since I got my X in Nov 2013. Never have run dalvik. ART is still a work in progress for developers but it's been fine for me with Android updates and a few apps. Battery life has been pretty good with light / medium use running about 2-3 days between charges.

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just switched back to dalvik. I will be switching back to art in a second after I'm done posting there is definitely noticable difference. In almost everything. Keyboard pulls up quicker apps load quicker chrome loads quicker. So I recommend it for anyone looking into it. Although still in beta it does feel faster by a little bit. In everyday use

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been running ART since the update to Kit Kat and have never had any problems with it. At the time I noticed the smoother scrolling, but my battery life basically stayed the same. It was good before and good after. I haven't had any issues with apps, other than that "Google Play Services has stopped" error popping up every so often, but that went away after one of Motorola's updates.