Instagram Hogging Resources, Making Moto X very hot

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in, but figured I'd put it under Moto X in case it's a phone-specific problem.

Lately (last 2-3 weeks), I've noticed that whenever I open Instagram, my Moto X gets very hot and the battery dies very quickly. The battery is depleting at about 10% every 5 minutes, even while not in use. My phone also gets extremely hot, and very very laggy. The only way to stop the drain is to force stop Instagram and/or reboot the phone.

I noticed today that when I plugged my phone in to charge (via computer), the battery was level was going down even while the screen was off, phone plugged in, and not being used. The app "Clean Master", which I use to clear cache's occasionally, popped up with a notification saying Instagram was using 98% of the CPU resources. I force closed Instagram, rebooted, and everything was fine.

One thing I've noticed is that Instagram seems to take over screen brightness controls, as my phone seems to jump to 100% brightness whenever I'm using the app. I know this could drain the battery quickly, but it doesn't seem to explain the extreme CPU usage or the phone heating up. These problems happen everytime I open Instagram, it doesn't seem to happen when I receive Instagram push notifications, until I access the app.

Anyone else having similar problems with Instagram on their Moto X?

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have had the same problem but off and on. Not sure what the cause is but I did notice it when it can't update the "news" part of the app when someone likes my photo etc.

Posted via Android Central App

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have also noticed issues refreshing the "news/notifications" part of the app. I assumed it was my network connection, switching from WiFi to LTE or opposite usually solves that problem for me, but doesn't seem to do anything about battery drain.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X