08-22-2014 09:39 AM
48 12
tools
    Yeah same here. Uninstall update and works fine
    06-27-2014 02:06 PM
    Interestingly enough my Maps updated last night OTA to v. 8.1.1. I'll see how that works...
    06-27-2014 02:20 PM
    I just went on two 30 min drives with 8.1.1 and no freezes. I'll be on a few 6 hour drives next week hopefully it holds up.
    edgar likes this.
    06-27-2014 07:13 PM
    using 8.1.1 and last night, map went black stopped working had to restart. Why wont they fix this?
    edgar likes this.
    06-28-2014 06:09 AM
    I just saw this thread, and I was actually kind of amazed that this issue exists. I use Google Maps Navigation at least once a day for my job. In fact, in the last 4 days I have had to use it four or five times everyday as I'm working in an unfamiliar area and I've had to go pick up supplies at various places. I have never had Google Maps misbehave on my Moto X. I am using the latest version and update it every time a new version comes out.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    06-28-2014 12:13 PM
    Hmm, I seem to be on version 7.4. Maybe I won't update it.
    06-29-2014 09:58 PM
    Yeah, google has been sending out tons of Google Maps update on the Play Store I just haven't done anything updates until they fix the one freezing while navigation mode issue like I said, I just won't update its not worth it if its too much in one piece of software they put out for the phone doesn't work correctly unless you're on 7.1 version

Posted via Android Central App
    06-30-2014 05:50 AM
    I am having the same issues with the maps freezing and/or just shutting down. I LOVE the new options with the update but I was traveling yesterday and the maps shut down at least 4 times in a 4 hour drive!! I hope they get this fixed fast!
    07-03-2014 10:15 AM
    Well unfortunately, they haven't fixed it yet I too would have updated my Google Maps app on my phone. Until they fix the one holding glitch I'm not up for any yet just leaving it on the 7.1 version that it is on that which is very consistent and reliable

07-03-2014 10:35 AM
    Has anyone experienced the new version of Google Maps freezing during navigation where the entire user interface freezes and crashes and you have to close it out and we started during your navigation trip? I have been experiencing this quite often and was wondering if anyone else has as well? I love Google Maps but if it keeps on messing up I might have to say try waze

This has happened on my Moto X. It started after I updated to kitkat 4.4.3. It just stops navigating completely. I'll check what version I have when I get home.
    07-03-2014 12:29 PM
    I've had the problem on 4.4.2/Sprint.
    07-03-2014 12:56 PM
    I thought it was just me. It's been crashing for several weeks. I thought it was because I installed waze but clearly that was not the cause. Hope this gets fixed soon.
    07-04-2014 03:04 PM
    Mine hung on me a few days ago while driving at night in the rain in Brooklyn - a place I'm not all that familiar with. Out knew where I was and kept telling me when and which way to turn, but the display was frozen.

On top of that, it kept trying to route me over the Manhattan bridge instead of the Verrazano bridge - a frustrating experience to say the least. I ended up using CoPilot instead.
    07-05-2014 06:17 PM
    I'm one of the lucky ones then I guess.
    Since I'm not having an issue with Maps freezing/or shuting down
    I am also using the 8.1.1 version.I use it 3 to 5 times a day.
    I haven't had it on for longer then an hour at a time the last few months though except once.
    07-06-2014 04:02 PM
    For me it wasn't a minute issue, it would not freeze one day and then freeze 5 times in row the next day very inconsistent unfortunately

07-06-2014 07:22 PM
    How long are you sing it on your drives? Maps will be running fine for almost 40 minutes before it decides to crash.
    07-08-2014 07:42 AM
    Anyone tried the new maps 8.2 for a long drive? Freezin'?
    07-18-2014 10:03 AM
    8.1.1 crashes for me too. I like the new features but it is so unreliable. I get the black screen and it crashes. ALL THE TIME!

Since uninstalling all of the updates and reverting back to the version that came installed on the phone (v6.8.1), it has not crashed a single time and I use it several hours each and everyday. I know some 7.x versions were stable too but I don't know when things started going awry.

Does anyone know what the latest, stable version is before these issues started cropping up? Is there a way to update to that version? Only 8.1.1 is available in the Play Store for me.
    07-18-2014 07:37 PM
    8.1.1 crashes for me too. I like the new features but it is so unreliable. I get the black screen and it crashes. ALL THE TIME!

Since uninstalling all of the updates and reverting back to the version that came installed on the phone (v6.8.1), it has not crashed a single time and I use it several hours each and everyday. I know some 7.x versions were stable too but I don't know when things started going awry.

Does anyone know what the latest, stable version is before these issues started cropping up? Is there a way to update to that version? Only 8.1.1 is available in the Play Store for me.
    You know something, I was wondering the same exact thing. There new voice controllers and the new version of Google Maps but that's not good if it keeps on freezing has anyone tried the new update yet?

07-18-2014 07:42 PM
    I was getting the freezing problem quite frequently with the previous version (not a black screen though), but I've been using 8.1.1 for a while and haven't had it freeze on me once. I've been using the navigation quite heavily in the last few weeks, too, since I've been traveling for work. YMMV I guess... I read today about yet another new version coming out (to be rolled out this week or so I guess) which includes route elevation maps for biking and some other goodies.
    Edit: Oops, I guess 8.1.1 *is* the updated version--it updated yesterday for me. But the version before that was good for me as well.
    07-18-2014 10:12 PM
    I haven't tried elected to the News Virginia I'm sort of waiting for someone else to me as I wanna deal with it for the issues that if you know what I mean

07-19-2014 06:26 AM
    So it just downloading update it to Google Maps version 8 .1 .1 from the Play Store, and thankfully so far no freezing I'll keep testing it but so far it seems like a good update finally! Here's a screenshot

Attached Thumbnails Google maps freezing-12648.jpg  
    07-20-2014 08:55 PM
    I have tried several times to make maps work. It works fine in an urban setting, not in rural settings.And here is why;

Google has decided to rely more on cell service than GPS. The reason I know this,I traveled on Rt 112 in NH from Lincoln to Conway, NH. This is know as the Kangamagus Highway, Kancamagus Highway in NH: Welcome to the Kancamagus Scenic Byway!

Well there are no Cell towers in the Forrest,so...Google maps does not work. My Garmin GPS Does though.

I called Google to ask why this happening, and I got this reply:

" Since the maps program is free,we do not support it"

Really?!?

Free??

Thought I bought your phone and your software.

Great customer service.

Well, I can't wait for the next company to come out with better operating systems. Google lost my business.
    08-22-2014 09:39 AM
48 12